Concave depth

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Concave depth

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:09 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:55 pm

Looks super fun to me. I've never surfed a board with those design combinations - a wider tail with a diamond to retain volume by going shorter, and to shorten the release point. I'd love to hear how it goes!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Little
regular

Post by Little » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Why don't you just buy one off the rack instead of fcking it up yourself?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:12 am

Would a deep double concave work with 20" width with a longer board (say 6'2-4) with swallow/pulled in tail/tri fin and a medium rocker work,slight fished up but not super fish ?or would the same issues occur e.g. slow transitions etc...any opinions (have I described a Webber?)

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Davros, A double can assist rail to rail as it creates a V in the middle of each concave. Again Im not sure of the purpose of wanting to go deep with the concave? Deeper concave = more chance of a board that doesn't work so well.

Most wider boards these days have either a Double in the combo, a V or a combination with both. This all assists in helping the board rail to rail, esp when going wider.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Mical, I've got a derivation of the WD shaped by Mark P.
mines 5'10" by 2" 1/2 by 20" 1/2.
Single to double with a slight vee out the back.
Really, really fun board to ride.

My biggest factor was dialing in the fins to suit.
At first I didn't have enough fin area...eventually got a set of foam core fins in that I reckon are at least M7's.

It's easy to overpower such a small platform.....depends how u surf though.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Natho wrote:Davros, A double can assist rail to rail as it creates a V in the middle of each concave. Again Im not sure of the purpose of wanting to go deep with the concave? Deeper concave = more chance of a board that doesn't work so well.

Most wider boards these days have either a Double in the combo, a V or a combination with both. This all assists in helping the board rail to rail, esp when going wider.
Natho, thought the deeper concave may provide a bit more life than subtle but with hold through turns for the slightly fished up thruster. Just thinking out loud.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:39 am

Reworked the design last night, dropped it to around 191/8" and a bees dick under 5'8".

Going to run a slight single out to vee after the back fin.

Box of blanks ordered today, will post a pic of the template/ proper dims tonight.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:02 am

A deeper concave would cause more trouble in bumpy and weak waves right? My understanding of concaves is that you need a bit of juice or speed to get them generating the lift

I have a small wave shape with a subtle single concave (1/6") to vee near the tail, and that goes unreal.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:13 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:A deeper concave would cause more trouble in bumpy and weak waves right? My understanding of concaves is that you need a bit of juice or speed to get them generating the lift

I have a small wave shape with a subtle single concave (1/6") to vee near the tail, and that goes unreal.

Couldnt you whack on some Futures Vector series for lift....ah f@ck I dont know. Thanks for the advice/info guys I'm off to ride some demos.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:09 pm

Heres a review of the Webber Almond by Nick Carroll, which uses a very deep single concave (I think their server is down at the moment though).

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/forum/vie ... 782#p45782

Greg Webber does a lot of deep doubles on small wave boards too, my guess is that a deep double with a bit of vee as Natho was talking about would be more user friendly.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:06 pm

dinosaur wrote:Deep anything is not user friendly. Those deep twins of webbers are very specific boards, like his deep concave banana board of 12 or more years ago. Subtlety in surfboard design is where the true craft is. Of course webber is a true craftsman even an artist maybe. His more extreme designs, like the one you mentioned can often be seen as prototypes. Something to wake people up to new ideas. They are eventually dialed down to suit and make them more user friendly. Which doesn't mean boring, just functional.
So you think that his strong use of deep concaves is part of a push that will be dialed back soon?

He seems to use them on almost all of his current range, whether its a deep single or a deep double. The deep doubles seem to be used more with his huge raked twin fins (the mini fish, the twin-fin all-rounder, the twin-fin semi-gun), and the deep single is being used with his current HPS and the Almond Quad.

I have to admit, I haven't heard many people raving about any of them, except for the Mini Fish (but I think 3" of foam and the speed of a twin-fin could have something to do with that).

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Heres a review of the Webber Almond by Nick Carroll, which uses a very deep single concave (I think their server is down at the moment though).

http://www.surfinglife.com.au/forum/vie ... 782#p45782

Greg Webber does a lot of deep doubles on small wave boards too, my guess is that a deep double with a bit of vee as Natho was talking about would be more user friendly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXOSGGFTxI

Deepdoubleconcave

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 pm

New template:
DSCF6532.jpg
Will post rocker dims tomorrow, also considering NC's suggestion now ... with very little shaping experience:
Nick Carroll wrote:v slight single concave under the wide point dropping back to subtle double concave through the fins and a v slight vee just behind the back fin.
Got a couple of blanks coming for this one, just in case.

Was originally thinking of a flat bottom :|

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:55 pm

In relation to concave depth, the following about right as a guide?

Slight = 1/16"
Moderate = 1/8"
Deep = 1/4"
Extreme = 3/8"
Maurice = 1"+ :shock:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:46 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I have to admit, I haven't heard many people raving about any of them
I will rave all arvo about the 5'11" super concave Greg made me following that ASL board test.

The four fin setup worried me a bit, it just didn't allow for much turn modification and focused your turn too much on the rail (yes there is such a thing). Made the superconc a bit sticky.

So I got him to make me a thruster version with fcs plugs and stuck in a set of 3 template Phil Way hand foils. The board continues to amaze me with its outrageous turn of speed through and out the end of turns, its versatility and sturdiness in a range of conditions, and its sheer willingness to do things on the spur of the moment.

Thing is I don't think Webber has made any others like it.