Hollow Biscuit

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

spork
barnacle

Re: Hollow Biscuit

Post by spork » Sun May 27, 2012 4:42 pm

True to my timeline I have the wee beastie finished and hanging on the wall to harden and wait for swell. Here's some pics for you viewing pleasure.
DSC_0040w.jpg
Bottom side view
DSC_0040w.jpg (68.71 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
DSC_0042w.jpg
Top side view
DSC_0042w.jpg (62.61 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
DSC_0044w.jpg
Nice clean lines
DSC_0044w.jpg (82.39 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
DSC_0046w.jpg
Concaves mean speed!
DSC_0046w.jpg (88.69 KiB) Viewed 5794 times
When it gets to this level of self important stupidity I lose interest.
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun May 27, 2012 5:27 pm

DSC_0053w.jpg
DSC_0053w.jpg (21.15 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
You should all know to start with that I am Dink, aka,- 'double income no kids' and I have a disposable income that would probably bring tears to your eyes. As a teacher i also have pretty well unlimited resources and a large amount of free time to indulge my desires. As I said before, I do have a comprehensive workshop that includes:
Various drills, a bandsaw, jigsaw, drop saw, planes, spokeshave, sanders, linishers, chisels, saws, squares, rules tapes, tons of masking/duct tape, grinders, buffs, sanders, boxes of sandpaper of various grades, sprayguns, a comressor, air tools etc etc etc. So, yea, well set up.
I do suffer bady from the artists dilemma, in other words perfection is unachieveable, at least to me and I see and feel every flaw and f'up along the way of these projects and i usaully don't get much sleep at night stressing over what I should have done and what I could have done. I made so many fundamental mistakes where I felt like giving up. Heres a list of the mistakes and f'ups i could have avoided and will avoid next time.
My cheap caulking gun broke while gluing the frame-got a new heavy duty one, too late now though!
Snapped several rail strips because i was too impatient with the steaming process.
Didn't allow for enough length when applying the rail strips, hence the cedar blocks in the tail.
Failed to take enough notice of the centre spine glue in, it now has an internal twist which fortunately does not effect the overall shape.
Planed through the rail strips where they meet the nose and had to put in internal blocking to hold up the front of the deck. Duh.
DSC_0086w.jpg
DSC_0086w.jpg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Ran out of the supplied (excellent) glue, Tite Bond waterproof, and decided to use polyurethane for the final deck mounting. I didn't realise that the urathane will foam up to fill the joint and then be a proper biach to sand into a nice join line, grrrrr, I should have researched the glue before hand and ordered some more tite bond.
DSC_0106w.jpg
DSC_0106w.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Snapped the bottom board in the tail because I didn't steam them before clamping, a fundamental mistake that caused me more stress than it actually needed to, you can't even see the repair i did.
DSC_0060w.jpg
DSC_0060w.jpg (22.95 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Snapped the top board because I clamped one of them outside of the flat sanded area, another fundamental mistake. Also filled and virtually undetectable, thankfully.
Sanded through the shark veneers, although this was always fraught with danger cos they are just 1.5mm thick and they where inserted before the the boards where bent over the deck.
Drove to Port Mac and back, an hour or so, to get some lambswool pads and cutting compound. Left the compound on their counter after getting distracted by the pretty checkout chick, aaaarrrrgghghghg!!!
DSC_0063w.jpg
DSC_0063w.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Sanded through the rail and had to appy more resin, jeysus effing christ!!!!!
There where a few more too, but I'm getting pissed orf just thinking about it.
Mind you I'm pretty happy with the final result, I didn't go back to town for the compound, I just buffed it with fibreglass compound which will not get deep scratches out cos its not course enough. So, its now virtually done, but i will get then scratches out tomorrow when i get the right stuff.
DSC_0068w.jpg
DSC_0068w.jpg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
Roy Stewart

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Sun May 27, 2012 8:54 pm

reading that made me once-and-for-all give up on the idea that one day I might do it myself.
I've got the perfectionist streak, but none of the skills or tools to actually be happy with what I produced.

