Curves...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Curves...

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am

...on a surfboard (sorry).

I understand what each design element does in terms of outline curve, rocker curve, wide point, etc.

What I am interested to learn, is how do they all combine? I mean, does the wide-point of the outline curve have to meet up with the apex of the rocker? How does the ride change when the wide point, apex, and planshape are changed in certain ways?

Are they all independent of one another, not needing to meet up at a certain point so much?

:)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Re: Curves...

Post by black duck » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:20 am

Here's a good example of where wide point, rocker and outline curve marry into a deceptively subtle combination that looks like it would ride well.
tumblr_kymuni8sKy1qawtkoo1_400[1].jpg
tumblr_kymuni8sKy1qawtkoo1_400[1].jpg (66.2 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:30 am

Nice planshape, great outlines, rocker built for speed I would imagine.

Love those tight rails. Can we send that one up and down the coast for test-riding purposes.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Nice deep channel on that baby.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:50 am

Yes, I enjoyed that a lot too, but back to the point? :P
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:35 pm

There are no rules CC, just convention if that is the right terminology.

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Balance is the key... Wide point forward with volume back is going to ride terrible etc. Wide point back with Volume apex in the same will be fine... Look at classic proven shapes right thru time they have a balance of all those design aspects

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote: Are they all independent of one another, not needing to meet up at a certain point so much?
:)

I have a theory on this, perhaps i even did a post on it a few years ago ( and even sent a letter to surf mag detailing it ), but here goes.

There are a load of mathematical formalae that can be used to generate curves. One of the most obvious is the good old parabolic function: y = x².

"Parabolic rails" are, in theory at least, based on this formula ( but in reality I doubt a Parabolic rail follows a perfect parabola ), but there are some other very interesting mathematical functions that generate very surfboard-like curves:

- A pursuit curve can be used to create almost any rail profile - boxy, low, neutral, pinched etc.

- A catenary can be used for rounded tails or noses on longboards, but also for foils ( rockers are often catenary curves )

- A ciscoid can be used for swallow tails, especially classic style

- A Folium traces a near perfect retro shortboard outline, with the mid point nearer the tail. The Pearls of de Sluze and Quartic functions also generate curves that will instantly make you think of plan shapes

So... if you could somehow tie all of these formulae together, it would in theory be possible to summarise an entire surfboard in terms of one, single succinct mathematical function.

I am talking everything here... rails, nose, rail, rocker, foil, outline, and tail. :shock:

If you'd like to take a look at some of these curves, have a look at http://curvebank.calstatela.edu/famouscurves/famous.htm