Gibber's compsand build thread.

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

tiger
barnacle

Re: Gibber's compsand build thread.

Post by tiger » Tue May 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Just because a board is more durable, doesn't mean you have to ride it forever. It'll still be worth something if you wanna move onto a different shape :idea: .

Basic bottom config's like concave and vee are quite easy with this construction. Things like small radius concaves and channels, create a bit more of a challenge. But as Josh has shown they can be done.

You'd be surprised what can be done, I'm sticking with the basics until I'm super confident, but the process leads to more ideas and applications. So different to regular handshaping, mostly thru the benefits of vac-forming, so to speak.

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 pm

Tiger - incredible work mate...

curious as to how these boards go with real thickness ie 3" - is there limits to this method; from reading it seems you cut out whatever size you need from a big block? If so this method may be good for more unusual shapes that are hard to get blanks for....

Also - I hear what you and josh say about the durability - my one lingering concern is that if you get a ding mid surf or while on a surf trip - do these style of blanks suck water such that the board is out of action until full repair?

Ive often had boards on trips OS or just down the coast and had some dings - never worried to much and fixed up when home.... what are your thoughts.. Cheers OG

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks OG.

Essentially you are making your own blank the way I do it. So you can cut whatever thickness you want out of the slab of foam. As for how thick you could go with it, it really depends on what style of board your after, and what types of waves it's intended for. EPS is more bouyant than PU foam, so too much mass could be a problem. The skins do dampen down the effect of the corkiness a touch, so I think you could go thicker this way than with straight up EPS/Epoxy.

As for dings, well I haven't encountered one yet, not even a mild depression. But yeah, if the EPS is exposed you want to stop it's contact with water ASAP. If it's just a crack or shatter in the outer glass it probably doesn't matter so much. I'm not sure how the different skin foams go with water exposure, but as long as you haven't penetrated into the EPS core it shouldn't be a big deal. Any ding on the outer shell can still be fixed with poly, or araldite, or god forbid 'wax', if you've gotta do a bush repair.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm

nice to see ya back on tiger :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 am

Thanks for the info Tiger - if you are effectivly making your own blanks - this style of construction has an inherant versitility. Very interseting for guys like me who like unusual shapes. I will be following with interest. Cheers OG

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:22 am

Glad to see someone else having fun with this stuff, I had one of those little pump as of eBay too, it puffed smoke like a banshee and little smoke rings every minute or so? Did you change the oil in it or anything?
tiger wrote:OK, got a chance to do a bit more this morning. Got the table set up, and decided to stick the bottom skin on. Here is my rocker jig/template/contraption, that I use to set the rocker on the table.

Here's is the board with a layer of wet out 4oz between it and the skin, ready to be taped in place.

Breather cloth over the board, then the bag sealed, although I had to chase a couple of pesky leaks. Pulling 10hg on the pump.

The little vac pump I bought off ebay, doing it's thing.

I meant to try and grab more pics, but I froth too much and time is of the essence ATM. I'll get a pic of it when it comes out of the bag this arvo.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Thanks Dave. The little pump works fine, I'm still using the little bottle of oil that I got with it. I found that It coughs and splutters and blows a bit of smoke and oil, if there's any type of leak in the bag. Used regular builders plastic on a few bags, and it developed leaks easily. Since found a more durable bag material, and have also gotten better at sealing etc. With a perfectly sealed bag and only pulling 10hg, it just quietly purrs away no fuss at all. Wouldn't want to be stuck with it in a confined space with no ventilation though.

OG, I'm starting another board soon. 6'2" X 20" X 2 1/2". I'll whack a few pics up during the build.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:17 pm

As mentioned in the "Quiet" thread and above, here is the the finished 6'2" X 20" X 2 1/2".

On his previous boards over the years he has always gotten the Tom Curren/Black beauty spray, so I went with it on this one too. Tried spraying white directly on the skin foam, but it came out a bit funky. So ended up doing it on the filler. Should have just left it the natural colour and done the black stripe on the filler, reckon it woulda looked sweet like that.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

Nice work there mate!

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:13 pm

tiger, that looks so sweet, whats the weight of the board mate.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 am

Couple of newies finished this week.

This one is a copy of a 5'9" X 19 1/4" X 2 3/8" that the customer loved. Soft Vee in both ends with a little double concave.

And another 6'2" X 20" X 2 1/2". Very mild single to double concave. Seem to be doing a glut of these shapes lately, they are a very practical all rounder with the choice of fin configs.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:42 pm

nice work tiger, cant wait to see one of these new boards in the flesh mate

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:11 pm

Here's a new one for me. Just my bog standard personal favourite shape for good waves. 6'3" X 18 7/8" X 2 3/8".Image

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:32 am

tiger, that is just so sweet. Looks like your really getting the hang of the new method. :D

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:55 am

Thanks Digger. Baby steps mate, learn a little each time, put improvements into practice.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Here's a rocker shot of the newy.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:24 pm

That board looks great. Can't wait for a ride report.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 am

tiger wrote:Thanks Digger. Baby steps mate, learn a little each time, put improvements into practice.

Tiger I can sorta relate to this, but in a much much smaller way compared to you, Its like I learn one thing, then next time I take 2 steps back and another forward, bloody addictive aint it. :D