Setting up a shaping bay

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

mical
barnacle

Setting up a shaping bay

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 am

I've posted a couple of queries in the Shaping Challenge thread but instead of derailing that I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm looking at setting myself up a shaping bay at home to start trying to do my own boards.

In the way of tools, I have the following: planer, sander, various grades of wet and dry sandpaper, sanding blocks, measuring tapes etc.

Still need a couple of surforms, templates, racks, different grades of gauze, calipers and a square.

I've always done my own repairs but would like to be able to shape for myself.

I'm wondering if I should put up something like this in the garage to try and keep dust of everything else or if it's really necessary?
shapingBay2.jpg
shapingBay2.jpg (26.58 KiB) Viewed 9232 times
I can just hang 6ft lights from the roof if it isn't.

Will I need a vacuum as well?

I'll get blanks from Shapers Australia, but I see they also have a computer cut service available where they'll do 90% of the shape for you.

Should I consider this option for my first and only do the final 10% myself, or knock one out from scratch?

Start with a PU blank?

If I were to get it glassed by someone else, how much would I be looking at for glassing?

tiger
barnacle

Re: Setting up a shaping bay

Post by tiger » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah Mical, you're gunna need to contain the mess if you do it in your garage.

Definitely start with a PU blank, and go the whole hog and shape one from scratch. I mean whats the point of getting a pre-shape, ya might as well just get a board of a reputable shaper. Besides the blanks available are very low tolerance and not much has to be done if you choose the right one for the board.

Tell the supplier what size board you're gunna make, and they'll send you the best suited blank. Best not to try anything to extreme as this of course complicates all facets of making your 1st board. e.g. very wide fish style boards usually have to be made out of a bigger blank. Which means removing a lot of foam in other area's, not the best idea for a 1st timer. If you make a more std type of board, they'll make a blank that is really close to it.

Good news about PU too, is that it breaks down in fairly large particles. Pretty much just drops to the floor, and doesn't float around all over the place. So there is no real need for any vacuum system, sanding is another matter entirely though.

As for glassing, you'll just have to ask your local factory/ies what they charge. Some guys are stupid and do it really cheap, others charge a premium. So you're looking at anywhere between $200-$350. Personally I wouldn't do it any cheaper than $300.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:23 am

tiger wrote:Best not to try anything to extreme as this of course complicates all facets of making your 1st board. e.g. very wide fish style boards usually have to be made out of a bigger blank. Which means removing a lot of foam in other area's, not the best idea for a 1st timer. If you make a more std type of board, they'll make a blank that is really close to it.
Thanks Tiger, was planning on templating a 6'3" Simon Equiliser I have for a first, always wished I had it in a 6'1" so thought that would be a good place to start.
tiger wrote:As for glassing, you'll just have to ask your local factory/ies what they charge. Some guys are stupid and do it really cheap, others charge a premium. So you're looking at anywhere between $200-$350. Personally I wouldn't do it any cheaper than $300.
That's more than I figured it'd cost, I was thinking I'd probably be able to shape my own boards and get them glassed for a total cost around the $350 mark.

Thought I had the missus on toast with the idea because she says I spend too much on boards :(

Ok, so I guess I'm looking at approx $450-$500 per board doing them myself once I factor in blank, shipping, fin plugs (Futures), glassing.

Still better than $650+ and I get to make what I want.

How the hell are you making any money at $500 a board Mark ??

I assume buying blanks in bulk and getting commercial qty's of boards glassed keep things a little cheaper than someone like me doing one or two at a time.

Can't imagine it'd be much cheaper though, but I suppose you've gotta build the brand.

I assume I'll have to route the fin plugs myself?

Is glassing extremely hard? Something I can do myself as well? My missus isn't sure about me glassing because she's worried about chemicals and fumes . . and me blowing myself up.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 am

Also, I'm thinking about making some racks like these:
4455-shapemate.jpg
4455-shapemate.jpg (27.08 KiB) Viewed 9221 times
4454-laminting.jpg
4454-laminting.jpg (28.45 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
I like the idea of having shaping and glassing attachments, but don't think I'll bother making it extend lengthways.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:48 pm

mical, your off to a great start. So far Ive got some old stands - need to secure them better and got a good idea for this. a power plane, a square, some sandpaper, a surefoam, I think they call it, using a flood light for lighting in my garden shed. What I need- a decent sanding block - will get a medium sanding block online soon as just using a bit of 4x2 with sandpaper glued to it, have a finger plane on order and should be coming in 2 days time. Will make some calipers on thursday. Have another cheap blank which I owe money to fong on and I owe 50 bucks to ledge for his power plane.

Im bloody determined like you are at the moment and its great to see others get into like myself. I move a bit slowly in what im doing but thats mainly cause Im not set up well enough yet and dont really know what Im doing. I have to clear my garden shed a bit better but my wife is a bit keen cause its cheaper than buying and eventually we will get okay.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pricey

Post by pricey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey guys,
Very interesting to read your blogs as I have been shaping in my girlfriends parents shed ( read very very risky lol) but it has turned out sweet. I have put up blue tarpaulins around the walls also to protect and also to mock the colour of a shaping bay so you can see your lines better. I am on my 35th board, and there is no going back for me ( I love shaping and testing out creations!). When I have finished, I just vaccum up the foam dust and its like it was never there!

A couple of hints I can give to you guys.

Firstly, make sure you get your racks as level as possible because that will throw you out. I have a couple of "U" shaped frames made out of metal screwed into pieces of 4x2 and concreted into bucekts (it works but its hard to get perfect). If I was to do it again I'd prob build the whole construction out of timber.

