To shape?

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

eMpowered
Local

Re: To shape?

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:33 am

Don, Cut, Paste. Kern simple?

What happened?
Last edited by eMpowered on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:49 am

Last edited by eMpowered on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 am

pridmore wrote:souless, cheating ????? yeah, I thought that too but there isnt too many shapers that dont use them these days and for good reason...
Thought that would rattle a few cages. :twisted: Many a debate on this, Mark. Difference is you CAN shape. For others it’s a bit like learning the shortcuts before you know the real way to do something. There are ‘shapers’ out there that in the true sense can’t.

Why do you think we have an influx of boards from your beloved Asia?

I’ve been designing (as in graphic) on a computer for a bloody long time, so as Huie said, manipulating a few vector points is child’s play. Happily do all my designing using Aku Shaper software and go in with a plan and a piece of paper, but things often change when I start cutting.

Still seen some abominations out of machines and I don’t necessarily mean from a design perspective, just over or under-cut blanks that have to be ‘fixed’. You can’t fix an over-cut.

I know some of the machine companies rely on over-sized blanks to carve out a board, this is not going to give you a strong deck or board. Have a look at the state of some of the pieces of rubbish floating around - why? Man the things that come into Rich’s place you would not believe, well yes you probably would.

Additionally, it costs money for a pre-shape, money you could be earning yourself, they then have to be transported means the potential for damage and more time not working (earning money), but perhaps more importantly some people actually enjoy the process of creating.

On the machine side, what you see on screen versus the reality of feeling, looking, and if necessary adjusting is gone, you basically don’t have a clue until you get it back. Sure if you are punching out basically the same thing from existing files there is going to be predictability.

Saw an article recently that professed ‘designers’ could spend a year getting a file right :shock: all well and good if you want to mass produce, but frankly I don’t. :mrgreen:

Machines - the devil’s work... :twisted:

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:24 am

Shaping software good...machine translation not always good.....I like to call inexperienced designers "Drunks with guns" .....you cant pick up a computer screen, put it under your arm & FEEL it. You cant view a whole, actual size board on a 17" monitor.
Like I said...software good, amazing actually, ...physical reality ...still a ways to go yet. Besides...hand shaping is WAAAYY more fun than sitting in front of a computer!

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:12 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Saw an article recently that professed ‘designers’ could spend a year getting a file right :shock: all well and good if you want to mass produce, but frankly I don’t. :mrgreen:

Machines - the devil’s work... :twisted:
Saw one of the great architects on TV say that he won't spend more than 7 :?: minutes at a time on the computer, and that he leaves most of that part up to his draughtsmen

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:40 am

daryl wrote:Saw one of the great architects on TV say that he won't spend more than 7 :?: minutes at a time on the computer, and that he leaves most of that part up to his draughtsmen
Maybe a draughtsmen got to this one :shock: interesting deck concave and then there’s the skin still on the board at the right. It isn’t the machines, it the people who drive ’em.
plug.jpg
plug.jpg (50.93 KiB) Viewed 3933 times

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:44 am

Is there a saying, that a blind man can do anything? There's proof. Eh. :?

GeckoTube
Grommet

Post by GeckoTube » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Me too Wingnut - about to embark on the same mission.
I am going the machine shape and the will be completing from there.
Glassing with Epoxy.
Question I have is with Fin systems....I wanna do plugs for the thruster/quad combo but where do I get fusian boxes from?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sat May 05, 2012 10:51 am

GeckoTube wrote:Me too Wingnut - about to embark on the same mission.
I am going the machine shape and the will be completing from there.
Glassing with Epoxy.
Question I have is with Fin systems....I wanna do plugs for the thruster/quad combo but where do I get fusian boxes from?
FCS won't sell them to you unless you're a board factory, your local shaper might.

There's two guys in the US I know of selling them on ebay, around US$45 for a thruster set.