Dimple Bottoms ???

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Dimple Bottoms ???

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 pm

so, whats the latest on the dimple mark???
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm

still riding the original one is still going great, its the board I ride when the waves are good...havent done too many more been too busy and the additional costs involved have made potential customers hesitant to order, will have one or 2 available at my next demo day so people can feel how they go...
will have them on my next boards thats for sure....they do work, thats for sure..... 8)

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:44 pm

another dimple done...will probably post on the MORE thread for those who are interested... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 pm

ohhh, cmon mark, post a pic mate, you know you wanna deep down......

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 pm

yes, I do like sharing and discussing the shapes I do...but not all seem to wanna see them...so its over on the MORE thread now mate....

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:05 pm

C'mon digger don't egg him on any More. please :D fck More pics. :twisted:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Natho wrote:C'mon digger don't egg him on any More. please :D darn More pics. :twisted:
Ahh natho :lol: I dont care who the shapers are that post and for what reasons, I just love seeing their pics and hearing what there thinking in those one track minds that they have, surfboards, surfboards, surf, surf, beer, beer. Their all the same mate, all frothing little kids that produce the surfboards that we ride.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 pm

No problems Digger if the pics are in aid showing various aspects of general board design (then Im with you :D :D as this is a design forum) , rather than shameless self promotion in aid of sucking in another realsurfer for another surfboard $$$transaction$$$. Hey no probs with the odd plug, just get a bit jack when the majority of threads are hijacked in aid of flogging another board. Now UIm not saying its happend in this thread, but it has in many others on realsurf. Would love to see more shapers post up some design pics, however unfortuntaely some that used be semi regular on here ended up getting jack of these forums and left. Would love to see more pics from experienced shapers such as Dave. Also would love to see more shapers start their own dedicated thread such as Josh has . That's great because if you want to see his great work, its a one stop shop, however its not pushed in the face of those who couldn't give two sh!ts at the same time.

kookster
regular

Post by kookster » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Errrrrm, well maybe if now that Mark has started his own thread and is doing "the right thing" everyone can stop harping on about it - that way yet another great shaper won't get the shits and leave as well...
Happiness is wanting everything you have.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:58 pm

Agree with most of what you said.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 pm

I'd love more shapers to become more active on the forum. If they're not here discussing over the innnernet, where are they? Swaylocks?
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:27 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I'd love more shapers to become more active on the forum. If they're not here discussing over the innnernet, where are they? Swaylocks?
yup, they certainly are, its a great site.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:31 am

Natho wrote:Agree with most of what you said.

natho, you just love picking a fight, all I can say is that mark shaped me a wonderful quad, I miss it a hell of a lot. I dont think you can fluke the board that he made me. Anyways we are all allowed our thoughts on shapers, as long as you dont shove it down our throughts which you always seem to do at any chance you get. If you have a beef with mark, take it up with him via pm instead of this sort of crap, why would other shapers come here to this site when they see this sorta crap. Anways mate, did you end up riding roys board or are you going to. Im sure I read you were going to ride his board as a test, I might have been mistaken.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:16 am

Hey Digger I've got nothing against Mark on a personal level.Ive never met him and it seems like he is probably not a bad bloke in person.I also respect the fact that he is trying to make a living in a very hard game.....my main issue is how much of these forums are used by him to self promote. Also he even stated on his own thread something along the lines that people who are not into his thoughts and shapes are "tossers" and that 80% of shapers shape under volumed boards for their customers. I just thought those comments were a bit rich.anyway it's only my opinion and I don't need others to agree with me.thats what forums are for.im sure Mark is a big boy and realises that by plugging himself as much as he does on here, he is going to get a bit of criticism from those who would like these forums to be more about advise and genuine feedback rather than promoting ones self.And as you would have worked out by now I like to stir the pot to make the forums less boring. Ok back to dimple bottoms.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:54 am

few points Natho...I am now posting alot less on other threads
- someone started a thread specifically for my shapes
- when I said 'tossers', pretty sure I meant people like you who are way too concerned with where and what I post
- for someone who dislikes my posts so much, wonder why you have even been looking at that thread which is only my stuff..
- yes, I do believe approx 80% of shapes I see are under volumed compared to mine, probably got alot to do with the waves I surf and make boards for , for you to make out that some comments are a 'bit rich' is your opinion but you are incorrect as you have taken them in the wrong context ...
- I dont care what you think, its the guys I make boards for that matter...I do my best and dont claim to be any ledgend, just doin my best to make a living doing what I love and my father also did...and you are right, you dont know me at all...the guys that are sticking up for me do...You are one person on the net and only one opinion and you are allowed to have it...but gee its a bit of a broken record...and its not gunna stop me posting pics...especially when I get others asking me to continue...no wonder other shapers dont bother with RS...I am not gunna reply to any crap you have anymore, I have tried to express my point in a civil manner but I am done ..I am just gunna continue doing my thing and enjoying it....and yes, back to Dimples...as it should have always been....

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Yep, more dimples please!

I wonder how similar the effect of a dimple-bottom board is to a jet-bottom board? The jet bottom is very busy and chaotic looking but supposedly once it gets up and going its really good...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Yep, more dimples please!

I wonder how similar the effect of a dimple-bottom board is to a jet-bottom board? The jet bottom is very busy and chaotic looking but supposedly once it gets up and going its really good...

ive been reading a fair bit about jet bottoms and the choas the bottom creates with water and how it sorta causes the board to lift a hell of a lot and motor across on top of the water, sorta like downhill skiing. It makes sense to me, wether its true or not I dont know as i have not riding one, but one day would love to, could you imagine making one, my first aim is a 8 channel, but one day, ohhh one day, one can dream cant they???

Captian, I think dimples could be seen as the same sort of theory, there is no direct flow for the water, it is sorta broken up causing the same sorta choas thing. You could be onto something, what ya think out there guys

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:15 pm

It maybe works like a stepped hull on a boat - more turbulance, less friction. Sounds like it would be interesting in practice.