The Night Before

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ledge71
Local

The Night Before

Post by ledge71 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Does anyone else get all excited the night before they're about to shape a board? Or before you're about to mix some resin tints together wondering what colour or design you're going to come up with? Or what cool spray job you're going to do!

Laying in bed replaying how you're going to do the rails, the depth of the concave, single, double, vee or none at all! How much red black pigment to add to the red...or maybe I should add some yellow too...but in what order?

It's like when you were young on Xmas Eve, the antisapatin and excitement!

Anyone guess what I'm doing tomorrow...
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: The Night Before

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:14 pm

even though i aint shaping at the moment ledge, I still go to bed dreaming of rail bands, how to use the planner more effectively, thinking of better tools to handmake for shaping channels, the undercut of the rail band, flat bottoms and there praticality and shaping a twinzer with a nice flat bottom and a moon tail, always, its a bloody disease, wether your shaping a board or not :shock:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Some Results...
Attachments
305.jpg
302a.jpg
296.jpg
294.jpg

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 pm

nice
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 pm

wingnut2443 wrote:How hard are the swirls ledge?

With the 'strips' ... are they on the foam or on the laminate / hotcoat?

I see you have some shapers fins ... you get your supplies from them too?
Swirls are pretty easy once you've made your first ten mistakes although I wanted more black in the mix so I suppose it's not that easy! Doing a cut lap and resin tint is a bit of an art and one that I'm far from mastering although I do enjoy the challenge. Problem with the resin tint is it takes a lot longer and mistakes can be hard to recover from i.e. Resin leaking under your tape etc. The up side is if you get it right they look great!

Stripes are on the foam. Just mixed normal paint from Bunnings with water and did the spray with my spray gun.

I've been using shapers for years. The guys are great and are always good value, I suppose I'd be like that too if I did a job I was so stoked about!
Attachments
034a.jpg
304.jpg
016.jpg
015.jpg

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:30 am

wingnut2443 wrote:Cool stuff ledge ... one day :roll: I might have a try at a resin tint ...
Don't forget Wingy you can do a resin tint on the blank pre actual laminating.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 am

ric_vidal wrote:
wingnut2443 wrote:Cool stuff ledge ... one day :roll: I might have a try at a resin tint ...
Don't forget Wingy you can do a resin tint on the blank pre actual laminating.
Yea, I'm keen to learn more, like what are the advantages etc? Is it because if you're new to it you run less risk of it F^*%ing it up during the laminating process? This was a problem I had with a few of my first ones (Bleeding, not soaking the cloth enough etc) so can see the advantages for guys trying their first few boards.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:19 am

As suggested… just tape up and do directly onto the foam, then glass over normally. Seen it done a few times, but haven't done it myself as not a huge fan of pigment tints.

Obvious advantage is not having to trim the lap.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

wingnut2443 wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:As suggested… just tape up and do directly onto the foam, then glass over normally. Seen it done a few times, but haven't done it myself as not a huge fan of pigment tints.

Obvious advantage is not having to trim the lap.
Thought that's what you'd say ...

I have not played with pigments ... yet :roll: ... reason for learning the cut lap, was so I could try a resin tint at some stage. I can see the ease in going onto the foam first, then laminating.

I'm guessing, it would be good to let the painted on resin lick a bit, but not fully set, before laminating?

And, for lack of confusion, I'm also guessing, the painted resin which is tinted is lam resin?
Yes, pigmented laminating resin anything else and it won't be a chemical bond, basically just seals the blank a bit so you should need less resin with the actual glass.

Don't think there is any great advantage in letting the resin lick (sp), I assume you meant kick.

I have seen some shocking tints of late with free laps instead of cut laps. You can imagine the result…

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Interesting, this technique would also be useful when doing different tints on the top and bottom. It's a pain doing a tint on the bottom, then the cut lap and then a different tint on the top. Might be something I'll try on the next board I do for myself, see how it turns out.