a stupid queston

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

surfywurfy
regular

Re: a stupid queston

Post by surfywurfy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 am

:D Fongs, its ok to stretch a planshape.The method i'd use for a 6" longer board would be by making a template of the copy board.Lay it on the blank with the nose section at the new length, draw the outline.Then do the same at the tail.SO, u then have the mid section with no lines.Mark each side of the blank 1/4(maybe 3/8)inch wider than the copy board.At the wide point put a tack or panel pin into blank, get a fishing rod and align it along the drawn lines and around the tack.Draw the outline along the FR.the result is an outline with very similar curves to the original board .Hope this helps.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:54 am

surfywurfy wrote::D Fongs, its ok to stretch a planshape.The method i'd use for a 6" longer board would be by making a template of the copy board.Lay it on the blank with the nose section at the new length, draw the outline.Then do the same at the tail.SO, u then have the mid section with no lines.Mark each side of the blank 1/4(maybe 3/8)inch wider than the copy board.At the wide point put a tack or panel pin into blank, get a fishing rod and align it along the drawn lines and around the tack.Draw the outline along the FR.the result is an outline with very similar curves to the original board .Hope this helps.
Stretching is one extreme, scaling is another, and there are infinite increments between the two it's best to do it properly though: make another template.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm

fongss wrote:and i have all ready made up my mind with regards the answer :lol:

if your got a board you really like....and you decide copy it ( the limit of my shapin skills)

than you should just copy it honestly...right :?:

not try and change things :?:
Well you can try to copy it...but with the best will in the world you prolly won't succeed.

You can opt to go the copy knowing you should be able to get sorta close, or to try something new but not far off.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:33 pm

I've tried it a couple of times fong, and I dunno what I ended up making but it looked and felt absolutely NOTHING like the original. It's lead me to believe that if you do decide to copy a board, change three critical things. Odds are that the effects of these will somehow neutralize the attributes you attempted to replicate, failing miserably.

The best boards I have made for myself followed this approach, for example, a single reverse-vee rounded-square thruster circa 1985 I re-birthed with 6 channels and 3/4" thinnner, with swallow tail. It went like a freakin' rocket. Also took a similar 3 fin board and made an edgier, shorter quad version that also went great.

Compare that to my compsand disaster from last year, where all the dimensions, fin setting and rail profile were reproduced as best I could from my fave thruster.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 am

Ah the old "one can't copy a magic board" myth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: