Mr chunky

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Mr chunky

Post by Beerfan » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:05 pm

A bloke on another forum made himself a big boy board, 8' x 19 1/2 x 23 3/4 x 17 1/2 x 3 5/8''. As you can imagine, he's catching SHIT loads of waves and is loving it in little bit overhead to knee high mush. A bit too far outside the box for most, but i like foam, so im thinking of doing one for myself, but a little smaller ( he's a big bloke ). I notice surfblanks have a 7'2'' funboard blank, fairly flat rocker ( 4.88 and 2.36 ), wider than wide and thick. Im thinking of around 17 1/2n x 22 1/4-1/2 x 15 1/2. Not as extreme as the 8'er, but still for me it will be plenty of foam and i reckon it will be a bit of a claytons longboard, if you know what i mean. Would do it as a quad/single, so i can cruise, or carve.

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... ooter2.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... hooter.jpg[/img][/img][/url]

puurri
Owl status

Re: Mr chunky

Post by puurri » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:25 pm

Beerfan wrote:A bloke on another forum made himself a big boy board, 8' x 19 1/2 x 23 3/4 x 17 1/2 x 3 5/8''. As you can imagine, he's catching SHIT loads of waves and is loving it in little bit overhead to knee high mush. A bit too far outside the box for most, but i like foam, so im thinking of doing one for myself, but a little smaller ( he's a big bloke ). I notice surfblanks have a 7'2'' funboard blank, fairly flat rocker ( 4.88 and 2.36 ), wider than wide and thick. Im thinking of around 17 1/2n x 22 1/4-1/2 x 15 1/2. Not as extreme as the 8'er, but still for me it will be plenty of foam and i reckon it will be a bit of a claytons longboard, if you know what i mean. Would do it as a quad/single, so i can cruise, or carve.

[img][img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j157/ ... hooter.jpg[/img][/img][/url]

except for the multiple fins it's a 711 reinvented.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:07 pm

puurri wrote:
Beerfan wrote:A bloke on another forum made himself a big boy board, 8' x 19 1/2 x 23 3/4 x 17 1/2 x 3 5/8''. As you can imagine, he's catching SHIT loads of waves and is loving it in little bit overhead to knee high mush. A bit too far outside the box for most, but i like foam, so im thinking of doing one for myself, but a little smaller ( he's a big bloke ). I notice surfblanks have a 7'2'' funboard blank, fairly flat rocker ( 4.88 and 2.36 ), wider than wide and thick. Im thinking of around 17 1/2n x 22 1/4-1/2 x 15 1/2. Not as extreme as the 8'er, but still for me it will be plenty of foam and i reckon it will be a bit of a claytons longboard, if you know what i mean. Would do it as a quad/single, so i can cruise, or carve.

That would be great to do the ironing on.

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:08 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:
puurri wrote:

That would be great to do the ironing on.
Do you iron?

Would you like to iron for me?

:lol: :lol:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi Ron,
I Ron.
Da do ron ron.

Signed: Phil Spector

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Looks like fun for those cruisey days on the points. Let us know how it goes!

Beerfan

big

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:04 am

RBP, that's not mine in the pic. Just thinking of a summer wave hoggin fun machine. Its either something like that or a standard 8' longboard. Been on a bit of a nose riding binge lately on the egg. Trying to cheat 5 on any wave that'll let me haha. Feels awesome trimming from right up near the nose. Swapping boards with my mate ( 8'6'') only feeds the addiction.

rightbrainpositive
Local

Re: big

Post by rightbrainpositive » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm

Beerfan wrote:RBP, that's not mine in the pic. Just thinking of a summer wave hoggin fun machine. Its either something like that or a standard 8' longboard. Been on a bit of a nose riding binge lately on the egg. Trying to cheat 5 on any wave that'll let me haha. Feels awesome trimming from right up near the nose. Swapping boards with my mate ( 8'6'') only feeds the addiction.
If I could have a 2nd board for points, I'd pick a stubby shape around 8' that I could try and nose ride too. I can do cheater 5's on my wife's minimal (7'6") but there's not enough foam (and probs too much nose rocker) to do them properly.

I seriously think you're onto a fun option :)

Beerfan

fT

Post by Beerfan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:16 pm

A few times, if the wave has been fat and slow enough, i have pulled off a cheater 5 on my 6'2'' twin keel. Although, it is 22'' wide, has a 16'' nose and is 3'' thick. The 6'10 egg pridmore made me is awesome for cheater 5's, most waves i get i try to cheater 5 on when the wave dies off. It trims great from up near the nose.

My 8'er would have a 17'' nose, be 22'' wide ( an inch or 2 in front of centre ) and have a 14 3/4-15'' tail, and be 3'' thick. Or thereabouts haha

I did stuff around with boardcad, and came up with a fat arse wombat type board, 18''n x 22'' x 16'' x 6'6''. Flatish rocker. It'd be fun i reckon, but i like walking around on boards.

Cheers mate

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Go for it Mr Beer - my mate wanted to learn how to surf (he's 40 yrs old- but good athlete/fit); advised him to get a simular shape to what you describe to get max waves with great stability. gave him the names of a few shapers well known for 'more foam'. After chatting with Grant Miller he ended up getting a big Powerglide custom made (8' x 23x 3").

Lucky for me he went OS for work so I have been 'storing' it for him for over a year. I did not use it for the first few months, and sort of forgot about it as Ive never been a fan of big boards

But took it out first on one of those near glassy winter days with perfect TINY waves. No way I would have been able to surf any of my other boards as face of waves about 1-3 foot. This thing paddles onto the tiny lumps of swell very early - and I am able to sett up for a little hooting wave - step off onto sand and repeat. Had many great little suprise sessions on tiny beachies.

I also found a use when the points are real crwoded and its small - get waves real early - love it. Wont replace my short boards - but definetly has a place in my quiver. When my mate returns from OS I will have to buy one (they must cost a bit :? ) - or otherwise convince him that surfing is way overrated, take him out on a few 'big dumping beach break' close out days as an intro to the 'sport' - and then offer to take the Miller off his hands so he can buy some golf clubs :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm

Last edited by pridmore on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 pm

One of my mates got nicknamed "mr chunky', for reasons not to be mentioned on here :lol: :shock: