New fish

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

New fish

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:34 pm

My new fish, probably gunna be a twin keel, though im playing around with probox placements, and im sure i can set up both twin keel and quad ( rail quad ) with out compromising the two setups.

6'1'' x 15 1/2 x 21 1/2 +2 x 16 7/8 x thick. This will get down rails, with a small tucked edge, probably ( im good at changing my mind ).

This is practise for when i do huie's egg.

mical
barnacle

Re: New fish

Post by mical » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:46 pm

Looking good .. 6'1" is interesting, must be a big bloke?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:44 pm

Not that big, i just like chunky boards. My last one was 6'2'' x 22, so this is a little bit smaller. Old one had 16" nose and tail. For this one i wanted similar float/paddle/wave catching, but a bit less nose out in front. Hoping it'll help it turn a little better. Keen to see how the almost 17'' tail goes hahaha. The idea is to not move my feet, just pop up and stay in the one spot. Though it was fun on the old one to cheat five now and then. I'll update when it gets done.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:52 pm

totally love that outline beerfan

just looks sooooo functional

your getting good hey 8)

really nice looking planshape :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:33 am

MKM, i used the egg template huie sent me, as well as a pig template i got, so i had good curves to work with. Makes a huge improvement i reckon.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:57 am

Beerfan wrote:MKM, i used the egg template huie sent me, as well as a pig template i got, so i had good curves to work with. Makes a huge improvement i reckon.
looks the goods beerfan, cant wait for more pics :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Yep... very nice outline... but geeez you're brave standing it on the tail un-glassed! Speaking of which... standard or lightweight glass job?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:16 am

Well, i had a bit of an accident, involving the planer, which resulted in me swearing im never going to be good enough to use a planer, and also throwing the blank off my racks, leaving a gouge in the rail, and a missing swallow tip. I almost threw it out, but i got out huie's egg spin template, and palyed around. The biggest, widest board i could get was 5'8 x 20 1/2 x 3, with a big round nose and tail ( around 17 each ). F*cked if i know if i'll even be able to paddle it, let alone surf it, and i had to leave some of the "buttcrack" there, so im thinking of trying to make a balsa tailblock to fill in the swallow ( might actually look good instead of plain stupid ). I'll glass it very light ( 4x44 ) to help float my 79kg haha. Gunna have "eggy" rails, no hard edges, and being so short, probably 2+1. Bit bummed, i was looking forward to another keel fish.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:51 pm

Beerfan wrote:Well, i had a bit of an accident, involving the planer, which resulted in me swearing im never going to be good enough to use a planer, and also throwing the blank off my racks, leaving a gouge in the rail, and a missing swallow tip. I almost threw it out, but i got out huie's egg spin template, and palyed around. The biggest, widest board i could get was 5'8 x 20 1/2 x 3, with a big round nose and tail ( around 17 each ). F*cked if i know if i'll even be able to paddle it, let alone surf it, and i had to leave some of the "buttcrack" there, so im thinking of trying to make a balsa tailblock to fill in the swallow ( might actually look good instead of plain stupid ). I'll glass it very light ( 4x44 ) to help float my 79kg haha. Gunna have "eggy" rails, no hard edges, and being so short, probably 2+1. Bit bummed, i was looking forward to another keel fish.

holly shit let you cnuts loose and away ya go :evil:

how did it suffer said accident :idea:

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:25 am

Im not 100% sure, as i fuggen shat myself, but it seemed to "grip" the foam. Was tearing a bit, and then shooom!, off it went.My stands aren't the most rigid, and room in the shed is a little tight, so i dunno if leant on the blank too much, or it moved on the stands, or i just plain old pushed it off unknowingly. Back to wooden blocks and 36 grit for me!.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:38 am

Beerfan wrote:Im not 100% sure, as i fuggen shat myself, but it seemed to "grip" the foam. Was tearing a bit, and then shooom!, off it went.My stands aren't the most rigid, and room in the shed is a little tight, so i dunno if leant on the blank too much, or it moved on the stands, or i just plain old pushed it off unknowingly. Back to wooden blocks and 36 grit for me!.
:lol: :lol: :lol: , shite, I wish you got that on youtube, I can just piture it now in my head, not funny for you when it happened but I reckon it would have been bloody funny.

It hasnt happened to me yet, but its been a while since Ive looked at a planner, hopefully soon beerfan, hopefully soon, to many unfinished projects
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Beerfan wrote:Im not 100% sure, as i fuggen shat myself, but it seemed to "grip" the foam. Was tearing a bit, and then shooom!, off it went.My stands aren't the most rigid, and room in the shed is a little tight, so i dunno if leant on the blank too much, or it moved on the stands, or i just plain old pushed it off unknowingly. Back to wooden blocks and 36 grit for me!.
step one securly fix stands to floor

ya need a weight on oppisit side of blank whilst working with said planner

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Here's the "renovated" egg haha. Almost done trueing up the rails with a 90deg fred tool.

Note the gay tail. pretty keen on a tail block. Probably balsa. I managed to squeeze the temp out to almost 21 wide.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:27 pm

I reckon you're mad if you change that tail...
You could keep it that way, give it a full canary yellow spray and call it the pacman!!!
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:46 pm

love it....dont change it mate, glass it supght and send it up, I wanna ride it... :roll:
Nah, seriously mate, I have seen severalm of your shapes and that one looks the best, its still way different but I just like it ...cant wait to hear how it goes for ya....enough foam ??? 8) prob already covered it but what fins ?? glass ?? spray ? put plugs at both ends ? 8) :roll: :)

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey Beery,

Love it! Love the Pacman...

Josh

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:12 am

Ha, thanks guys!!. The tail is staying, as i tried to make a foam plug to fit in there, and f*ck me do i have 2 left thumbs, or whatever it is that means you're crap at doing fiddly stuff!.

Gotta be enough foam surely, and this will be for summer anyway, so it wont need to be a long distance paddler so should be ok.

Fins will be 2+1, but i might also add some plugs for keels and twins, as i have more than a few sets of keels and twins. I have been mucking around with placement, and trying to fins a happy medium with the front set of plugs, so it can double as side fins for the 2+1, but then also front fins for a quad, and the same with the rear plug, for keels, twins, and quad rears. Not sure it'll work, so i might just do dedicated twin plugs ( rear of fins @ 7" up ), and dedicated 2+1 plugs( rear of fins @ 13 up ).

Glass will be 4x44, as its surfblanks red, and the deck is dead flat hahah, so pretty hard. Plus i want it to be floaty!!.

Rails are medium low and boxy, with no hard edges, though i reduced the tuck through the tail, so its kind of a down rail in the tail, with no hard edge. I also increased the tuck from my front foot, to the nose, so the nose has turned up rails, so it hopefully wont catch!.

Rocker is like 3 1/2N x 2"T, so im expecting fast, and flat surfing hehe, which is cool by me, and im hoping for cheater 5's ( but might be dreaming there )

Cheers guys, i should be finished shaping in the next 2 weeks. Will post more pics then.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 am

I really like the look of that one, I'm interested to hear how it surfs as well...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.