so I got me some EPS and balsa sheet...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

so I got me some EPS and balsa sheet...

Post by dUg » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:14 pm

....what the füćk happens now?

Dingus
Owl status

Re: so I got me some EPS and balsa sheet...

Post by Dingus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Do a twinny, buy a lava lamp, and ride the moon beams.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:39 am

....how long and wide is yer balsa ?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:58 am

^^^^That's what she said..

boom tish.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:27 pm

kayu wrote:....how long and wide is yer balsa ?
10 sheets, 1220 x 100 x 5mm. About 2 more sheets than I need for the bottom. Deck will probably be same in 2mm. It's "B" grade but I like it with the knots... they add character. :D

And cost a lot less.

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:51 pm

awesome, looking forward to the development this thread. lots of pics of the process please... would love to attempt it myself one day!

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

dUg , sounds like you'll need a bit more wood... :lol: .....a sugestion= decide what you wanna make , get some templates , then work out how much more wood to get.... where did the wood come from ?

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:15 pm

kayu wrote:dUg , sounds like you'll need a bit more wood... :lol: .....a sugestion= decide what you wanna make , get some templates , then work out how much more wood to get.... where did the wood come from ?
Oh I know what I'm making.... direct copy of a favourite I've snapped twice and fixed because I love the damn thing so much. I knew I'd need roughly 9 sheets that size to plank it. Bought it from a Balsa shop I have driven past on the way home from work every day for the last 5 months. Never even noticed it until last week, so I thought, hey... why don't I buy some balsa... I can make some shit with it. So that was pretty much as much planning as went into it.
Mrkook wrote:awesome, looking forward to the development this thread. lots of pics of the process please... would love to attempt it myself one day!
Don't be surprised if I go off the idea for a few months. Right now i'm into it.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:13 pm

:idea: Maybe a boat in a bottle, dUg.

I got some EPS too, started shaping... stopped... thinking... stopped :roll:

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:52 pm

5mm might be a little thicker than you really need for a skin Dug, but it should still work OK.

I am by no means an expert with this stuff, but am fooling around with it too, and have a project on the way that sounds similar.

You can tape your sheets together in the planking pattern you're doing, then laminate them with a layer of 4oz on the other side to hold them together. Then stick that to your EPS core.

When you stick it to the EPS, I'm guessing you're vac bagging. So you gotta have a rocker bed of sorts to bend it to the required rocker.

Once the bottoms done you have a bit of rigidity to do any shaping, before applying your deck skin. I like to remove most of the mass by initially creating a foiled blank via hotwire, before applying any skins.

There's buttloads of info on swaylocks to help, particularly Bert Burgers infamous thread.

Be prepared to have thousands of ideas pop into your head the moment you see a board shrinkwrapped.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Excellent advice Tiger, I looked at the pile of stuff just last week and thought "how the hell am I gonna stick it all together??". I thought the planking looked like a bit of a nightmare actually, and had visions of trying to tack it down one strip at a time with clamps and whatnot. Your idea is waaaay simpler... so that's how it'll be done.

I have not committed to vac-bagging yet, in fact I am pretty sure I will make the bottom skin without it. 5mm is thick... you're right... but my motivation is twofold. First up, I am using the thicker sheet for rigidity ( no stringer ), and secondly, I will only cut a shallow double concave through the tail - I hope to win another 2 - 3mm out of the balsa through the tail. In this way I hope I get better adhesion through the concave section. I am going for carbon fibre rails for the first time since the Epoxy Carbo Rail Flyer, because I always trash them and I am hoping I get good flex characteristics out of it with only 3oz glass giving me a 6oz lap.

Your rocker bed looks mad... brilliant and effective... but too much effort for me for one or two boards. I have an idea of using the board I am copying as the basis for a quick'n'dirty bed by strapping a sheet of 3 ply to it. I'll then chock it each end to "over rocker" the sandwich in the hope it's about right when it comes out of compression. Dunno if it'll work, looks like it might.

I've decided I'll document this here... so if it's dazzling success, others might be inspired to have a crack. Similarly, if it's a dog's breakfast, it will serve as a cautionary tale urging back yarders to leave it to the experts.

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Nothing better than just having a crack at it, learn plenty along the way. Hoping you do get results because I'll follow quick smart if there is a successful dodgy backyard way to do this.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:19 am

Cool Dug, look forward to seeing how it progresses for you.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:39 am

Been thinking.

Given I am taking all the dims of an existing board ( with minor tweaks because it's a PU board and not EPS ), would it not be possible to measure the foil at intervals along the stringer, then use that info to plane the deck before bending in the curve?

The shape would of course look bizarre ( rocker flattened out )... but in theory at least, once you've added the correct rocker the deck curve should pretty much fall into place, right?

Obviously you'd leave an extra 1/8" - 1/4" in there for fine adjustment once the rocker was set. It would also require less mechanical force to bend compress the foam through the nose.

Is this a really bad idea that's doomed to fail for reasons I am unable to fathom due to my lack of knowledge?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:57 pm

Yes Dug. I hotwire the foil flat prior to bending during the bagging process.

dUg
barnacle

Post by dUg » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:08 pm

tiger wrote:Yes Dug. I hotwire the foil flat prior to bending during the bagging process.
Sounds like a plan then. :)

I've almost assembled all ingredients, just a couple of bits arriving next week that I bought online - FCS plugs ( seconds... white paint specks apparently ) and 4" 3K Carbon Tape. Was hoping to make the bottom skin today but there's swell here, so that'll have to wait.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Lucky you, there's no swell here today. So I've just taped a whole lotta things together, whacked some epoxy and 4oz cloth on the appropriate area's, and chucked it in the bag. Planked skin, rails and all. Hoping the bag pulls it all together and everything lines up as it should :shock: :oops: :mrgreen: .

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:37 pm

dUg wrote:Been thinking.

Given I am taking all the dims of an existing board ( with minor tweaks because it's a PU board and not EPS ), would it not be possible to measure the foil at intervals along the stringer, then use that info to plane the deck before bending in the curve?

The shape would of course look bizarre ( rocker flattened out )... but in theory at least, once you've added the correct rocker the deck curve should pretty much fall into place, right?

Obviously you'd leave an extra 1/8" - 1/4" in there for fine adjustment once the rocker was set. It would also require less mechanical force to bend compress the foam through the nose.

Is this a really bad idea that's doomed to fail for reasons I am unable to fathom due to my lack of knowledge?
That's basically how fire wires are done dUg.....with the aid of a flatbed CNC....