BACKYARD SHAPERS

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: BACKYARD SHAPERS

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:51 am

thanks for posting the photo trevor, stuffed if I can do it. Last night I couldnt get my mind of the blank so waited till everyone was asleep and went down stairs and completed the second rail band, it leaves a nice flat deck. All I have to do now to finish the board is the bottom band, roll the top band over accordingly and then blend her all in. Even though the fup fairy visited me during this build a few times its turning out to be the best shape ive done to date, yeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww, I love shaping
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:38 pm

hey Di99er , go to Sways and search "the Fred tool".....it may come in handy !

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:09 pm

ive seen ledge use this, ive seen yorky do his bottom band by a simple sureform, I like the idea of doing by eye but I can never right of a idea, do you use one Kayu

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:29 pm

Wow that fred tool has got me thinking.

Aggggghhh... must.... resist... urge... to mow foam... so soon... after... hideous... failure.......

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:01 am

diggerdickson wrote:ive seen ledge use this, ive seen yorky do his bottom band by a simple sureform, I like the idea of doing by eye but I can never right of a idea, do you use one Kayu
I dont use one Digger.....use something similar for sanding wood sometimes....still just a tool for a purpose, and in the long run you shouldnt need it....they are reasonably accurate for most hp shortboard bottom tucks,,,

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:34 am

dUg wrote:Wow that fred tool has got me thinking.

Aggggghhh... must.... resist... urge... to mow foam... so soon... after... hideous... failure.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dug, you summed up this bloody disease well mate, it took me a fortnight to get over my last visit from the f$%k up fairy, now the board seems to be coming together okay. Dont resist, you wont be able to sleep untill you start mowing again :lol: :lol:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Found a pretty cool "Unofficial HomemadeTool Thread" there whilst searching for the fred tool. Worth a look for some ideas.

whats the address mate, would love to check it out :D

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:12 am

Got my simmons back from the glassers yesterday, and am absolutley stoked on the way it turned out.
I cant wait to have a few little xmas waves on it.....there's even a little part of me that hopes the forecasted swell does not arrive so it will get a run!! (only just a little part).

My 8yr old has started on making his own now and is adamant that he's going to do it all himself. Will post some progress pics of it as he gets to work.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:22 am

Geez, it came up nice. Well done. Can't wait for the ride report.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:27 pm

cool.... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 pm

check out the young tucker up on his crate hacking into the old single fin in preparation for attacking and rejuvinating the old shape into something for him, great shot :D :D

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:37 pm

It goes great! Very happy with the first attempt at doing a board ourselves.

It was a fairly solid (but generally messy) 4ft for the last week so I have only had it out a few times, and as per most simmons reports it is really fast & shoots around sections with ease, is so much more agile than you expect for something so chunky and is really lots of fun to ride.

The one problem I did find though is that there is no way I can duckdive the fekking thing!! I got a bit carried away thinking it will be a small wave groveller only, so left it at 3 1/8 thick. Aku-shaper reckons its about 49ltrs in volume.....not something my 76kg frame can manage to get under waves of consequence.

I copped a few sets on the head flailing around in the impact zone like a gumby, I eventually started turtle rolling the bloody thing! Already planning the next one will be very similar in planshape, just thinner.

Digger - yes, the bug has bitten my son bad too!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:40 pm

thats good to hear....and the volume stuff is a lesson well learnt, bit less foam next time or eat as much as you can til you can sink the sucker.... :roll:

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:14 am

Sounds awesome Damo. Well done.

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I have been putting off starting on my blank in the shed - that pic of the 8 yr old has shamed me into possibly thinking about getting the tools together to get into it.

Out of curiosity, aside from the obvious aesthetic issues, what could I expect from a "bum tail" shape on something like what Damo churned out?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:09 pm

everything works 'butt' remember its all about planing area on these type of boards, but depends on dims and how much butt you are talking bout really...I'd be thinking keep it very subtle, maybe a small tightarse could work ...and plenty of name options too.... :roll:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:13 am

Scroty wrote:I have been putting off starting on my blank in the shed - that pic of the 8 yr old has shamed me into possibly thinking about getting the tools together to get into it.

Out of curiosity, aside from the obvious aesthetic issues, what could I expect from a "bum tail" shape on something like what Damo churned out?

Get into it scoty, take your time, do a bit at a time, theres not rush, its bloody addictive, the list goes on and on for the plus sides of learning to shape your own boards. Where do you live mate, if I can help out with tools I would be more than willing if your on the noosa side of the sunshine coast, happy to talk anytime and you could pop over to check out my pathetic by wonderful little space ive created for myself when I need to get away and have some me time

Scroty
regular

Post by Scroty » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:06 am

diggerdickson wrote:....if I can help out with tools I would be more than willing if your on the noosa side of the sunshine coast, happy to talk anytime and you could pop over to check out my pathetic by wonderful little space ive created for myself when I need to get away and have some me time
Thanks for the offer. I'm in Sydney NB though, but should be able to get some stuff from SDC and my brother in law who is a chippy. I've seen some of the photos of the shaping spaces on the forum and have some garage space and tarps so should be able to set something up.

I'll PM for more detailed questions as I go.