anyone hear heard of Inegra?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Re: anyone hear heard of Inegra?

Post by dUg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:42 am

Anyone done an whole board in Texallium cloth? I am seriously thinking of giving it a crack. Worked with Kevlar before and it's not supposed to be as nasty as that stuff. I have this vision of riding on a pointy, silver cloud... might even put clear polycarb fins in to complete the effect. :lol:

I can only get 6 or 8oz... tending toward one layer of 6 top and bottom, epoxy with polyester sand / gloss over the top.

Thoughts?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 am

i don't know squat about making boards, but there's some stuff about using Texalium on Swaylocks which i found when i googled it re. the fins.
general consensus seemed to be it was a b itch to work with, and ended up super shiny and got hot when surfing.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:31 pm

dUg wrote:Anyone done an whole board in Texallium cloth? I am seriously thinking of giving it a crack. Worked with Kevlar before and it's not supposed to be as nasty as that stuff. I have this vision of riding on a pointy, silver cloud... might even put clear polycarb fins in to complete the effect. :lol:

I can only get 6 or 8oz... tending toward one layer of 6 top and bottom, epoxy with polyester sand / gloss over the top.

Thoughts?

Silver carbon fiber (aka Silver Texalium) is actually aluminum coated fiberglass. Looks just like 3K 2x2 twill carbon but in Silver!

could this be what you are talking about :?:

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:15 pm

alakaboo wrote:got hot when surfing.
Well... that's pretty much sealed the deal then. :D
huie wrote: Silver carbon fiber (aka Silver Texalium) is actually aluminum coated fiberglass. Looks just like 3K 2x2 twill carbon but in Silver!

Yep Huie... that's the shiz... Hexcell Texalium. Doesn't only come in silver though... also red, blue, and gold for that full bling look. Walk through the pits at the V8 supercars and you'll see loads of the stuff.

FCS H2 fins use the silver cloth in the lay-up.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:29 pm

dUg wrote:
alakaboo wrote:got hot when surfing.
Well... that's pretty much sealed the deal then. :D
huie wrote: Silver carbon fiber (aka Silver Texalium) is actually aluminum coated fiberglass. Looks just like 3K 2x2 twill carbon but in Silver!

Yep Huie... that's the shiz... Hexcell Texalium. Doesn't only come in silver though... also red, blue, and gold for that full bling look. Walk through the pits at the V8 supercars and you'll see loads of the stuff.

FCS H2 fins use the silver cloth in the lay-up.

hey dug ya got a link to that suplier i am going to crank up my r t m mould
wonder if they got basalt

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:54 am

i have two boards that garrett made me in silver texalium..6/3 quad and 6/8 thruster.i had them in bali,and they both look a millon dollars..the boards went the same as any other boards ive had from chriss..ive had the full range from eps,full carbon, 2nd blanks etc..the quad is lighter ..iam not sure if its a 4oz but the 6/8 feels like 6oz..ive had them in the full heat and no probs.there fun to blast kooks with the reflection! japs where all over them!..the weave in the glass is abit shonky but they seem pretty strong ..the deck on the quad around the fins is starting to crush..same as all my boards,apart from the carbonfibre which gets so hot you can hardly touch it..the blackbitch is 4yrs old 4 trips to indo and heaps of time in the Qld sun.no probs apart from a groms fin to the middle rail..tried several ding repair fellas,but still crys some water from the ding,has the valve to let built up air/gas out..i reckon texalium adds a bit of class and thats about it..chriss garrett is one of the greatest shapers in the world and a great bloke to boot,so give him a ring and he will gladly give you the word on all things surfboards

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:25 pm

silvafish wrote:apart from the carbonfibre which gets so hot you can hardly touch it..the blackbitch is 4yrs old 4 trips to indos
How do you find wax lasts on the board compared to standard construction due to the extra heat absorption? I have a red fibreglass board that loses wax at a far greater rate,

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:23 pm

well its a drama to keep it cool,but when the cream melts off and the beeswax base hangs in there,its hard as a rock..would love to try the old ampol wax on it! iam not into deck grips and always have a chunk off tropical sexwax in my boardies,this board has copped a flogging and still no dents apart from rock/reef scrapes,also was born a thruster and after a couple of years,reborn into a quad via garrett..my great grandkids will ride this board i hope oneday

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:46 pm

^^ silva, best advice I ever read regarding heat problems associated with carbon was to have the resin pigmented white... won’t look special but will keep it cool

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:35 pm

So Ric, did you shape that tail because it was the hardest shape you could think of to glass? :shock: :lol:

You do love a challenge don't you.

Gibber, that car topper is a great little boat.

Steve can go out to the shelf on his own, but for lake and estuary it looks a beaut.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

silvafish
Grommet

Post by silvafish » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:17 pm

creased the silver quad in pretty small but chunky waves,did a little bump jump over a wave no where near any sort of air,not one to break or crease any bords in years,maybe not much flex?took the bling off this board!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:11 pm

so how do the innegra glassed boards surf ?, performance ? flex. etc...??? hearing negative things from people who know boards.....( not about strength s much but perf ) :?:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:11 am

oldman wrote:So Ric, did you shape that tail because it was the hardest shape you could think of to glass? :shock: :lol:
Influenced by one of the touring Brazillians who does kite boards. :D Seems to work.

Mark, recently finished a new one for myself with only 2oz Innegra on the bottom. Rode it for the first time yesterday at NO BANKS (Curl Curl), too early to tell much of anything, and neither I nor the board would be considered high perf. :lol:

Deck of the mal I did is not standing up as well as I thought. 2oz E + 2oz Innegra + 6oz E. Firm blanks still play a BIG part.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 am

Thanks olds, am taking orders if you're keen :)

I gave muz at base some 2oz for use on one of brooko's boards and got some good feedback. The shape was a bit different to what he usually rides so is a clouded result as far as performance goes unfortunately but it do go ok
Biggest issue for base was the economics of producing boards with this cloth, well the uneconomic nature of using this cloth.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 pm

I got some great strength results ( after initial very poor result but may be due to poly resin and possibly soft foam ) but I am keen to hear what it does to perf when using big amounts ( full bottoms and or decks ) , I am keen to hear how it effects the flex and the feel of the boards ride.
RV, the one you are unhappy with strength, is that poly or epoxy ? I think it works much better with epoxy from my few boards...

huie
Local

Post by huie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:38 pm

epoxy under vacum with non woven fabrics r t m :) looks like feral dave and very few others :roll: cheers huie

feraldave
Grommet

Post by feraldave » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:44 pm

huie wrote:epoxy under vacum with non woven fabrics r t m :) looks like feral dave and very few others :roll: cheers huie
Getting warm Huie....

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:24 pm

pridmore wrote: RV, the one you are unhappy with strength, is that poly or epoxy ? I think it works much better with epoxy from my few boards...
All polyester, MP... epoxy is a bit problematic in too many ways from my limited experience. In fairness, I should do another using epoxy. May be some time I will.

Still put it more down to blank rather than glassing. The compressing hasn't worsened to that extent despite being ridden often and the board seems to good have good flex in spite of the carbon bottom and rails.

Still fiddly to work with Innegra if you ask me, depends on your expectations I guess.

Edit: I meant to say the compressing HADN'T worsened
Last edited by ric_vidal on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.