Cheers, though, it's been great to watch. Can't wait for the ride report, think you said you've got one in foam so I'll be interested to hear how they compare.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Mon May 28, 2012 10:26 am

Just weighed it 4.6kg, thats about 300gm heavier than the MSF, so pretty happy with that.
Roy Stewart

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue May 29, 2012 10:21 am

Well done Spork. It came up really nice.

Good work too on concealing any flaws, you'll be the only one that notices. Are you chomping at the bit now to do another one, and nail it without making any errors?

Always a big learning process doing the 1st of anything. Even the best laid plans can go a bit pearshaped. No matter how prepared you get yourself with the planning, it's the actual doing of the process, and the inevitable opening of can of worms that really test you out. Fun innit!?

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Tue May 29, 2012 7:38 pm

Thanks tiger, I'm not ready for another one yet, but I'm keen to ride it asap. I will build something else down the track and the experience will make a massive difference to the quality. I think I could build the same board at least a kilo lighter just by applying some common sence and the right amount of adhesives and resins, which is where most of the weight is. The wooden blank is not very heavy at all and I think it would be worth experimenting if weight was a design parameter that you wanted to address.
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 pm

The wait is over, rode it yest'd arvo in 3ft waves. Its paddles really well and planes through fat sections easily. If you've ridden an old school heavy glassed thruster, then you've probably had the similar feeling to the wooden board. today was slightly bigger with long walls,so perfect for this style of board. It can't quite paddle as fast as a mal, but it is a whole lot more dynamic on the face and I managed a couple of nice roundhouses holding the rail line all the way through. I like it.
Roy Stewart

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Nice! So happy such a work of art goes well. Good on ya Spork!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 pm

tiger wrote:Always a big learning process doing the 1st of anything. Even the best laid plans can go a bit pearshaped.
So true, the second one is a breeze if you weren't too pissed to remember the mistakes you made on the first one.
tiger wrote:No matter how prepared you get yourself with the planning, it's the actual doing of the process, and the inevitable opening of can of worms that really test you out. Fun innit!?
Absolutely, that challenge, that constant problem solving, plus I think the perfectionist streak is all a part of it. If you're not a perfectionist you won't have half the problems, but the end result will be half-arsed. Who wants that.

Personally, I'm with alakaboo, not sure whether this has inspired me or made me realise it isn't worth doing. If you took a month it would easily be a 12 month job for me. Not so much free time, 2 kids, not as well equipped workshop.

Worse still, a perfectionist streak as long as your arm, too much patience for my own good, and like you, will always see the flaws.

Sweet work spork. This might be a goer after getting made redundant or something like that. I can do this instead of looking for a job. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that I am expecting a redundancy soon.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. The kit was pretty comprehensive and the materials where top notch. Some of the wood was not very well finished, but generaly it went together as they intended. I am already moving forward with the process of making one from scratch in the future. I'v purchased a router table and the neccessary bits to make my own rail strips and I have access to a thicknesser. I will purchace some paulownia in the future and make something else. I'm thinking of a 6'10" stepup pintail thruster, hollow, with a balsa bottom and Paulownia deck. The internals will also be laminated paulownia, so spars and ribs etc. will be much lighter than the ply ones from the kit. I'm also thinking of glassed on fins, saving complexity and weight. My aim is a superlight and strong wooden big wave weapon using timber and epoxy.
Roy Stewart

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:43 pm

That's just Beautiful - Well done Spork.

8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

tonka79
regular

Post by tonka79 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 pm

man, that looks amazing!!! very nice work 8)

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey Tonka toy! You can have a go next time yur in town.
Roy Stewart

spork
barnacle

Post by spork » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:08 pm

This is the one I made for my wall, made from solid paulownia and an old cedar blind.

http://www.minifliks.com/MyImages/bottom.jpg
Roy Stewart