Secondly, with your lights you need them at the right level so that they cast a shadow on the deck and bottom (what ever side is up.) With that in place you can see scratches, uneven parts and your concaves etc so mutch better. If your lights are too high you cant see any of that!

Thirdly, now that your set up, for your first board copy other boards for your template, get it as perfect as you can because thats what your end product is going to look like. Use guide points too i.e centre width, nose and tail to help you keep it symmetrical.

As for the rest of the components like rocker, rails, concaves etc, these come to you from practice but if you research and understand what does what that will help you alot. For example the post on here about hard and soft edges will help you figure out what to put where and why. ( hard edges = lift and soft equal control).

Finally I get my blanks from surfblanks as they seem to be superior but if you want to save money Dions has some bargains. In terms of glassing I pay $250 a board that includes all fin plugs, fins and leash plugs. You just need to supply some acid free tishue paper with your decal on it and your done and dusted!

p.s. if you want to glass your self it is a pain but you can do it for under $150 so that could be an option, hope that is helpful! p.ss shaping is a lifelong endeaver so remember you won't be the best overnight but you'll get there if you hang in!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:02 am

welcome too the forums pricey

great first post 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 am

WTf ??? n pay outs or sarcasm, no writing off anybody or anything, no jokes at all...must be a first for Fong ha ah ah...and only 1 emoticons...maybe the shaping is altering your personality mate ??? i know it fukced mine....ha ha ... :roll: 8) :lol: :roll: :o :shock: :o :shock: :lol: 8) :roll: :roll: :shock: :o :)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks Pricey, as Fong said, great first post.

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:44 am

Ah - this thing is getting bigger tha Beh Hur (thats an old saying for some of your youngsters). Great post but. I wonder howmany shapers we have on board? Like every one has said though - its a bug and there's not much greater joy as you wax one of your creations up for the first time and see how she floats, paddles, rides. I reckon even with only small differences if you've shaped a few, that evryone has subtle differences - and its all part of the buzz when you get a good surf on one and it performs like you'd hoped

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:44 pm

fellas i dont realy want to give a lecture on board making on the internet
no obne realy takes much notice any rate.

but a tip or two shaping stands should be anchored with no bits and peices hanging out
bolt 2 (400 x 300).jpg
bolt 2 (400 x 300).jpg (33.64 KiB) Viewed 9008 times
if you want to glass from the same stand just take on out& put the other in

foor your early shaping buy seconds surfblanks or benets the rest as tim has said

there are even a few more foam blowers around pends where you live

amature glassers try u v it is your best chance of geting a decent job

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Don't be shy of the glassing, after all its just a process and like huey says, the uv setting resin is easy to use and gives you unlimited time to get it all wrapped properly. I rekon that learning to glass gives almost as much satisfaction as shaping.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:16 pm

So if I made the racks above with both attachments they'd be right for glassing on?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:17 pm

pridmore wrote:WTf ??? n pay outs or sarcasm, no writing off anybody or anything, no jokes at all...must be a first for Fong ha ah ah...and only 1 emoticons...maybe the shaping is altering your personality mate ??? i know it darn mine....ha ha ... :roll: 8) :lol: :roll: :o :shock: :o :shock: :lol: 8) :roll: :roll: :shock: :o :)
fuck off

idiot bronco supporter :x

go sux wallys sack....u know u want too :lol:

p.s real men glass there own boards..... :!: unless they are pro's and can't keep up with demand :arrow: :mrgreen:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 pm

mical wrote:So if I made the racks above with both attachments they'd be right for glassing on?
yea just get some tube weld some good plates on bottom
weld a not up near top so you can lock the sister piece when you drop it in
your shaping piece needs to be at a length so you can raise it & lock the piece.
your glassing piece needs to be able to extend higher

sorry not much on typing :roll:

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 am

Thanks for all the info gents, much appreciated.

I have some further questions:

* What dimensions should I make the room?

* How high do I need to make my shaping racks? Is there a specific height or just what works for me.

* Ditto with the lam attachments

* How high do my flouros need to be?

Hope you can help.

cactus
Grommet

Post by cactus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi Mical

The following measurements are a basic outline.
Of course, it's up to you what feels comfortable...

> Room size..12-14' long X 8-10' wide...allow about 6" either side for fluro
shelving.

> Shaping rack height..elbow height
> Glassing stands about 4" higher

> Fluro height is to suit the individual..eg I'm 6'1" and mine are set at 49"
whatever produces the correct 'shadow'

> 2x 4' fluros either side and a single or double overhead preferably with individual switches..and your good to go.

> As huie mentioned foget about hooking up a vac..it'll just get in the way.
..and besides if your worried about gettin dirty , try basket weaving or knitting
or....

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 pm

cactus wrote:Hi Mical

The following measurements are a basic outline.
Of course, it's up to you what feels comfortable...

> Room size..12-14' long X 8-10' wide...allow about 6" either side for fluro
shelving.

> Shaping rack height..elbow height
> Glassing stands about 4" higher

> Fluro height is to suit the individual..eg I'm 6'1" and mine are set at 49"
whatever produces the correct 'shadow'

> 2x 4' fluros either side and a single or double overhead preferably with individual switches..and your good to go.

> As huie mentioned foget about hooking up a vac..it'll just get in the way.
..and besides if your worried about gettin dirty , try basket weaving or knitting
or....
Thanks for the info Cactus, already have a double flouro hanging right overhead so it's just the 2 x 4' I need.

The vac question was more coming from my hope to contain all of the foam dust from coating everything in the garage when planing/sanding. I guess if I'm in an enclosed shaping room it doesn't matter so much.

Re: the knitting, basket weaving . . get fcuked :mrgreen: