EPS epoxy semi fish

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Re: EPS epoxy semi fish

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Few hours >><< . No matter, the vac is turned down low and seems to be going fine. The epoxy seems to be getting thicker, but I can leave it, and I'd rather leave it another hour and be sure than have it not work. The heater is helping I'm sure. The veneer is a little out of alignment, and a but dry near the nose, but I looks like it actually might work. Though, well see in a few hours.

Why is my pic upside down? Haha

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey mate, the heater worked very well, and it was done around 90 mins. Got some sanding to do, but it worked pretty well.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah that was just the veneer, only for cosmetics really, it's a 1.9lb stringered marko blank, so it doesn't really need any strengthening, I just wanted to try it, and i thought it'd look good.

It was hard to get a good seal on the bag, so the little aqua pump was very very slow. The vacuum went fine, didn't even get hot. It's an old vacuum that is now a shop vac, covered in foam dust and resin, so I'll happily use it for a few more vac bag experiments. I'll definitely use some breather material, I've heard shade cloth is pretty good, it should help air flow through the bag. Probably use less resin too.

It was actually very easy to set up the vacuum, I cut a triangle in the edge of the bag, shoved it in, then plastered it in duct tape.

Stressful, but fun!.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm

Thought i'd use up the leftovers. Can't believe I used the wrong side, but oh well. Old vac works well.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:54 am

Nah, it's double sided I just got the sides mixed up,vas in the side with the tape and the pen lines is facing up instead of down, so you can see the pen line. Spewing, but I guess it's a first attempt so oh well.

Hope to glass it soon, though being school hols, I dunno haha. I should have heaps of time to lam it with the resin, with the heater right next to it, it was around 90 mins to full cure, so I plan to get it as perfect as I can then use the heater again. Kind of excited!.

Could've used the 7'6" yesterday, looked tiny, but ended up grabbing some left over swell. Some sweeeet down the line walls. Nothing huge , just a little overhead and fast as hell!. Longboard went well, but you know, it's really for small waves. Next up will be a JD midlength. Need a good midlength!!!!. The flying vee was at home, I reckon it would've killed it too. Should get more waves during the next few days at least. On the down side the water was frunking cold!!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:19 pm

Mate, just snuck in the bottom lam. How much easier is epoxy?. So good!!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm

I just hand lammed, I can see if you had experience lamming in the bag would use much less, and be super tight, and light, but no way in hell I'd try that. I'd stuff it up for sure.

FV is going in the car next surf definitely mate!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:49 pm

Deck done now. Hopefully by next week I'll have the hot coats done. Any tips matt??

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Getting closer, sanding to come, then boxes, and a leash plug.

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Hiya , Beery !!!

so...

.....WHAT happened to the 'fish' ... is it finished and surfed , now / yet ????

if so ...

how did it GO ?

AND...

[you just KNEW I'd ask , eh ?!]

.... what fin[s] setup did you go with ??

cheers mate

ben

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 pm

Hey ben, 5 fin mate. Gunna suck putting 5 in but will be worth it.

fins
Grommet

Post by fins » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 pm

cheers beers !

so ...

four lots of side fcs , and a back FINBOX , hopefully ?

Maybe that would be fun to ride as a 'widowmaker' setup ??

.... and ....

as

a

SINGLE fin , methinks !

[ I could send you a few 'different' sideys , if you go with fcs ?? ...or.... you could try 'matticus' / leo wacker's " hockey stick fins " , perhaps ?? :) ]

cheers mate

ben

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Nah mate, the wife got a short term contract for full time work, which went from 6 weeks to 5 months haha, so when not doing shift work, I'm daddy day care, so very busy. Honestly though, I think I've got one more home made board in me, but not for a while. I'd love to one day do a chambered balsa board, when I can afford the blank, and I have space to do it properly. Might be never I suppose. Anyway, the board has been glassed but just needs sanding. I fucking hate sanding, it kills my shoulder, and frustrates me greatly haha. Boxes and plugs are ok but sanding, hate it. When I get some time I'll get back and finish it. New JD in the pipeline is keeping me stoked.