quiet

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

quiet

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:01 am

Its been quiet in this section lately, come on guys whats happening, whos building what, anyone making bonzers out there, how is tigers builds going any more test ride reports to give, anyone building a new shaping room or any backyarders wanna post pics of their make do shaping areas.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Beerfan

Re: quiet

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:29 am

I'd be embarrassed to show pics of my new "bay" haha, a 3m x 3m garden shed. F*cked if i know how im gunna finish off my 6'6'' egg in there, let alone an 8'+ pig shape hahaha. Gotta build a pergola first. Hopefully by spring i can finish shaping the egg that's looking at me with sad puppy eyes every time i go in there. Its got a few white panels, so UV resin is out. Might try epoxy

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah been a bit quiet Digg's. We've been busy with real work, plus heaps of work I've been doing on my house/property. So not much time for boards or surfing for that matter :evil: .

Have got one on the go ATM for an old client that managed to find me. 6'2" X 20" X 2 1/2". Sort of a full planshaped thing, with a little flyer pulling the tail in. To be set up as a quad/tri.

I've still been riding my 5'11", it's one of the few boards that I have with sufficient bouyancy ATM :oops: . Surfed Wurtulla on Sunday, was really fun. Only about head high, but super slabby. Pretty abrupt waves. You had to take off right underneath them, and fall straight into the pit. Took the board out set up as a tri for the 1st time in ages, and it was noticeably more difficult to to do the whole late drop to pull in thing. With the waves we've had lately I've been enjoying the shorter length for fitting in the tight contours of dredgy waves. But with the fullness of the tail and volume in general, it really needs the quad set up for hold and projection.

Wanna make myself a new 6'3" a little more performance orientated, so that'll be next cab off the rank. When I get around to that I'll lend the 5'11" out as I originally intended to. :oops:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 am

yep, not posting too many board pics or info of late, can only be accused of shameless self promo so many times :roll: nah, far.k them I'll be posting pics soon, just doing alot of dim-SIMs mostly of late, and occasionally put em the mini-simmons thread...Digger, you'll have to have a paddle on the Dumpling one day mate, reckon you'd enjoy it for sure.... 8)
as for you Timmy, this is real work, real hard to make a dollar :roll: as you know...Wurtulla on Sunday hey ? mustnt have been getting much of the south swell coz it was much bigger than head high at Marooch , nearly went there on Monday but had some really fun waves at a spot near here, and Tuesday was great too, and fun but much smaller yesterday....
the newy gunna be a quad or tri Timmy ? 8)

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Hey Mark. There were some bigger ones on Sunday morn, but the best ones were the mid sizers. I don't think I woulda wanted to take on anything much bigger anyway, they were that square and thick. Woulda been smoking a bit later in the morn as the tide came in, and probs a bit bigger too.

I'll probs set the newie up as both as it's really not much of a hassle putting the extra plugs in, and I unlike some think you can have your cake and eat it too.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Beerfan wrote:I'd be embarrassed to show pics of my new "bay" haha, a 3m x 3m garden shed. F*cked if i know how im gunna finish off my 6'6'' egg in there, let alone an 8'+ pig shape hahaha. Gotta build a pergola first. Hopefully by spring i can finish shaping the egg that's looking at me with sad puppy eyes every time i go in there. Its got a few white panels, so UV resin is out. Might try epoxy

Beerfan, got a solution to your problem mate, the place im moving to on the 16 th august has room under the house for glassing, will be setting it up to use uv as well, more than welcome to glass your boards and even shape there. Will only cost ya a beer :wink: Am going to set up lights when possible, might even have a seperate room under the house to glass in, I sorta measured it, 8 foot long by narrow, but no uv gets in there, just have to hook up a light so wont be glassing in the dark, your more than welcome to use it mate. Its in tewantin

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Digger, BF is near the Gong, Sheel Harbour I think, bit too far to come and shape...but you are a nice bloke for sharing, should be more of it....

Sounds fun Timmy, you can have your cake but for me, the cake just isnt quite right, those front fins arent the same in mine but with FCS you can tweak and adjust to get em feeling pretty good....

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:57 am

I don't shape so I don't have much to contribute to this section, but I've just ordered a newy.
Similar idea to Tiger, a 6'3" step up from my 5'11" small wave quad.
It'll be a 2+1, super amped!

Good to hear you sorted out your house stuff Digger, sounds like lots of fun.
The twinny sounds interesting too, I think one of my next boards will be a twinny.

Or maybe a mal.
Or a mid-length.
Or a fish.
Something with volume, anyway.

But I have to sell another first, trying to keep the quiver below 5 so I actually ride them enough to understand them properly.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:26 am

Lads any tips on what to do if you dont have shapers lights?

Just on the 2+1 comment as well. Made a 2+1 for first board but goes so much better as a single due to the flatness, it has ok rocker but thinking need decent (not outrageous) bottom curve to get full benefit for the 2+1 and hence not to wide.

Side note, lost about 5-6 kilos and my larger volume fishy hybrid board seems to be pearling a bit into waves, never experienced before....such thing as to much volume for shorter boards at take off not planing nicely due to lack of weight..... ?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 am

Davros wrote:Just on the 2+1 comment as well. Made a 2+1 for first board but goes so much better as a single due to the flatness, it has ok rocker but thinking need decent (not outrageous) bottom curve to get full benefit for the 2+1 and hence not to wide.
that's why I don't shape, and limit my involvement to vague ranges.
Though I've had the most fun on 2+1s which were pretty wide.
Think the rocker (should be more drawn out/continuous) and the width of the tail is more important?
This'll be a board for better (bigger) waves, I like flat boards but only up to a point.
Davros wrote:Side note, lost about 5-6 kilos and my larger volume fishy hybrid board seems to be pearling a bit into waves, never experienced before....such thing as to much volume for shorter boards at take off not planing nicely due to lack of weight..... ?
absolutely. Sold a few boards for that reason.
Though my problem wasn't pearling, it was not catching the waves at all, unless I was right in the pocket.
That was a board with a fair bit of tail rocker, starting well forward. It felt like it was seesawing as the wave energy passed below me.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:46 am

Davros wrote:Lads any tips on what to do if you dont have shapers lights?

Just on the 2+1 comment as well. Made a 2+1 for first board but goes so much better as a single due to the flatness, it has ok rocker but thinking need decent (not outrageous) bottom curve to get full benefit for the 2+1 and hence not to wide.

Side note, lost about 5-6 kilos and my larger volume fishy hybrid board seems to be pearling a bit into waves, never experienced before....such thing as to much volume for shorter boards at take off not planing nicely due to lack of weight..... ?
davros, Im thinking of running a shelf between the pylons under my house then a backboard off the shelf to the ground. Im going to put some long lights under the shelf to project nice shadows.

Another thing you might think of doing is building a lighting stand on wheels that you could wheel in and out of the area your shaping in. If anyone out there has this sort of thing that could post a pic to explain what I mean would be great. Ive seen em on swaylocks and they look great for garages or carports, sheds, that type of thing. Just a thought mate as if you have a area with a roof there is no need to go without half decent lighting, just need a bit of imagination, and unfortunately a bit of coin.

Im heaps excited about experimenting with a twinny mate, Ive realised that at 45 im to old to be just riding thrusters, so I wanna try different things before its all to late and I end up like trevor :wink: riding mals :lol: I like the thought also of a 2+1 but thats on the backburner, after these boards I will be making some more eggs and a short board about 5.8 that my missus wants to handpaint to sell.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Good tip on the light stand...might be an IKea investment that one.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Ok - so I got a pic or two of a board i just made. Its 7'4'' x 21 3/4 by 2 7/8 and I've got it set up as a 2 + 1 also - but can ride as a single. Indeed I have a fin from a board Mr Pridmore made me so can ride as a thruster too. Sadly shaping room/bay is my back deck. And I didn't glass it. Quandry is I've not posted pics before - tips Digger pls.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:01 pm

Cheers for the offer digger, but not sure how the missus will like me disappearing for a week hahahaha

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:16 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Davros wrote:Just on the 2+1 comment as well. Made a 2+1 for first board but goes so much better as a single due to the flatness, it has ok rocker but thinking need decent (not outrageous) bottom curve to get full benefit for the 2+1 and hence not to wide.
that's why I don't shape, and limit my involvement to vague ranges.
Though I've had the most fun on 2+1s which were pretty wide.
Think the rocker (should be more drawn out/continuous) and the width of the tail is more important?
This'll be a board for better (bigger) waves, I like flat boards but only up to a point.
Davros wrote:Side note, lost about 5-6 kilos and my larger volume fishy hybrid board seems to be pearling a bit into waves, never experienced before....such thing as to much volume for shorter boards at take off not planing nicely due to lack of weight..... ?
absolutely. Sold a few boards for that reason.
Though my problem wasn't pearling, it was not catching the waves at all, unless I was right in the pocket.
That was a board with a fair bit of tail rocker, starting well forward. It felt like it was seesawing as the wave energy passed below me.
Thanks I thought I was imagining this, will try my thinner boards and will no doubt have the required weight in the near future.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:45 pm

RE lights. Most hardware stores and definitely light shops have plug in flouros that are easy to adapt to different situations. Beauty being you can just run an extension lead to wherever you wanna use them. I've got a couple that I attached a longer piece of timber onto the back of. So you can just clamp them, or drive a screw through onto something wherever you need them. They come in handy for all sorts of stuff.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Sweet have shelves on either side of my cave where I destroy foam, that may work.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:25 pm

I've been toying with the idea of doing a hollow timber board for ages now and its still a bit of a way off...one day...
But on another note, we are winding up our boat business so i will be moving a bit of gear soon so anyone who is looking for some materials and tools as well as a few other assorted gear let me know as I have a lot that will be going under an auctioneers hammer in the coming weeks. I'd rather sell stuff to guys who have a need for things so hit me up with info.

Sorry i bailed on ya on sunday tim, been working heaps lately and i just couldn't get up for an early on sunday, sounds like i missed a good sesh though :(