Gloss Coat

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

marcus
Owl status

Re: Gloss Coat

Post by marcus » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 pm

Collnarra is on the money, its to do with boundary layers check out the second link
making it shiny http://boardlady.com/shiny.htm
making it fast http://boardlady.com/fast.htm
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 pm

marcus wrote:Collnarra is on the money, its to do with boundary layers check out the second link
making it shiny http://boardlady.com/shiny.htm
making it fast http://boardlady.com/fast.htm
Like the fast lady, but maybe as i mentioned a 2 on 1 could be worth a try, with the shiny and the fast ladies together :oops:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:17 pm

There you go, the yachts were roughing up their hulls years ago.

Shiny on top so it looks good in the shop, matt finish on the bottom for speed :idea:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 pm

ric you know as well as i do
the sanded finish was invented by bloody shapers
in a hurry to get there new board in the water its been going on since the sixtys haaa''
heres a test get a std board with sanded finish & a clean polish finish
run the hose on the bottoms tell me what you see?/

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

The sanded finish may well have been first practiced by shapers eager to get new boards under team riders' feet a bit quicker. But the boundary layer thing is real and has been demonstrated over and over again in numerous boat hull tests. You feel it quite distinctly in paddleboards, specially going downwind, when you're picking up runs.

If ya want the fastest bottom you can get, do a thin gloss coat then rub it back in straight lines, nose to tail, using 800-1200 grit and without breaking through to the glass layer.

You'll end up with a satiny finish and a boundary layer effect and the board will feel noticeably slipperier through the water.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:17 am

huie wrote:ric you know as well as i do
the sanded finish was invented by bloody shapers
in a hurry to get there new board in the water its been going on since the sixtys haaa''
heres a test get a std board with sanded finish & a clean polish finish
run the hose on the bottoms tell me what you see?/
:lol: I see nothing H, I have NO polished boards, not even on the floor.

Isn’t the point that you get a boundary layer?

Works for swimmers (Speedo) then works for boards, you can't tell me they couldn’t get a slick surface on suits if they wanted.

Realistically I think it is all academic, especially to we plebs.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:33 am

Nick Carroll wrote:The sanded finish may well have been first practiced by shapers eager to get new boards under team riders' feet a bit quicker. But the boundary layer thing is real and has been demonstrated over and over again in numerous boat hull tests. You feel it quite distinctly in paddleboards, specially going downwind, when you're picking up runs.

If ya want the fastest bottom you can get, do a thin gloss coat then rub it back in straight lines, nose to tail, using 800-1200 grit and without breaking through to the glass layer.

You'll end up with a satiny finish and a boundary layer effect and the board will feel noticeably slipperier through the water.
Jeebus Nick, friends were doing silky sanded graphite finishes on their boats back when I was sailing a Manly Junior - that’s nearly 40 years ago. It ain’t new to me.

But, and there is always a BUTT (where’s the little fella anyway?) you of all people should know the surfboard industry does not look to complicate or add processes (expense), it looks for every cheap shortcut in the book and will find a reason to vindicate it.

Clear, solvent-based acrylic, good enough for the automotive industry, good enough for this, and it’s probably darn more flexible than finish resin. Can be finished as far as you like. Hide the sins of the world too - what weave?

What are the S-techs and SUPs finished with? Probably linear polyester from a spray gun.

Times are a changing, albeit slowly. You want shiney? Go and buy a mal or some 800-1200 grit from Bunnings and put ya back into it. :P

