epoxy

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: epoxy

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Jorgo wrote:Oh - yes I see :D it looks very sad there and dirty and all sorts of unpleasant.
Aha, interesting spot, not as confronting as Sumatra, but that could be just some level of familiarity having at least been over there before, albeit not that location. So nice just having our crew (max 7) in the water pretty much the whole time.

Back to epoxy though. Always interesting to observe what people are riding especially on trips as some people like the 'robustness' of boards like the Surftech Tuflites... that particular trip only one punter had one Tuflite and a new Rapidfire (1st and 3rd photo I think) he picked up very cheaply and my own 2 PU/epoxy combos of course, everyone else was on the bog standard variety PE/PU.

One of my epoxy/PU boards I referred to earlier ended up like this, keep in mind it is a very low density (light-weight) blank... kind of don't mind as it was a good indicator of where I was landing. First image is uni-carbon + 1 layer 4oz intermediate + 1 layer 6oz quadraxial. Where the rule is should be, if anything, slightly convex. Probably will compress so far and slow up... no sign of de-lamination.

More to surfboards than just a resin system.
07092011096.jpg
07092011096.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
07092011100.jpg
07092011100.jpg (67.13 KiB) Viewed 2833 times

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm

So after receiving a pretty decent fin chop on my tuflite :? :? :evil: It looks like repair time. Now from what I can gather from discussing this and looking on the net the basic procedure seems to be to cut away any loose material and then fill the hole with either epoxy putty e.g. ding dough, selleys epoxy filler etc or using q cell and epoxy for the fill and then glass over the fill with either poly or epoxy and matting. Mention has also been made of creating weak spots by over strengthening the join.

Now I originally thought I might get it done professionally but seeing as there are less people doing it around the Eastern Suburbs and from what I can gather the pros are only usually going to do a variation on what I just described anyway I thought may as well give it a crack. Any advice?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:46 pm

skipper wrote:^^^
you'd love my garage at the mo'.
3 repair jobs on the go.
you'd love my straw fishing hat that i painted with resin to stop it falling apart, it stinks
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Gday Ric
I have an epoxy / eps board with some small dings and cracks to fix.
I got some Epoxy resin (2 pack) that is meant for woodwork.
Is this any good for repairing boards?

if not, where can i get my hands on some good epoxy resin?
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:13 am

Don't hold your breath marcus. I used that to do the above mentioned repair. I'll let you know how it goes.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:43 pm

marcus wrote:Gday Ric
I have an epoxy / eps board with some small dings and cracks to fix.
I got some Epoxy resin (2 pack) that is meant for woodwork.
Is this any good for repairing boards?

if not, where can i get my hands on some good epoxy resin?
A few years ago, I bought an epoxy repair kit from the local surf store - it looked just like the twin epoxy tube/mixer you get from the hardware store, except it had a white tint in it - worked the same way too.