My new project

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: My new project

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 am

makeshift glassing stands completed, mate is bringing up a 6'9 blank he spotted that someone was throwing out, will make a board from myself from it, getting another two blanks for mate and donation to school for raffle, will glass three boards now at the same time. Yee ha, having a ball
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:23 pm

just cemented in my glassing stands, I used to much bloody water and the cement is all crack :oops: Oh well back to the drawing board and will be recementing them in on saturday arvo. Im going down to our local bike shop as well to ask them for the boxes the bikes come in to line to carport floor and use as drop sheets to keep the uv light out, certainly cheaper than drop sheets :wink:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 pm

1. fix glassing stands - tick

2. by the glass, 4 oz, 4 meters - tick

3. Rovings for glassing on the single fin - tick

4. carpet for floor and hopefully enough underlay to block out sun- tick

Now, to just wait till monday, camera ready to go, already sprayed board in stuff to protect paint, monday cant come to quick........ :)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:37 am

And posted as a nice point break layout too. Well done Digger. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:48 am

Heres hoping for a sunny day monday and then finally its glassing time

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:40 am

diggerdickson wrote:Heres hoping for a sunny day monday and then finally its glassing time
Surf on Monday 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:00 pm

okay, Ive only managed to glass the bottom of the board due to the weather, which really was a bummer. Ive only used one layer of 4 oz glass and uv resign which gave me plenty of time to put the glass on and wet it down. I gave the board a massive lap just for pratice :lol: Such a sucker for punishment and really struggled with it, I learnt lots with my mistakes and really look forward to completing the top deck next monday. In the meantime Im going to take my time sanding down the lap to try to get it smooth, what a pain in the arse it is :( although it is relaxing and i plan to do a bit each night then have a beer when im done, bought a six pack to get me through :D

Lessons learnt from this

1. Must be more organized
2. Never by sunblock additive agian but rather get the good stuff stuff ready mixed, makes it easier.
3. Never do big laps, did I say never do big laps
4. Try to be more neater when I cut the fiberglass and peel off the threads before I start glassing.
5. No more bloody finger prints on the board, shape it, glass it, dont leave it for ever just waiting to be glassed, gets to marked that way.
6. Soak the laps, dont be stingy, soak the bloody things

Pitures to come soon

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

I hope you can see the big lap in the photos, learned a lot with it and I hope next monday I can get the top done a lot better. Anyway, enjoy the photos and have a good laugh at the setup :D
Attachments
glass.jpg
glass.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
deck.jpg
deck.jpg (20.15 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
decal bottom.jpg
decal bottom.jpg (13.29 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
bottom decal.jpg
bottom decal.jpg (13.84 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
blue.jpg
blue.jpg (20.68 KiB) Viewed 3848 times

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm

thanks again dan for the resize for me, such a shame that posting photos is such a pain in the arse, so much easier on sways :wink:

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 pm

How did you find the sun-cure resin? Even though you get more time, does it give you more time to let accidents happen?
The board is looking the goods BTW, when will it be ready and more importantly, who rides it first???

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 am

quangers, I made a few mistakes, some dry bits on the bottom deck, just pored more resin and fixed it, no rush, love the uv stuff, but I would definately if buying agian get the ready mixed stuff, as ive heard it kicks quicker when put in the sun. If you have a question on the ready mixed stuff huei is your man to ask about it.

Another mistake is I pulled a little hard on the resign once and the glass bubbled up if you know what I mean, I had so much time to fix this and the bottom has come out perfect :D I highly recommend the uv stuff.

My boy will ride the board first and only him, as its only one layer of 4 oz. Sanding on laps saturday, final glass monday, then Im glassing in a single on it, so only left with the hot coat which will probably be the following monday and sanding....

All good things come to those that are patient, plus Im loving taking my time and really relaxing and enjoying the whole process.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Looks like you did pretty well for your 1st time Digger. UV cure certainly makes it a lot easier. The big laps are a challenge for your 1st go, difficult to wet out and tricky in the tighter part of the outline curve. But they are good for strength, so don't make them too narrow.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:04 pm

Was going to glass the board tommorow but due to weather going to leave it till the following monday :evil: Thats okay though as Ive got another blank that Im hacking away at, bit of a challenge this one as the blank just doesnt feel right, no other way of putting it and almost tempted just to bin the thing but trying to pull something together with it, will wait to see what comes out before I decide weather or not I will glass it...............

A few friends have asked me to make em up a small 5'4 eggs for their kids, got about 5 eggs to make, so after this board I will just be making kids boards like my boys for a while now. Good pratice anyways and will be great to pratice my skills on them. Thinking about putting a loop instead of a leash plug on my boys. Its great pratice and will go with the glassed in fin, hope I dont butcher it and got plenty of research to do on em........... :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:56 am

taped pencil and rovings, they are easy mate.....good onya for getting so many orders, well done, hope they are paying you something....

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 pm

pridmore wrote:taped pencil and rovings, they are easy mate.....good onya for getting so many orders, well done, hope they are paying you something....

Im just super stocked to be making these eggs for really young kids, like 5 to 7 years old and getting their first glassed board to learn to surf on. Im gonna get photos of each kid and start a photo album. :D

I will be covering cost plus a tiny tiny little bit more, plus Im donating one to my kids school for a raffle on their school picnic day........ :D

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:04 pm

so, I glassed the top for the board over easter and glassed in the single fin, was fun, and I fully understand when fong talks about the smell of resign, its a beautiful thing. Will expand a bit more on what happened when I get to post the pictures, Im off line at the moment but getting a new modem tonight so will post some pics of what happened then

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:44 pm

thanks dan for the resizing, wouldnt be bothered trying to work out how to post pitures as I just cant work that stuff out
glassing.jpg
you can see the cut on the lap which is so much smaller than the one I did for the bottom, I think I like the idea of big lap on deck and small on the bottom
glassing.jpg (24.09 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
Attachments
glassing4.jpg
glassing4.jpg (25.07 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
glassing3.jpg
glassing3.jpg (26.54 KiB) Viewed 3649 times
glassing2.jpg
glassing2.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 3649 times

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:48 pm

you can see from the shots that ive got drop sheets hanging down from my carport to block out all uv light. Im working away as careful as I can and just near the end with about a foot of lap to tuck under it starts going off. I look up and there is my boy, holding open the drop sheets so he can watch me and he is letting the uv light pour in. I have to admit I cracked up laughing, rushed to finish to last foot but it made it a bit difficult and messy, apart from that it went well.

Will post some more pics soon