Just keep me from the PAINT solvents, christ if you think acetone is bad? :?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:53 am

ric
havent got time now

will be back to night will make my case haa.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm

huie wrote:will be back to night will make my case haa.
better be bloody good :D

huie
Local

Post by huie » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:58 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
jez ric i had a whole page typed out ph rang & i go to submit it & its gone

i am not going through that again#####
my argument is not about the boundry layer
it is that the board should be gloss coated first then machined out no sand throughs
i do it every day belive me done right wet sand is good 10 miniutes more for the show
lacqer finish noooo
2 pack noooo
learn to do a good gloss the board will last longer
covering sand throughs with lacqer ohhh makes me shiver''

thers making boards for the love of it?
and theres macking boards for a living
two different beasts all together

now ric lets talk sense are you still doing anything with the vac baging

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 am

huie wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:
jez ric i had a whole page typed out ph rang & i go to submit it & its gone
Glad I’m not the only one who’s done that. :D

Huie, in all honesty I’m quite OCD about board finishes, but don’t have the appropriate setting and circumstances to do exactly what I want if that makes sense.
huie wrote:now ric lets talk sense are you still doing anything with the vac baging
Not as yet Huie, been side-tracked in oh so many ways. The mind is willing but everything else is pissweak.

Watch this space though, I’m delving into something that may rattle the cage.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:37 am

ric_vidal wrote:Watch this space though, I’m delving into something that may rattle the cage.
:shock:

:lol:

I don't think my imagination runs wide enough to think of what that could be Ric. Looking forward to it. Go get 'em big fella. :wink:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:48 am

ric_vidal wrote:Clear, solvent-based acrylic, good enough for the automotive industry, good enough for this, and it’s probably darn more flexible than finish resin. Can be finished as far as you like. Hide the sins of the world too - what weave?
Did they not go through a phase of this back in the late 80s, that Pro Teck finish stuff.

Urrggh, don't go there.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:30 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Clear, solvent-based acrylic, good enough for the automotive industry, good enough for this, and it’s probably darn more flexible than finish resin. Can be finished as far as you like. Hide the sins of the world too - what weave?
Did they not go through a phase of this back in the late 80s, that Pro Teck finish stuff.

Urrggh, don't go there.
Nick, what makes you think they ever left? They may not have that dull matt finish of the Protech, but I think you might just find it’s still used daily.

If you need verification, visit some of the biggest laminating firms or other Warriewood establishments and follow the scent of Septone.

Did you ever watch the Quiksilver video with the section on their stable of board shapers (oops, designers)? :wink: If memory serves, Darren Handley talks the process including clear spray and wet rub.

Like I said before, nothing wrong with it in my book. Good enough for cars and what they are subjected to so should be good enough for boards. My only concern is what it may be hiding.

You want to know what a sanded filler coat really looks like, pick up a strong coloured board and check out the pin holes.

While you’re at it, investigate what the finish is on some of Base’s boards.

Are the joys of repair, inspecting other people’s work ethic. Next! :mrgreen:

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:

Urrggh, don't go there.
yep i was against it then
still am. i do it my way dont give a rats what they do realy.

and nick please give me the name of that video of mainly t c i need it for the kids

ric pm me your ph no i will give you a call might be able to save you a quid haa

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:12 am

huie wrote: ric pm me your ph no i will give you a call might be able to save you a quid haa
Don’t worry Huie, I’ve got yours still... timing is not right yet, but I will go to the master when it is. :wink:

How goes the CDD project?

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:11 am

ric_vidal wrote:
You want to know what a sanded filler coat really looks like, pick up a strong coloured board and check out the pin holes.

Rick - I've been thinking of getting a board from Base, can you elaborate on the Base board finishes? Their site just talks about the Hexcel french glass and sanded finishes. I have been told lay the glass at 45 degrees to the stringer as well for additional strength?

What's the story??
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

black duck wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:

Rick - I've been thinking of getting a board from Base, can you elaborate on the Base board finishes? Their site just talks about the Hexcel french glass and sanded finishes. I have been told lay the glass at 45 degrees to the stringer as well for additional strength?

What's the story??
Don’t know to be honest BDuck, just most of the recent Simon’s ‘look’ like they have a bit of a different finish, could be just the level of finish - either way it is NOT a criticism. There’s a few in at the the moment, will have a look, especially at the 45° lay up as hadn’t noticed.