New blank

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

tiger
barnacle

Re: New blank

Post by tiger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 pm

Handsaw is the go Digger. Cutting close to the line accurately isn't particularly difficult, it's keeping the saw nice and vertical so you get square edge that can be tricky. Concentrate on keeping that and it's pretty easy to tidy it up with a surform or block.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:14 pm

thanks tiger, yup I think this is the go, have experimented enough with a jig saw and it sucks really
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:56 pm

got the bottom rocker done on the blank, now to clean up the deck tommorow, skim the top and start working on the foil. I had a go of a mates skatey yesterday, a long board and I loved the feeling of the concave in it when turning hard, its got me thinking. I might put a concave in the deck near the feet just for fun. Will post some photos tommorow if I can

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:20 pm

took a rocker shot, worked on the board all day today, got the right rocker at the nose and the tail, but am not to happy with the nose rocker in a sence, it is not as gradual as i would have liked but the tail rocker is okay. I have kept as much foam in the board as I could, its only 2 1/2 or just a touch more in the middle after putting the single concave in the board , and I do mean only a touch, but I tried to carry this out to the rails.

One of the other shots shows the mistake I made up near the nose when cutting out with a jigsaw, wont use one again as all it took was a sneeze and i stuffed, will glass this board as a constant reminder to use a handsaw.
Attachments
possum.jpg
possum.jpg (36.32 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
phpoEKoZ3AM.jpg
phpoEKoZ3AM.jpg (22.06 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
rocker.jpg
rocker.jpg (29.18 KiB) Viewed 4556 times

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 pm

my next job, glass noahs board, then cut in rails on the new blank.

Not sure what i think of the way Ive carried the foam throughout the foil, what do you guys think. I sorta want to move some foam back off the nose area as the one I did fong has less foam in that area and just felt right, but this is different, its just what came out of the blank. Im open to peoples thoughts but I must get in contact with the man who is helping me.....

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:09 am

Nice work Digger. Does look like you could remove a bit of thickness in the front end. It's tricky sometimes removing that excess foam, be careful you don't end up with a scooped out section in the deck. It's a bit hard to really tell from the pic, but the rocker looks good. Maybe you could slightly smooth out, and lengthen the water entry to take away a bit of thickness. But if your happy with the rocker, best leave it as is.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:00 am

tiger wrote:Nice work Digger. Does look like you could remove a bit of thickness in the front end. It's tricky sometimes removing that excess foam, be careful you don't end up with a scooped out section in the deck. It's a bit hard to really tell from the pic, but the rocker looks good. Maybe you could slightly smooth out, and lengthen the water entry to take away a bit of thickness. But if your happy with the rocker, best leave it as is.

mmmm, thanks tiger, will take that on board, will leave the blank on the shelf for a while then look at it in a few days as this might give me a different perspective, if I did anything I would move foam off the deck by just hand sanding so I take little bits at a time, as i have plenty of time to get it right, no rush.

Will also look at a longer water entry, I understand what you said there but one wise friend once told me dont go chasing mistakes and im sorta semi happy with the rocker, it will be interesting to see how it rides with this rocker, you never know this mistake might trun out real good.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 pm

router, mmmmm, will try handsaw first. :| Was going to glass boys board on monday but it looks like bad weather again on my day off, so I will paint the other blank instead.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:05 pm

looks like I have to get my paint specially tinted, Im after the colour silver, should be interesting to see what it looks like on a board. Lol, hopefully I can get it.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:30 pm

done some silver but always worried I looked like a big lure....

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:33 pm

pridmore wrote:done some silver but always worried I looked like a big lure....
So, would you like to test it for paddling first, like a quick paddle across to the island for a surf :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:37 pm

nah mate, thats your job, I got a mate with a boat now, and no shark attracting sprays for that place, seen way too many over there, scary spot for noahs, especially if you have fished around the back of it.... :shock:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Any chining in the upper rail? Was it difficult to get consistent?

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Davros wrote:Any chining in the upper rail? Was it difficult to get consistent?

sorry davros, not sure what you mean there :?:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 pm

Been looking at bevelled rails (chined) all the way up to the nose. Apparently they help with hold and drive with boards that have 2 3/4 + vol. I noticed the Black Beauty has this type ot chined rail so i thought you may have given it a go, thinking about have a crack and was wondering......maybe I'm on the mushrooms...

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 pm

Mate, you gotta give it a go, its relaxing and a great way to pass your time. As for those rails, no, I didnt do that. I havent had much difficulty in getting it even but I really take my time, and am so careful in counting my strokes when doing the rails that they seem to come out okay so far. Though glassing is another story :lol:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:55 am

been thinking, dont want to surf on a board that looks like a lure :lol: so its blue rails and time to bring back checkers I reckon :D

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:51 pm

sprayed a base coat of white today using spray gun and compressor, not a easy task to get it nice, after using one it makes speedneedles work seem even more amazing, josh you are a freak I tell ya. Gave it two coats, sanded back a little then taped up to do the rails, I picked up from a paint shop rolls of taping paper for 1.25, after I spray the rails will see then if I get unwanted spray on the deck. Used the better tape too.

I reckon I could get the base coat better but I would end up using so much paint so after two coats I decided to move on. I reckon I need to watch a good air spray utube thing to try to learn how to use a gun. :oops: