Thruster/Quads with 5 Fin Plugs

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Topher
regular

Thruster/Quads with 5 Fin Plugs

Post by Topher » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:26 pm

See alot of boards around with 5 plugs for choice of thruster/quads, things like the firewire dominator and alot of GSI boards etc.
Is this a compromise - ie just something dreamed up by a marketing dept, or is it actually possible to swap around? I thought quads and thrusters were different beasts and the entire fin placement and board design were different. Am going to try a fair few different boards out before I order a newy and one I am going to try has this 5 fin system. I'll certainly try both ways - but I am interested to hear what people think about this?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: Thruster/Quads with 5 Fin Plugs

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 am

Some of the shapers here will give you a better answer than me, but the general consensus is that a board is a combination of design elements. So, when you change the number of fins that you have (e.g. 3 to 4), you generally need to change other design aspects as well to keep everything in continuity and ensure that it rides really well.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:37 am

What kind of waves will you be surfing your new board in Topher? Got any particular shapes in mind?

Cronulla surf design has a 6'0 Dominator demo you should be able to get your hands on.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going for a quadfather to match the Fatbat. But I was just curious about the fin placement issue on a lot of new boards. Is it a compromise to sell more boards, or a workable versatile system?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:00 pm

the 5th plug is very rarely used when I make a quad with the extra plug, its for the 'Quadraphobics' more than for really swapping from thruster to quad, fin positions- angles etc are different with my boards, this is to get the best out of each design and fin set-up as possible, I dont like to compromise on design as both I and the rider obviously want the board to go as well as possible but I will put the extra fin in, but I also explain clearly that it is a quad with an extra plug and the fins arent set up ideally for it to be ridden as a thruster.....go for a quad or a thruster, hard to achieve both with the addition of just another plug...but hey, if ya wanna try a few out, then thats the best way to really feel it out for yourself mate.....plus its always fun trying diff stuff..... 8)

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Thats the reason for doing this - a bit of fun, and to try and understand a bit more about what works for me and why.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 pm

As already suggested ..A board in general is either designed as a thruster or a quad. Not both, as the design aspects and fin set up for a quad is different than it is for a thruster.

I sense that the reason you see many 5 fin set ups is that it is a bit of a marketing thing. Kinda an each way bet to get you to buy the board.

If you want a quad then go with a shaper with the experience and know how in quad set ups, rather than a shaper who is experimenting with quads. I reckon there is only a small handful of good shapers out there that know exactly what they are doing when it comes to quads. Otherwise your best bet is to stick with the tried and tested thruster. You've got a better chance of the thruster working for you. If your into experimenting and trying different things then sure go the quad. Just be prepared that it may be exactly that. An experiment.

Murray Bourton is a good person to talk to if you want a quad.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:37 pm

Im telling ya, if you want a quad definately talk to mark. I reckon he has got those things wired. Mine went great today mark, decent waves with a nice drop, open faces to carve on, my goodness you made me a beautiful board mate, its one of those magic boards that you only dream of owning. I reckon Ive had one other magic board in my time, the rest have just been real good with a few that just sucked and didnt suit me at all. Im gonna ride it till it just falls apart, may that be never and may it never snap.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

maraetai
Grommet

Post by maraetai » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Hmmm. Wish this thread had started a few days earlier. bought a thruster/quad combo on ebay last week and picked it up this weekend. Haven't had a chance to ride it.Its gone flat, as is always the case when I buy a board.

Red October

Post by Red October » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:04 pm

Dino is on the money r.e. Bourton/guinea pig. Bought one of his Fat Bullet quads with the extra deep concave thru the nose i.e. his "cathedral hull". Said to create lift for extra paddling speed and will not catch. Guess what, the nose catches like a bastard. :evil:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 am

I am my own guinea pig..... :roll:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:53 am

diggerdickson wrote:Im telling ya, if you want a quad definately talk to mark.
I agree, I've had my last 3 boards shaped by Mark. Whether you want a more standing HPS type design or whether you're open minded to try something different to the norm, he makes great boards either way and is very experienced at shaping quads.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:27 pm

Yep - I've got a fatbat, best board I've ever owned. 8)

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Have a 5 plugger not from GSI - its fun to ride as a Quad but its not a thruster or a true quad,its fun but I'm only an ok surfer and was having more rewarding rides on my normal thruster (havent ridden a true Quad), also this 5 fin design may be detrimental to the average surfer by not providing a true ride and helping improve manouvares e.g.snaps,but I have tons of fun on it.

maraetai
Grommet

Post by maraetai » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Had a session on my five plugger today in quad mode. It felt like a thruster with out the centre fin (ie loose). Had fun riding it on my forehand but backhand was a bit weird. Just wouldn't seem to hold the same line as a thruster. First quad I've ridden so not sure if this is normal.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:12 am

My comments re Bourton were more about talking with the guy. If you talk with him he knows a sht load about quad design theory, and design in general.

That does not mean Id go and buy one of his boards. Those fat bullet things are as ugly as sin if you ask me, and there is just too much going on with em. But you will learn alot from talking with Muzz.

In fact Im fairly certain looking at Marks boards that I know where he may have pinched his ideas from? Wink wink.

Sorry to ruin the whole Priddy fan club you blokes have got going by suggesting another shaper. Truth is there are other shapers out there with a heap of experience as well as Mark.

You can get back to your botty kissing now.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:26 am

Murray makes good boards but definitely no pinching of ideas here mate, whatever you wanna think..he is making alot of quads and alot have fuller planshapes to suit the smaller waves and surfers of average and less ability ( most of us )and that is kinda my thing too ( one of em anyway )..if the guys are happy with their boards I make and wanna suggest me to other guys, well thats great IMO,( even if it slightly embarassing sometimes ).. only says the boards are working and making the customers happy I guess...
I am sure Murray knows alot about design and am sure he makes some awesome boards .....I think I get a few mentions in this thread coz it is about quads and fin placement which is an area I have done shiteloads of work on in past few years especially.....
we have never agreed on much, you have always been negative towards me and most of my posts so this is just typical, thats fine by me...all good, now I have some quads to shape....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Nothing against you on a personal level Mark. Ive never met you.
Ive just been getting a bit jack of all the plugging of your boards on so many of these threads (not just this one). And the fact that you have openly tried to undercut other shapers on these forums to take business from them .
I just like to add a bit of variety so some of us don't fall asleep.
There are certainly plenty of punters on here that like your boards which is great. And sure many of em seem to be average surfers which is fine. You a smart in that you have captured the biggest part of the market, the average punter. Nothing wrong with that. Now while I wouldn't ride one of your shapes, that doesn't mean that they are not going to work well for others.
I guess I just take most of your posts with a grain of salt as they are so often aimed at flogging another one of your own boards. Like when a punter posted a thread asking for advise on the best board for them. Without giving info such as weight and ability, you were very quick to tell that punter that you had the ideal second hand board for them. Now you can't tell me that in that case you were not more interested in flogging a board than giving good advise to that person.
There have been other shapers appear on these forums in the past who have offered great feedback that was never aimed at flogging their own product. In fact most punters on here would not have even known who they were.
I have nothing against you plugging your boards here and there. Hell you are in a very compeditive business. Its just that if you go back and read many of the threads on these forums its kinda become the Marky Mark show. You have plenty of loyal fans and I certainly wish you well.
Im sure all your fans will now jump on board and give me a serve and thats fine. I think that is what these forums are about. But you sure do have plenty of followers on here so its all certainly worked for you.