Swingin Like the Naughties (and Board Report)

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pridmore
Owl status

Re: Swingin Like the Naughties

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:08 am

yeah, the flyer versions go better, it is because you can keep that width all the way to the flyer, then utilise all the area up front, the benfit in perormance comes from having that fuller planshape up front then when you turn, you have the narrower and more responsive tail shape, a gradual and blended version for me is a compromise and sticking to the norm, not saying that the blended doesnt work, but not as well for this theory and for how I want em to go...I want that big difference in planshapes to maximise the benefits of the design.....I am doin a 5'7" x 21" x 2 3/4" for me atm, should be good to take things further...also have plans to play with some MORE extreme versions in the near future but as you know dollars run that show unfortunately..... :cry:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 am

I think its quite interesting at the stinger...instead of instantly changing from the fat-bat rail before the stinger, to a HPS rail after the stinger, its a new and interesting rail all-together. A way of retaining some of the volume that you would loose from dropping away the area after the stinger.

Care to explain the change in rail and how it all works together MP? I'm still trying to get my head around it :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:58 am

right after the flyer doesnt see any water flow, it goes right past when you are surfing along the wave, ( have a look down when you are planing ) so why not have additional foam to the rail, after all this design is a small wave shape and with the reduced area in a HP tail, some extra foam doesnt hurt, and if it isnt really in the wave face, why not leave it quite blocky so there is at least the benfit of the floatation, plus that area is about the front foot so it adds a bit of float and bouyancy for getting over the flats...and when doing your one, as you are a bigger bloke but we were working within the agreed dims, I had to distribute the foam differently if you were gunna have enough volume and paddle, if I was to refine them as usual, I dont think it would have had the beef for you to really enjoy the benefits in the waves it was designed for...plus all the time making sure that performance wasnt effected, or at least not negatively., (and I believe positively ).... small modifications to suit the individual.....hope that make sense.... :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 am

Don’t take the design too far MP you’ll end up with a Meyerhoffer. :D

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:48 am

Definitely makes sense MP. It all looks very ususual, but the more I try to get my head around how it all works the more I understand about how it all works together...Pretty clever and very original

RIde reports coming in a week :)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Definitely makes sense MP. It all looks very ususual, but the more I try to get my head around how it all works the more I understand about how it all works together...Pretty clever and very original

RIde reports coming in a week :)

again really looking forward to the reports caveman as I think this sort of board may be my next one to replace the semi fish Ive got for something different, who knows
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:15 pm

ric_vidal wrote:MP, how does the Swinger vary from just a normal blended planshape? I.e. averaging the difference in the flyer and just making a smooth outline or have you found the flyer creates something else?

i was lucky enough get a few surf in on marks 6'2

while ago now, and i can only really remeber one good surf out ann street on it

the big thing was.....the flyers didn't seem make any diff at all :!:

i kept waitin feel something on the rail in a turn....but...zip...nothing at all :?

just felt like a normal board with a bit extra paddlin push from more foam up the nose

i'm sure a better surfer would have twig too some subtle feeling under foot

but not me :lol:

p.s the biggest thing i noticed was the on land ...WOW ...factor....everyone wanted a look at it and talk about it...which could be a plus or minus depending on my mood :wink: and how quick i needed be somewhere else rather than the carpark
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:52 am

ric_vidal wrote:Don’t take the design too far MP you’ll end up with a Meyerhoffer. :D
ha ha...dont know if it'll go that far but if it goes well, then I'll take it as far as it goes , next one will tell me a few things I reckon....shorter, wider, thicker...might do the same with my surfboard ....
:roll:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:02 am

First surf felt really good!

Once I got my positioning on the board right it paddled really well and caught waves really easily.

The surf was a weak and mushy 3-4ft, and it surfed great in those conditions. It glides over flat spots really well, holds a lot of speed, and turns on an absolute dime.

It's early days to provide a detailed board report, but first surf was really really fun! I'm really looking forward to taking it out in some better quality surf with a bit more push to see what sort of top speed I can muster on it :)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 pm

my newy....

4 " shorter, 1" wider, 1/16" thicker...lighter hopefully.... 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:25 pm

Just had an absolute cracker of a surf on the swinger today in 3-4ft ripbowl waves on my forehand.

This board is full of surprises. "Clever distribution of volume" was one of the first thoughts that popped to mind, and a new thought after this surf is - "clever combination of design elements". Even if it looks like two boards stuck together, its not a simple as that, nor does it surf like that. There are a lot more subtle elements going on.

You would think that a tight pulled in HPS tail combined with quad fins would result in a hell of a lot of hold, but the thing releases really easily. MP sais its something to do with the sharp boxy rails in the tail (if I remember correctly sharp rails cause more lift? plus the volume is kept all the way to the boxy rail, giving more lift again).

It doesn't have that feeling that many quads seem to have when you're up in the lip, a kind of grounded feeling where you get a bit stuck up in the lip. This thing loves to go fin-free, and it even likes to release in hard cut-backs. The first few waves before I was used to the release were a bit of a surprise, getting dumped on my ass a few times for pushing it too hard.

Such a refreshing feeling to have in a semi-fish quad, its going to open up a hell of a lot more freedom.

This board is turning out to be a cracker so far, but still early days to articulate a full board report.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Man this board is versatile...It'll happily glide over fatter sections, then it'll hook really tight and go fins free when you want it to.

Full or surprises this board is!!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 pm

out of all desins I have done, this is the one that I am most totally satisfied with but unfortunately for me, it is the most 'alternative' in appearance and most are doubtful it works....their loss and mine I guess, but I appreciate ya honest review and feedback on the design, please keep it totally honest and that way I can learn more, even though I ride one almost everyday and have another on the way, it is still great to hear others info, coz we all surf different and ride different waves...thanks
8)

ps- yeah, there is alot in this puppy....2 much 4 sum.... :roll:

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:28 am

Cool, will keep the feedback coming. I'm yet to try it in any decent waves bigger than shoulder-head height. I'll report back then :)

Pretty keen to try it out in some point waves too to see how it behaves in sucky reef sections.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:59 pm

newy, 5'7" x 21" x 2 9/16".....The Junky Swinger..... :roll:
my 4 current swingers.....

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

jeez they look the goods mark :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:13 pm

HAHAAAAAAAAA...love the junk food inlay!

Ride reports on the newie MP?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:25 am

The Swinger felt great on the backhand today. Had some nice wedging lefts on it, not all that dissimilar to good old T's (pity it depends on sand placement though).

A little hard to get used to at first, trying to find out where to push and how much, etc. Once I was more familiar with it I was having a lot of fun.

Just need a chance to try it out in some more solid or quality waves, then I'll have a good idea of what this puppy can do!

So far its suited small and workable waves really well. It doesn't seem to like absolute junk, I'd probably need a bit more volume, more planing area in the tail, and maybe fuller rails...I'd say as soon as small waves turn from junk into workable or with some wall, this board really fires up. It'll still travel over the junky sections, but it doesn't seem to gain much speed on its own through those sections as much as a wider flatter fish might...It needs me to work it a bit through those sort of sections.

I don't mind that though, this board wasn't meant for junk anyway. This is more of a Sydney small-wave all-rounder..something that'll handle the variable waves in Sydney well. Quality waves are for my Quadfather, and junk will be for my next unusual little think (The Critter - keep posted for that one :) )