Beer for Boards ...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

scottmorgan

Beer for Boards ...

Post by scottmorgan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:31 am

Hiya Fella's

I am a brewer down Wollongong way, and keen to make a few boards this next 12 months. Being a brewer I like figuring out things myself and to see how things are made.

Been doing some reading, going to get some DVD's, but wondering if there is a forum member down this way to work thru the process with. This was a great help when I was learning the ropes in brewing. More than able to bring along beer, beer and more beer. More than happy to have a 'how to swap meet', although I dunno if beer and power tools are the best combination ... but can find out.

Scotty

scottmorgan

Re: Beer for Boards ...

Post by scottmorgan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:26 am

Hi Mate

Make mostly ales. I sit on a 1200l brewhouse and do most of the contract work that comes in from 4 customers. The bar attached is the 5 Islands in Wollongong (if you have not been for 18 months then it has changed alot, including the beers), Rocks Brewing is one of the other customers who is just about to open their first pub in The Rocks.

Changes to the licensing allow for Cellar Door sales, I think its about $180 for a 50l Keg (110 schooners). Just need to figure out dispense.

Anyways, can help with the beer, keen to leanrn the shaping stuff.

Scotty

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:07 am

Beerfan comes from the gong-shapes boards-sounds like you two might have somethings in common!
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14768
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

scottmorgan

Post by scottmorgan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Unfortunately Beerfan is hanging up the plane (so to speak).

Keg beer is much better than longnecks, you fill a keg once, not a case at 24 times!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:01 pm

I know it's a long way from where you are, and probably not exactly what you're after, but there's a shaper up on the central coast that often sells shaping clinics. From memory he charges about $250, then supervises while you shape your blank, then if you want you can pay the extra and get it glassed etc.

Ocean longboards or something like that from memory. He sells heaps of longboards on ebay.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:16 pm

Just ask a few local shapers mate, if they're worth their salt they'll gladly let you spend a day watching them ... for free.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:45 am

Scotty, you have my number mate!.

I wouldn't say i've hung up the surform, but at present im not doing much in the shed. When the kids get a bit older and i get a bit more time during the day, i'll get back to it. Though i do have a bellyboard type thingy going at the moment. Also, im very very happy with my 2 boards, so not feeling a need to muck round!

Talk at BRD in may mate.