Setting up a shaping bay

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Setting up a shaping bay

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Jorgo wrote:. I wonder howmany shapers we have on board?
not a shapers left testie and don't pretend or hope eva be one :shock:

swore off the whole game decades ago....best bloody thing i eva did :idea:

basicly,,,shaping annoys the shit out me cause i have in my mind wat i want do but i can't translate with my hands into the blank :!: :cry:

i quite enjoy glassing....maybe it's the smell :lol:

sanding is a cnut a job if eva there was one :!:

it's fun muck around...but i know my limits....and thats way at the bottom in the scale....i'm sure i could use the machine shapes easily....but could be fu.cked

i'm time poor and only too happy pay a fair amount money for a well shaped board i could only dream about makin myself 8)

everyone should try and shape a board at least once....cause than everyone would relise just how special a skill our pro shapers have :idea:
even the stupid bronco supporting ones :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:31 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:everyone should try and shape a board at least once....cause than everyone would relise just how special a skill our pro shapers have :idea:
even the stupid bronco supporting ones :lol:
Well said, and I'm certainly no shaper and never planning on calling myself one, no matter how many boards I make myself.

That's if I'm any good at it and do more than one. :|

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:13 pm

Yep - good point about the terminology. I reckon a true shaper/designer/whatever you wanna call it/them might apply to an increasingly small bunch. I've made about 35 boards and that just a piss drop in the ocean. Its great fun mind you and as I said the buzz of hitting the water first time is alltime. But there's a lot of hit and miss with that small volume - and not having a permanently set up room is always a pain. Great to hear all the feedback though - helps us hackers of foam.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Shaping stands. I made this one up, so I could move it around. I use it for sanding, but would be fine for shaping. Easy to knock up.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Done.
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
EDIT: Forgot to mention that as of Sunday morning that section of the garage was FULL shelving and of all sorts of shit ... big job.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 pm

jeez that looks the goods mate, espically the calender, that just tops off the whole shed and shaping bay, a job well done indeed, Im jealous and just wished I owned a place so I could set up as well
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:49 am

diggerdickson wrote:jeez that looks the goods mate, espically the calender,
It’s gunna interfere with his curves Digger. One side will have lumps in it.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:49 am

ric_vidal wrote:
The missus will be standing on the other side of the bay glaring at the photo as she has done for the past 2 days no doubt.

There'll be lumps on both sides to balance it out I imagine :wink:

Ric or anyone else really who shapes for a crust, does it look like a workable setup?

I was worried about not having the lights mounted on walls but it seems to be casting the right shadows.

Just interested in others thoughts.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:18 pm

all i want for xmas is my own shaping bay...

Might have to start saving for a house i think.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm in a rental, granted it's our sister in law's place, but everything in there is pretty easy to take out and move.

Cut my outline today, might start a new thread documenting the progress.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:05 pm

mical wrote:I'm in a rental, granted it's our sister in law's place, but everything in there is pretty easy to take out and move.

Cut my outline today, might start a new thread documenting the progress.

Top idea mate, will follow it with interest mical
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:22 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:
pridmore wrote:WTf ??? n pay outs or sarcasm, no writing off anybody or anything, no jokes at all...must be a first for Fong ha ah ah...and only 1 emoticons...maybe the shaping is altering your personality mate ??? i know it darn mine....ha ha ... :roll: 8) :lol: :roll: :o :shock: :o :shock: :lol: 8) :roll: :roll: :shock: :o :)
**** off

idiot bronco supporter :x

go sux wallys sack....u know u want too :lol:

p.s real men glass there own boards..... :!: unless they are pro's and can't keep up with demand :arrow: :mrgreen:
Wally is one of the best players ever..( legend on the field but also done well off it too, just read his book, had a few battles and came out on top.....plus destroyed many Blues teams almost single handedly, dont blame cockroaches for despising the skill of the man .. :roll: . :P ..plus,you have been thanking me for the quality of glassing on the newy, it wouldnt be like that if I did it, thats why I dont do it, to get the best job, plus I dont wanna deal with the shit as I have kids at the shop all the time, bad enviroment for young kids, toxic crap, plus huge insurance costs.....How are the Rabbits goin this season? :P , best forward pack is not showing any ticker at all, except for maybe the ex-Bronco and very occasional effort from the super Pommy import... :P :roll: .. :lol: :twisted: :roll: 8) 8) 8)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:55 pm

mical wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
The missus will be standing on the other side of the bay glaring at the photo as she has done for the past 2 days no doubt.

There'll be lumps on both sides to balance it out I imagine :wink:

Ric or anyone else really who shapes for a crust, does it look like a workable setup?

I was worried about not having the lights mounted on walls but it seems to be casting the right shadows.

Just interested in others thoughts.
M, I don’t shape for a crust, I don’t know what I do anymore :? ... if you can see the lumps :D then the lighting is good enough.

Certain things are an aid, others are a luxury. You can shape outside nude, if that’s what it takes.

Everything I have seen of your set-up suggests you will get a good result. I’m sticking with that. If it turns out really well, please dont f*it up in the glassing and don’t listen to Fang :P use UV resin for your laminates and/or get help... the rest is a cake walk.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:14 pm

^^
I've worked out what it will cost to glass them myself per board, have been asked to spend a day with the glassers who've done my customs for the last 10+ years to learn the basics, but with a baby due sometime in the next 11 days I don't think I'll have the time to spend with them just yet. This concerns me.

Have to call the shop tomorrow and get a price on what they'll sting me and if it's comparable to doing it myself I'll get them to do it.

I believe they're two separate arts and I'd like to get a good handle on one before embarking on the other if it's not going to cost me the earth to have the boys do it.