DUMB MISTAKES

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

DUMB MISTAKES

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:56 am

Ive made two really dumb mistakes, first one cost me nothing as got the blank for a skip on side of the road anyway, just cost of glass and resign, what happened there was that I set up my shed at my old place to glass, got all my stuff ready, and then got the missus to close the shed door, then relised I didnt plug the light in, so was trapped in shed in near dark, missus gone out and not back for a couple of hours, nothing to do, so decided to try to glass the board in the dark, needless to say, not a great finish, haaaaaaaaa ha, one laminate job gone bad :lol:

The next bad mistake was, after getting some blanks from midget, beautiful, was so excited, drew out the outline, cut it out then spent a day plowing away skimming the bottom, getting the rocker beautifulllllll and flat as a pancake, just right for a egg for a beginner, would have had soft rails for forgiveness, then I skimmed the deck and started work on the deck line, but the board didnt look right. I put her up and looked closer, oh my, its arse about, ive put the tail up at the nose and nose down at the tail, so the egg is now looking like a zap, bloody hell, there goes 80 bucks down the toilet :oops:

reckon other people must have made some rookie mistakes out there, would love to hear them or am I the only dumb arse here, cause I certainly feel like one right now
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: DUMB MISTAKES

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:13 pm

DD, I reckon whatever it is you can salvage something out of it - might be the next big thing :wink:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:36 pm

Digger, how bad is the glass job?? You can save it if its not too bad. "dry" spots can fixed up, and worse comes to worse, cut oout bad bits and add more glass. Then go nuts with your sander, and hotcoat over. If still lumpy, sand the lumps flat, and re hot coat. It'll be a little heavier, but it'll be surfable. With the egg, how big is it??, maybe make a little "mini pig"?? When shaping a "pig" longboard, the blank is flipped nose to tail, so the nose is very flat, and the tail has a lot of "kick". Don't give up, your mistakes aren't as bad as you think, or uncommon.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Wish i had a pic of my first. I called it the coffin, because the outline was so bloody wonky!!!. Crap glass job, but just added glass where there wasn't, and sanded hard, then hotcoated. First surf, guess what? It f*cken worked!!, and boy, the stoke of surfing a board you've made is pretty damn good. One thing you'll find is that while it is a few simple steps, there is sooooooooo much skill that goes into a board, and you'll get to stages where you think "what the f*ck was i thinking, thinking i could make a board, this'll never work at all". When that happens, walk out of the shed, have a beer, and don't touch it for a week, go surfing instead. Then go back to it. You'll get there.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:54 pm

the glass job aint to bad at all for glassing in the dark :lol: I could sand the laps and just hotcoat her as i have not missed any spots believe it or not, the thing is im to hard on myself I know, its who I am. I put to much resign on the board and did not squeeze enough off cause I just could not see at all :oops: Im gonna leave this little board, the one with the handprints as a permant reminder that I have to be more careful with preperation, as that is where I went wrong on that one. One day I will finish her as the shape is real nice, but the board will end up being a bit heavy.

With the board Im doing now it looks a little mcoyish, not what I wanted, so Im being hard on myself agian. I will just leave her for a while, crack a beer and study the foil and see what I can do there to recover. The rocker is real nice so it will still be decent for a person who is only going to surf a couple times a year, so will probably finish this one, will post a pic when I get around to it. Definately not what I was aiming for and im still laughing about it, so funny.....

I cant wait to start the next one but have to keep that out of my mind and just concentrate on finishing this one

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah don't be too hard on yourself Digg's, sh1t happens. Just learn from your mistakes and push forward.

And definitely finish what you started, don't get side tracked about your next project. You're gunna run into problems in every stage of the build process. Better to be making those mistakes on the first couple of boards so the following ones will see improvement.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:37 am

diggerdickson wrote: what happened there was that I set up my shed at my old place to glass, got all my stuff ready, and then got the missus to close the shed door, then relised I didnt plug the light in, so was trapped in shed in near dark, missus gone out and not back for a couple of hours, nothing to do,
That all doesn't sound too safe Digger. :shock:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:10 pm

TrevG wrote:
diggerdickson wrote: what happened there was that I set up my shed at my old place to glass, got all my stuff ready, and then got the missus to close the shed door, then relised I didnt plug the light in, so was trapped in shed in near dark, missus gone out and not back for a couple of hours, nothing to do,
That all doesn't sound too safe Digger. :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: It wasnt mate, I was peeling resign off my legs that I spelt for weeks and luckily I had room around the board to move, so I was just careful. But never again trev, never again.

Im mainly put this post up for the other guys who are starting just like me. And also because I have made some really really dumb stuff ups. But the most important thing Ive learnt from my mistakes are preperation, this is super important, I cant stress this enough..... And also, before I cut the foam i have to step back, hold back my enthusiasm and stop and look at my measurements to see if its right instead of just hacking in.

Plus also I hope im not the only idiot on here, beerfan its nice to know we have both made dumb mistakes.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:06 pm

I've kicked over a bucket with 800/ml or so of UN catalysed resin before. Had to pour on a shit load of MEKP to clean it up. Not fun. I've also glassed,in thongs. BAD freakin idea, sticky toes for a few days. I also somehow knocked my blank off the racks when planing, turning my 6'1" fish into what is now my pacman board. Dumb mistakes?, you got a lot of catching up to do yet!!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:11 pm

its not a shaping one but I have seen a guy with his FCS fins in backwards....no lie.... :shock:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 am

Beerfan wrote:I've kicked over a bucket with 800/ml or so of UN catalysed resin before. Had to pour on a shit load of MEKP to clean it up. Not fun. I've also glassed,in thongs. BAD freakin idea, sticky toes for a few days. I also somehow knocked my blank off the racks when planing, turning my 6'1" fish into what is now my pacman board. Dumb mistakes?, you got a lot of catching up to do yet!!

:lol: :lol: ah beerfan, I havent yet knocked my blank of its stands yet, for a weight I use a plastic bag with sand in it, a good weight indeed. Never glassed in thongs either, dont think i will try that one soon :lol:

Im gonna post a pic of the outline soon. Its taken me a few days to get my head around what I did, needed to change my mindset as it was doing my head in. It looks very mcoyish and now that i have managed to visualise the finished product im ready for the next step, which is thinning the tail a litte, working on the deckline then cutting in the rail band, should have that done by the end of the week.

The whole mistake has got me thinking, with Geoff I wonder if he flipped a egg template around and there is something similar to a zap, I can now see how that could happen as its still got beautiful lines but with a wide arse tail. Wouldnt it be funny if that is what he did, you gotta admire the bloke, been working on that design for how long, the guy is a legend.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:12 am

had a mate come into my little shed to check out his new rounded square, he picked it up, then dropped it onto the corner of the besser block that was my stand base leaving a big chunk out of one side of the tail, we shaped it into a screwdriver tail of sorts...he loved that board and when we catch up, he always mentions it...sometimes mistakes can be good.... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:29 pm

dan, thanks mate for resizing the photos, ive added the board im working on and also some shots of the place im doing my work in
Attachments
phpmR665mAM.jpg
phpmR665mAM.jpg (5.62 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
phpNNrYZRAM.jpg
the blank before I started.
phpNNrYZRAM.jpg (7.24 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
phpU1u7m1AM.jpg
the new outline, finally got my head around it.
phpU1u7m1AM.jpg (5.37 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
phpza9KfgAM.jpg
the rocker shot
phpza9KfgAM.jpg (6.94 KiB) Viewed 5083 times

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:21 am

my best was tripping over an extension lead, landing on a half shaped blank and snapping it clean in 2.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:42 am

ahhhh, ha ha, thats a classic mate, you make me feel so much better :lol: :lol:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:55 pm

let me say, midgets blanks are so nice to work on.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

Digger,
why not just redraw the tail outline and make it a double ender with the nose and tail the same?

Mate I have done so many stuff ups on the 2 boards I have done its not funny.

My worst one was after reading that I needed to heat the epoxy up a bit, putting it in the microwave for too long and having a steaming hot batch. I didnt want to waste it so used it anyway. It brushed on ok but it separated really badly as it set, leaving lots of 10 cent peice sized craters the whole length of the board. I had to sand it all off and do it again.
I also sanded that same board way too much and now it has spots that are paper thin with hardly any glass on it. Its on the wall at home and sadly does get in the water. one day i'll do another layer of glass over it to fix it up...

Scot

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:01 am

scot, ive been looking and looking at it, for a few days now and have managed to change my view, she wont come out to bad at all, just need to get it into my head what she will turn out like before I could take the next step, im gonna leave it as it is and cut the rails in, Its still got nice lines on it so time to cut in the rail bands and complete the deck line. Will post another pic once the first rail band cut in. Im going to forge ahead as I know it will come out great