Wooden surfboard

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pagoda
Grommet

Wooden surfboard

Post by pagoda » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:22 pm

Having mowed some foam and popped out a few home made jobbies a few years back I am now thinking I would like to have a go at a hand made wooden board. Couple of Qs What is the normal timber and are they always constructed in manner similar to aircraft wing. I would like a 9'6' or even a 10' Are there modern design plans available ? I've gone the google etc. Has anyone built a craft they'd recommend for those tiny tiny days when you just want to pick a line and statue to the shore

stuey

Post by stuey » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:03 pm

I prefer snortin lines and goin beserk ta pickin em and doin da statue.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:54 pm

http://www.hollowsurfboards.com/surfboards.htm

Pagoda, try this link. This guy builds some of the best looking hollow boards around. Very approachable I believe. platty.

pagoda
Grommet

Post by pagoda » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:16 pm

Thanks Platty - perfect spot to jump in from - looks like a big job !

platty
regular

Post by platty » Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:29 pm

Pagoda, found another wooden board site. I think this guy is a Kiwi. I've seen some photos of his boards in one of the Aus longboard mags.platty.http://www.woodensurfboardbuilder.com/

Surfer Sam

Hollow Timber Mals

Post by Surfer Sam » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:05 pm

Pagoda,

I had the good luck to run into an old bloke at Crescent head many years ago who took me under his wing and taught me how to make hollow timber surfboards. You are on the right track by thinking in terms of like an aircraft wing. If you can get some of the old Popular Mechanics books from the 1950's and 60's they have all this stuff in them. The timber that I used was a mixture of Red and White Meranti and Western Red Cedar. the other tip that i would give you is go and talk toa boat builder and supplier so that you can work out which glues, epoxy's, etc... that you will need.

I got the basic idea from the Guru and them sat down and had to work out how many laminates for the width, how to get the rocker, what plan shape, etc... the other thing to consider is how long will the board be. The problem is that Marine ply (only use proper 3 sheet ply) only comes in 8' lengths, now if you want a longer board you will have to work out how to chamfer the ply to join it.

There is heaps in builing one and you will need alot of patience, but they look great on the wall and go like the old mals (complete lack of turning).

Give it a go and have some fun in the sun.
Surfer Sam