jet bottom surfboards

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

silvynn
Grommet

Re: jet bottom surfboards

Post by silvynn » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I had a pipedream jet bottom in 1989/1990. The theory was it accelerated the water through the acid trip channels, giving you more down the line speed. Oh, and they looked cool. It certainly went faster than other boards I had at the time, but it was a PIG to turn. A real point break, barrel board. Beach breaks? Forgot it.

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I bought 2 pipedreams off of Earl in 1990 a 6'6" and a 7'0" made with J/Bay in mind , I spent a winter there riding those boards up to solid 10'. Fast is an understatement, but they worked best if you were constantly turning , you had to work those channnels to get the most out of them and the spray that would come of a turn was quit impressive. Surfed the same board for 2 months at Munduka and performed real well on backhand too.

Henno

Post by Henno » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 am

I'm up in Agnes and have ridden a few. The nozzle effect is definately apparent. They go unreal for mals. When I first went to Earl's to work on his house I seem to remember him telling me he wasn't allowed to do the whole bottom in jets when he was at pipedream. For some reason they would only let him do the belly section in the jet bottoms. When they go through all the way to the tail they work heaps better imho.

Come up to Agnes and you'll see heaps of em. A trip to Glen's shed on Anderson Way to see guitar boards and Nemo fish boards is worth a look as well.

Cheers all
Henno

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:56 pm

i saw a kook out on a jet bottom surfboard the other day and again this afternoon.... not as in channel jets, as in jet ski jets!!

Rustt
barnacle

Post by Rustt » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:38 pm

pirate_agenda wrote:i saw a kook out on a jet bottom surfboard the other day and again this afternoon.... not as in channel jets, as in jet ski jets!!

When I first looked at that pic, I thought that was a propeller on the back of his head. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:31 pm

So, what do you guys think of jet bottom surfboards?

Feel? Waves it surfs best in? Smaller wave capabilities?

I might have an opportunity to try one from the 90's soon. Wild looking thing.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:49 pm

do it , Al !

I want to know if that back fin on brett's will feel as trippy as the hydrofoil...

shall I post THAT shot , here ?

meanwhile , here are a couple of Simon's ....

cheers !

ben chipper [yes, he's not heavy ... he's my brother !]

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:21 pm

...the one of which you speak , capt al ?? ["cavey" , haha]

I'm still not quite sure WHICH looks more spacey , eh ?

... the erle pedersen jet bottom , or brett / 'surffoils' 'hydrofoil bottom" ??'

[my money is on brett's , though , as I've never seen another one , whereas I HAVE seen a few jet bottoms ....]

let us know how the jet bottom goes eh , Al ?

once the water warms here , hopefully I'll also get to ride a few of Simon's ones ....

And , here's a 'vented' one , that I photographed in Kingscliffe , c. 1981/2?....

the guy in the photo , Simon's mate Kim , still has a jet bottom in his quiver today , by the way ....

...kim lives in queenscliff nowadays ...in fact , not far at all from surffoils !!

It would be pretty cool , I reckon , if someone could get shots of them both surfing their jet bottom boards eh ...

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:53 pm

diggerdickson wrote:has anyone ridden one, I know earl is a master but im absolutely gobsmaked how all those crazy flutes would go with the water flow over the board, it doesnt look like it channels the water through the board efficently. If anyone can comment on this or give any insight I would love to hear it....
hi digs !

found this recently , from an old ASL mag article ...

hope it is helpful ??

Last edited by fins on Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:51 pm

another one of Simon's ...

fins
Grommet

Re: matticus .....

Post by fins » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:38 pm

yeeehaaaa.... a dimple bottom , channel bottom , asymetrical single fin !!

re: glassing and sanding .... what jick mebane said , on the " jick bottom" thread at swaylocks , was to the effect of ..... if you glass them slowly , and very carefully [ using small batches of resin at a time in / on / around the 'jets' ] , then you could end up with very minimal sanding to do at all ...

The other day , I came across a q and a info sheet , that Erle put together for his customers ...

if I can figure how , I could email it to you , if you like , leo / 'matticus' ?

cheers !

ben