BACKYARD SHAPERS

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: BACKYARD SHAPERS

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm

yes, thats all it is tiger, when I reglue it how am I meant to hold the foam to the stringer so it sets, I cant do this physically because of my back, normally thats what I would do mate, any suggestions for me tiger
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Tape

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:45 pm

tiger wrote:Tape
:lol: :lol: :lol: How stupid am I tiger, lol, when I read that i nearly feel off my chair, thanks mate. :D

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Digger , you can use an old car tyre cut into strips (like giant rubber bands), or you can use tie-downs , like the ones you use on yer roofracks........with the tie downs , put 3" square of ply (or similar) under the ratchet, so you dont put dints in the foam......and only enough ratchet pressure to hold the foam firmly on the stringer or you'll crush the rails of the blank..... :)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:20 pm

I tell ya guys, wasnt a great advertisement for the quality of the blanks, think I will always stick to midget now

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 pm

kayu wrote:Digger , you can use an old car tyre cut into strips (like giant rubber bands), or you can use tie-downs , like the ones you use on yer roofracks........with the tie downs , put 3" square of ply (or similar) under the ratchet, so you dont put dints in the foam......and only enough ratchet pressure to hold the foam firmly on the stringer or you'll crush the rails of the blank..... :)
Kayu, I guess you mean a car TUBE above.
A tyre might be a bit hard to cut up. :oops: :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Trev wrote:
kayu wrote:Digger , you can use an old car tyre cut into strips (like giant rubber bands), or you can use tie-downs , like the ones you use on yer roofracks........with the tie downs , put 3" square of ply (or similar) under the ratchet, so you dont put dints in the foam......and only enough ratchet pressure to hold the foam firmly on the stringer or you'll crush the rails of the blank..... :)
Kayu, I guess you mean a car TUBE above.
A tyre might be a bit hard to cut up. :oops: :wink:
Tubes !!! yeah...much easier than tyres,, :oops:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:18 pm

SALTMAN....bloody awesome 8)

can't wait hear the ride report...if it goes half good it looks :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:09 am

well done saltman, nice work indeed.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Question for ya saltman, how many boards have you done mate, it looks beautiful thats for sure, do you do your own glassing and sanding, how do you find fitting fcs, I havent done it yet, but thats mainly because I wanna master the art of glass in fins, and I havent yet, so im keeping on plugging away at it till I feel its time to move to fcs.

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:44 pm

And a whole lot later, an update!
Attached are a few shots of my son with his completed sled (questionable 9yr old's artwork included!).

After being a bit scared of the glassing process it really wasnt too bad, the UV cure made things really easy.......but the hours and hours of sanding nearly killed me, I hated that part.

Very happy with the way it turned out, it ended up being pretty much a 50/50 venture bewteen my son and I - and neither of us can wait to give it a go!!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:24 pm

A few I have just done. One for a guy I work with and one for ME ME ME!

Hint to first time board builders (specially if you want to glass them yourself) DO A PLAIN WHITE BOARD!

Nice boards on here guys, love seeing other back yard builders work. There's no such thing as a mistake when you're learning, they're just another step in getting it right.

Mick
Attachments
257.jpg
Only do a black board if you're experianced...Unfortunalty, I'm not! A lot of hard work in getting this right. The glassing is the killer.
256.jpg
Once again, a lot of time taken.
015.jpg
The exact same board, quick, easy and very effective. You want some colour then get a fancy deck grip when you're starting.
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:30 pm

I have a question that some of you may be able to help with...

A few of the boards I'm building are not getting as much drive off the bottom when in bigger surf i.e. 4ft+. I have a few ideas why but want to know if anyone else can shed some light on the matter...

- My I'm rounding off the bottom of my rails too early or to much.
- My sharp edge is not running up the tail of the board long enough.
- Not enough edge on my tucked under edge
- The board is a round tail...maybe too round for the bigger waves?
- Rails are too boxey?

Any ideas? Mark, are you out there?

I was looking at a mates board today who is an amazing surfer and has a few of Parko's boards (they grow up together) and his rails are a little boxier than what I'd expected as I thought you'd lose a bit of drive with the boxier rails? Maybe I need to go more pin tail for my boards overs 4ft?

Look forward to hearing from everyone!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:32 pm

Hey Mick. Are you still at home?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:01 pm

One more day Trev. Back to work Monday

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat May 05, 2012 10:44 am

my $0.02 legde, I doubt the problem is in the boxiness of the rails and more likely in the rear section somewhere. Sounds like you already have some theories and I'd be inclined to agree that the edge might not be hard / long enough through to the tail. I don't think a rounded pin would give you any grief at all, but a wider round tail might make it feel a bit waffly in bigger stuff.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:16 pm

Yea Dug, think we're ridding the same wave here. The sharpness along the back and the tucked under edge is the key I think. Also the larger round tail's not for bigger surf. I know as soon as I make something for the bigger and better days it'll go flat for a month!

Closing the shaping room down for a month. Next trip home is all about cleaning the shaping room up!!!!

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:29 am

I think drive comes from bottom curve and fins more than rail profile . Rails are more about contributing to how a board behaves into and out of a turn . Hard edge... hmmm.... That gives me an idea!