Buying land

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Buying land

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:59 pm

If I can get back to work before August we will be buying 3 acres with three families, building our kit homes on it, 1 acre for community garden and having a community hall as well, spliting the rates between the 3 of us to make this cheaper as well, you well may ask why am i putting this up in the board design thread, because............ we need to put our stuff somewhere, so I will be buying a b grade 20 foot shipping container to put on the land, once the double garage is put up and we move into that, I can then start converting the container into a shaping bay, I will spit it in half I think buy building a wall seperating the container, will get some wirly birds on both ends and elictricity in there, wall in middle, two doors and each end. one side shaping, one side glassing. The other plus is I will be living totally off the land, putting electricity back into the grid, and having 3 acres for my kids to play in with the other families kids, keep this in the family forever and never ever sell. Oh may my back get better soon so I can be part of this wonderful project.

the plans went into council last week, we have contacts in the council, if it gets passed the only obstical is me and my health, i have to be working, photos will follow if I pull this dream life off
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Buying land

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Just found out we have decided against that block and going for one up the road at 15 acres. A fourth family is invited and the price goes up a little but not much.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:38 pm

Hope you can pull it off Digger.
Josh would know more about setting up a container as a shaping bay, but I would've thought they'd be pretty hard things to cut in half?
Reckon you'd be better off using the container for one or the other (guess glassing) and make a shed for the other.

ah, don't mind me, realised you just meant split in half by the wall... ))((
i'll just get my coat.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:58 am

alakaboo wrote:Hope you can pull it off Digger.
Josh would know more about setting up a container as a shaping bay, but I would've thought they'd be pretty hard things to cut in half?
Reckon you'd be better off using the container for one or the other (guess glassing) and make a shed for the other.

ah, don't mind me, realised you just meant split in half by the wall... ))((
i'll just get my coat.

Lol, yer talk a bit to josh and he loves his. In not sure if I can split it but time will tell mate. :wink:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:32 pm

Go for it digger. Got to be worth a try.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:46 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:Sounds promising.
5 hours in and there's already a change of plans.
Friends trying to price you out of the deal?

oh fcuk, just what we need, a realist.
Fcuk off muffink, we'll have none 'a that relism bullshit
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am

http://corrigan.austlii.edu.au/au/legis ... 80/s7.html

15 acres isnt enough to legally occupy, u need 10 hectares & thats 25 acres

then lots of technically bureaucratic too ing and froo ing with a council

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:12 am

sorry digger, i assumed you were in NSW.

other states may have a different minimum size and other requirements (geek)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:00 pm

surfywurfy wrote:sorry digger, i assumed you were in NSW.

other states may have a different minimum size and other requirements (geek)

surfwurfy you are on the money with this issue, im not sure of the rules exactly though I believe there are ways that we can still meet the rules. This is something we are in the process of investigating with outside help. As for 5 hours in lol, this has been a slow process which has been in planning since early december, and is starting only now to come into fruition, the reason I suggested to all involved in going to 15 acres is that there is a young couple with a bub on the way, he is only on a apprenticeship and will not get in to todays market so we want to give him a chance, 3 acres is good for 3, 15 acres is better for 4, we have a few options in the blocks we can get, but we are more so working on the plans to get us through, I will explain more if we can pull it off, it still could go pear shaped :(

But now onto the interesting stuff, Ive also decided not to split the 20 foot container with a dividing wall but to keep it as one bay, 20 foot long. Just in case, lord please forgive me, I decide one day to make a 9 foot long mal.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:05 pm

one must dream, a 20 foot long container transformed into a personilzed shaping bay, a house not hooked to the grid, a verendah with 2 rocking chairs, kids playing on heaps of land, and a few blanks sitting in the bay waiting to be shaped, plus living not to far from the beach, plus if a tsunami comes we will have beach front, oh lord I must dream........

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:With Tennants in Common it's far more fun to have odd numbers when it"s time to play Campbells & Mccoys

please explain :?:

gabsouy
regular

Post by gabsouy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:34 pm

digger, what shire ? only if you dont mind....

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:21 pm

^ That. :D You forgot

http://www.cifs.org.au/
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 pm

nuffink ngo wrote:option 1: commune evolves into the fiefdom of the dominant personality
option 2: division between group over differences in opinions so it becomes fueding minor cliques.
option 3: Everyone gets on really well,too well even, untill someone gets upset with a bit of promiscuity.
Add socially dysfunctional participent for even more fun.

this just cracks me up, wouldnt it become your worst nightmare if that happened :lol: :lol:,

research being down by two guys at the moment as how to get it through under the council laws for the are, im not really capable of doing it, just along for the ride. The land will be bought by a company which we will all set up, cant really explain the setup even though I fully understand it, cant get it out in words guys. Once approval or disapproval comes through, and it may take a while cause we aint looking at moving till august, then I will add more to the public forum and explain why it failed or what we have to adjust to get it to pass, but we are more than half way there for sure, worst case is only 1 permant dewelling and then a few sheds :wink: but we dont think it will come to that. Shite not sure how much I should say on a public forum at this stage but im heaps excited about the prospect, and just as excited about the SHAPING BAY THATS 20 FOOT LONG, WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO. Im more than willing to share on this forum how we get it through and set up once we have so that option is open as i think its a bloody great viable option for buying into housing, why buy a block with a house you dont need on it. I think the thought on talking about land should have been started in another section, specially since im meant to be a mod :oops: and might move this thread to the correct area, as you can tell im also excited about the prospect of a awesome shaping bay, which I will let anyone use that is up my way at anytime, all for the price of a beer :D

Hey Trev, should I move this thread to tangents mate, whats your thought

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:56 am

I thought about buying into a community with 40 five acre shares 24 years ago, shares were $12,000.
What put me off was the politics of having everyones heads pushing and pulling in different directions, one example was the cat and dog issue verses keeping the property a wildlife reserve, this argument went on for years.
Nuffinks advice is spot on.
The pluses and minuses need to be weighed up.
I ended up buying freehold.
If you are confident that the people you are sharing land with can be trusted then there are great rewards.
I found the owner builder trip to be the most rewarding thing that I have ever done in my life, I did every part of the process from drawing up the house plans to installing the solar system, made my own solar hot water system, built an open fireplace, dug all the trenches for the plumbing and made all the mud bricks.
Being not caught in the rent trap (paying someone else to live on this planet) gives you more freedom to enjoy the real things in life like surfing, gardening and making surfboards.

Regarding land title, if the land only has only one title this means only one first home owners grant, one watertank rebate, one solar rebate. Whereas on the community my brother lives on which has multiple occuppancy title, each individual household was able to get the first home owners grant and all the other rebates, this adds up to alot of money so is an important consideration.

My suggestion for your shaping container would be to put a sloping tin roof on it so as to create some air flow between the tin and the top of the container so that your workshed is cooler, add a gutter and use it to collect rainwater, the more rainwater collection areas the better. When I extended my shed I scored 2nd hand tin for a quarter of the price of new tin, the tin was from houses in Lismore that were hail damaged, some sheets had a few tiny dents, but basically it was a bargain.

Good luck.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:03 am

Jeez mate, great post

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:46 am

[quote="diggerdickson"

Hey Trev, should I move this thread to tangents mate, whats your thought[/quote]
Sure. Go ahead.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Interesting idea Digger. Hope it works out. Anyway to make life easier/ cheaper has to be a good thing.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism