DUMB MISTAKES

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: DUMB MISTAKES

Post by alakaboo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:40 am

diggerdickson wrote:let me say, midgets blanks are so nice to work on.
good to ride, too.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:46 am

mate regigged outline looks cool, whack a dirty great greano flex fin (maybe a little stiffer) on it, I reckon it will go and look sick...........

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Digger, that eggy nugget will work fine mate!!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Beerfan wrote:Digger, that eggy nugget will work fine mate!!

Thats what I reckon mate, im amping over it.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:33 am

i once set fire to a fin box i was setting in a surf ski ( damn hot mix) ....that than set fire the glassing bay....that than...well...long story short :arrow:

i got the sack.... :oops:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:i got the sack.... :oops:
Nothing like a bit of a hot mix to get things exciting eh Fang?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:i once set fire to a fin box i was setting in a surf ski ( damn hot mix) ....that than set fire the glassing bay....that than...well...long story short :arrow:

i got the sack.... :oops:

Damn, now thats a story and a half :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe I will just glass in the single fin agian. :lol:

SURFFOILS
regular

Post by SURFFOILS » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:19 pm

worst mistake in 50 years of surfing and 30 years of shaping ?...

marrying an English woman !

She didnt surf,
She didnt like my surfing mates,
She didnt like poly fumes,
No head. :o
Never again !!!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:51 pm

SURFFOILS wrote:worst mistake in 50 years of surfing and 30 years of shaping ?...

marrying an English woman !

She didnt surf,
She didnt like my surfing mates,
She didnt like poly fumes,
No head. :o
Never again !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha, yourve brought the house down, I nearly burst out laughing aloud, glad I didnt, cause my missus hates poly fumes as well, lol.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:35 pm

It's the line under that i'd be worried about, Digger. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Laminating, what a colossal pain in the arse this is. You do all the prep work as well as you can, stir in the uv for a long time, no mistakes there, get gloves ready, put resign in a small icecream container and then put in a larger container with warm water to heat it a little bit, stir some more, and get going on the board. The first side was done perfect. I do mean perfect, huei woulda been proud. Hardly any sanding of laps needed, so clean and tight, went round the nose and tail just beautiful, didnt take that long at all. I thought hey I got this, a breakthrough, its becoming easier :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: How bloody wrong I was :D :D :D The other side of the board, same prep work done, tried to stick to the same formula, but half way through laminating the board I found the resign was sorta getting a foamie colour, it started getting hard to pull through, I had to rush the laps as it seemed like it was going offff :evil: :evil: :evil: Arrrrrrrgggggg. Was left with a bit of sanding to do, as had lumps along the rails were it was to thick, the laps werent to bad, better than the first one I did, but I cant work out what went wrong. I have a feeling somehow the uv got in and started setting it off.

Im going to get that stuff that thins out the resign and put it in the remainder of the 10 litre tin and give a good stir. Up near the nose there is something wrong, will look closer during the week, might be a small bubble, Im not sure. I have sanded as much as i can and will still come out good with a well done hot coat. Just not perfect like the first laminated side.

Im a fair way off laminating channels yet, damn it. I thought I was getting closer, its like one step forward, 2 back, then another few forward, and so on and so on.........

But its still more fun than buying a board off a rack I tell ya....

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:51 pm

okay, so Ive worked out why I was having problems this time with the resign, its started to go off :oops: Ive had it to long and didnt make enough boards with it, probably wasted about 3 litres. ive been told by huei after explaining what was happening to just ditch it and call it a loss. :(

Ive now got to get some lam resign and some filler resign this saturday. The only place I know is ace fiberglass at kawana. Does anyone else know where I can get some resign closer to home. I live at tewantin. Or can anyone advise if there is anyone else other than ace fiberglass as found them a bit pricey, but suppose thats what you get when only buying small quantities.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 am

digger,
why not ask someone like yorky if you can just buy what you need as you need it. he probably gets it by the drum and might not mind selling you a litre or 2 at a time.

scot

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:31 pm

set my fin, waiting for it to dry enough before adding rovings and glass, hopefully this time can do it a bit better, am super worried as stuffed the last one, glassing in fins not easy, the pros make it look so so easy, their all bastards I tell ya, bastards :lol:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 pm

my love affair with glass on fins is over, hate em, hate doing em, hate rovings, hate glassing em in, time to learn to use a router, at least I gave it a crack, I now can really appreciate a beautiful glassed on fin even more than before. :x

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:17 pm

Everything about doing glass in fins is a pain in the arse Digg's. FCS style plugs are an easy install. You don't even need a router, just the appropriate sized holesaw and a few other bits and pieces.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:15 am

tiger wrote:Everything about doing glass in fins is a pain in the arse Digg's. FCS style plugs are an easy install. You don't even need a router, just the appropriate sized holesaw and a few other bits and pieces.

yup, fcs for now on, plus plan to do fin boxes on my next egg as well. I hate glass on fins, anyone who likes doing glass on fins amaze me, you deserve a medal.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Digger, my hat goes off to you with the glass ons. I've always done boxes ( probox are IMHO the most "foolproof" to install, they're solid, and the fins are faaaaaaarken great. ), never even thought about attempting it.

FCS aren't too bad to put in, just don't, whatever you do get the cheap china ones on ebay. I've used them for small one tab fins ( supercharger/twinzer ) and they're ok for that, but i wouldn't trust em for a full size fin.

Keep it up digger, your first surf you'll forget all the frustrating, annoying, "get fuKt" moments and will be stoked you made what's under ya feet!!