To shape?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

To shape?

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:34 am

Thinking of grabbing a blank from Dion and attacking it in the hope of producing something resembling a surfboard. If so is there somewhere that will do the glassing?
kreepykrawly wrote: may the fleas of a thousand camels infest your balls

entity

Re: To shape?

Post by entity » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Have a shot at it yourself. Its messy, smelly and stressful, but a wonderful sense of accomplishment.
When a first time shaper brings a board in to be glassed They are told it better be clean no sharp edges or raised stringers etc. or will be charged accordingly to fix the problems to get it to glassing stage.
There a millions of glassing vids around now. Or on the net.
Its not rocket science and nothing that cant be fixed if you fcuk it up.

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:15 pm

Done.
entity wrote: Its messy, smelly and stressful, but a wonderful sense of accomplishment.
Brings back memories. :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:12 pm

so what are you shaping ??? :?: 8) give us all the details.....

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:15 am

Initially I'm hoping to copy a Stretch quad that has served me well, 6' 5" 19.5 2.625 (R.I.P).The bat tail could be a bit ambitious, could a standard round square work? As for materials I'm still confused about which resin works with which foam? If possible I'd like to go light and durable. At 100 kg pu boards tended to die quickly. First plan is to build a stand and gather tools. Surfblanks and Dion are in my area so I imagine I'll get my materials from one or other or both. Other templates that I could copy are a 6'9" Webber afterburner, 6'8" pu thruster or flat thick 70's single-fin. Very excited about the possibilities and any assistance much appreciated.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:27 am

sounds like you liked the Stretch so you should do something very similar I reckon....PM any questions, be glad to help, hope to see pics as it comes to life.

Please write Kreepy's quote about the camel on the board somewhere, classic stuff... :roll: 8)

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:10 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:25 pm

pridmore wrote:sounds like you liked the Stretch so you should do something very similar I reckon....PM any questions, be glad to help, hope to see pics as it comes to life. take lots of measurements from the old stretch and just take it slow, copying is tricky but I would just have fun and enjoy the whole process...good stuff 8)

Please write Kreepy's quote about the camel on the board somewhere, classic stuff... :roll: 8)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:56 pm

Eddie Punchclock wrote:First plan is to build a stand and gather tools.
EP, I’ve got 2 of these that may help for your stands, made of thick ply, may have some other stuff that would help too.

All you need is some cans, try a board-maker or laminating company for resin pails, 2x4 up rights and some quick set cement to weight them. Bolts through the slot so they can be adjusted to your height
stand.jpg
stand.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 7948 times
I used 2 PER stand, but you could probably get away with one. Just rim the edge with that split foam they put on roof racks.

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 pm

Nice, makes my milk-crate idea look a bit flimsy :oops: .If you want to sell any bits and pieces I'm keen

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:08 pm

I used to use mill crates, chairs or anything around.... I still like to collect things that have different curves that I can use, I have a fruit platter that does a great tail curve....and all sorts of things that have special little uses.... 8)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:31 pm

pridmore wrote:I used to use mill crates, chairs or anything around.... I still like to collect things that have different curves that I can use, I have a fruit platter that does a great tail curve....and all sorts of things that have special little uses.... 8)
Helps if you know someone with a CNC machine and you know your way around vector-based drawing software. :wink:

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:57 pm

^^^^^ Wasn't sure if the photos would work. It's 6'6" 19.5 2"5/8. Started off as a 6'10" blank from surfblanks. Thanks to RicV and RichQ from Pure at Cromer for all your help. I'd better get it glassed before I ruin it, keep walking past with sand-paper and playing with it. :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:26 am

salty wrote:Any reason you're not glassing it yourself?
Pretty sure he did, Salty, with some supervision from Rich the master of thousands of glass jobs.

It was plugged and sanded Saturday by Rich and Eddie so he is responsible for any lack of swell. :D I’m sure he will be itching to get it wet somewhere.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:39 am

salty wrote:Looks really great... esp for your first go. The outline is a little straight (i.e. not one continuous curve) through the middle, or was that your intention?
Shoulda answered this too. :oops:

Lot of this stuff, straight up, is harder than it looks especially if you don’t have appropriate templates. Then it’s into the nervous sweat of actually cutting and shaping, easy to take off, not so to put back on. There are ways to approach this like any crafting of a product, it just takes time to learn a suitable one.

With your project, Salty, the hardest work will be done by a machine. Still takes a skill to finish a pre-shape, but turning one of these into a board takes more.
Pre-shape versus bog standard blank.
cutblank.jpg
cutblank.jpg (7.68 KiB) Viewed 7716 times
1Spaintournewslarge.jpg
1Spaintournewslarge.jpg (51.82 KiB) Viewed 7708 times

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 pm

salty wrote:Looks really great... esp for your first go. The outline is a little straight (i.e. not one continuous curve) through the middle, or was that your intention?

Any reason you're not glassing it yourself?
Cheers Salty! The intention was to replicate my 6'5 stretch quad.The straight section (reverse curve) :shock: was not intentional. Am yet to ride it but in any case it was a great learning process. Judging by the accumulation of 'test' blanks piling up in the Pure racks I'm pretty hooked. :oops: Thanks to Rich and Ric she's glassed and ready. In the spirit of naming boards I'm calling it the Titanic; it looks like an unsinkable boat but it's odds of survival aren't great. :)http://s197.photobucket.com/albums/aa31 ... 0_1331.jpg

Eddie Punchclock
Grommet

Post by Eddie Punchclock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Ric is a patient man yet ultimately a perfectionist, you can't go wrong!