So chunky, you could carve it...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

So chunky, you could carve it...

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:19 pm

OK, after the bitter disappointment of ‘here we go again’, here we go again :D this time normal, well sort of. :?

No spray, no blood clot pigment, black decal, no honey comb, no bats. Wonder how many fins I can jam into this thing? :shock: Hmmm, pvc!

PU foam to make life easier, epoxy laminates to be followed with polyester fillers.

More foam than the Bismark in this one, kind of Milleresque like his Waterskates.

Pridaddle, ever done a round tail quad?

Garage floor is a bit like the lawn. :twisted:

Beerfan

quad

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:33 pm

More foam than the Bismark in this one, kind of Milleresque like his Waterskates

Nice, a man after my own heart. Nothin wrong with foam.

Pridaddle, ever done a round tail quad?

Let us know how it goes mate. I have a round tail disc kinda board with a 15'' round tail, and a set of fcs PC7 quad fins that i plan to put on it. Interested to hear your thoughts on placement. Im thinking of a mckee quattro setup. Im more carve than snap, and i think the mckee setup will work better for my "style" ( haha what style!! ).

Keep us updated ric. Any chance of an outline and rocker shot??

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: quad

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Beerfan wrote:Any chance of an outline and rocker shot??
Not sure that I’ll bother with the quad, see what unfolds... talking fat tailed quads, BeerF, this raised a few eyebrows, tail is probably in excess of 16", bit of a wild thing but lots of fun in appropriate conditions.

Outline and rocker to follow when not sticky the board that is... :wink: :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 pm

yeah done several ...most have been pretty standard shortboard template and rockers . I had a few that went really well and they seemed to be the wider tailed ones with more tail rocker, the narrower ones with standard tail rocker were stiff, super drivey but too stiff for my liking...

Beerfan

quad

Post by Beerfan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:16 am

Wow ric, that would be interesting !!. Nice thinking outside the square as usual. How does it turn???

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:44 am

can we see a planshape shot Ric ?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: quad

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:40 am

Beerfan wrote:Wow ric, that would be interesting !!. Nice thinking outside the square as usual. How does it turn???
Got to keep it flat as you can imagine, looks more like a kneeboard than stand up. Like lots of boards of this nature, good on the forehand but sketchy on the backhand.

Lent it to a friend one day and first session he pulls a 360º, eventually did one myself. :lol:

Interesting thing was you could (haven't ridden it for yonks) ride it a number of ways, very much off the backfoot or way forward and draw out your turns. Certainly had some rides etched in my mind with it.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:17 am

pridmore wrote:can we see a planshape shot Ric ?
This one Mark, the psuedo quad or the new one? Here’s the old girl, bit battered and briuised...

The new one is the same planshape as the composite that snapped. Like this one...

The thickness, rails and everything else is totally different. Single to a bit of a pronounced concave V. VERY chunky tail and nose, tail is probably as thick if not thicker than my 9'4". Rocker/foil of the new one...

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:15 am

Here's a few round-tail quads I pinched from the 6OZ site. Shaped by Rabbidge, I wonder how they would go?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:46 am

really nice planshapes and nice looking boards all-round..I have discussed and considered channells in some of my small wave but decided against it because channells are a design that works best when the waves are good, clean and have some push to them. For me the small wave shape with channells is a bit of a contridiction of sorts, just unsure of the versatlity of these boards, what conditions wpould they be ideal for ??? probably great in small and clean stuff, but wouldnt a subtle single to double concave without channells be suited to those conditions also, as well as being much more versatile by being better sutied to shitty and choppier waves too ??? Awesome looking boards and he is a really good shaper and makes quality boards thats for sure, but just my opinion because I have ran similar ideas thru my head ( and discussed with Fong and others )...its a bit like some guys that want a quad shorty and they tell me they want it to go like their current thruster ???? I just scratch my head and wonder why ...I think its much better to start with a clear idea of how you want the board to perform ..and then design it around that .... Although I have designed boards totally around 1 fin.....basically great looking boards but are channells suited to a small wave design like this ??? I dont think so... but they probably go great in right conditions...starting to ramble so going now....

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 am

On the same wave length as you Mark with the channels. Although maybe they represent some more grip in an otherwise looser configuration.

Too late for mine :idea: where’s the router :idea: :D

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:21 pm

ric_vidal wrote:On the same wave length as you Mark with the channels. Although maybe they represent some more grip in an otherwise looser configuration.

Too late for mine :idea: where’s the router :idea: :D
yeah maybe ???? sometimes in design people adjust 1 thing to change a certain aspect of the performance but then adjust another thing to compensate for the previous change ???????????? maybe for the image of the end result more than the actual performance benefit ( or difference ), maybe just get bit lost with what the board is really meant go like and what they are trying to achieve ???? keen to discuss a joint project Ric, if you might be interested...???

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:00 pm

pridmore wrote:keen to discuss a joint project Ric, if you might be interested...???
What, drugs? :D

Be afraid Mark, very afraid. You know when I go off on a tangent anything can happen... remember the stealth inspired bat-head?

Yes I’m keen just should be doing other things... you still thinking swap? If so, best to wait for me to strike first otherwise you could be waiting a lifetime. :roll: :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:24 pm

Well whatever I was thinking it was going to be is now obsolete...

A quad it is, based on Bruce McKees’ extensive list of directions, now, do I have 4 fins to do the job? :shock:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Finito...

cactus
Grommet

Post by cactus » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:22 pm

[Nice work!

Is that the Solution fin system ?
I'm considering giving them a go on my next board, and are keeen to hear feedback.

So whattayareckon,,?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:02 pm

cactus wrote:[Nice work!

Is that the Solution fin system ?
I'm considering giving them a go on my next board, and are keeen to hear feedback.

So whattayareckon,,?
Nah, they’re Speeedfins’ multiplug system... adaptable for FCS or Speeedfins.

Hasn’t got wet yet, am considering right nowwwww

Bugger this curing thing. :wink:

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Hasn’t got wet yet, am considering right nowwwww...
go now while it's small ... I couldn't bare hearing about another snappage incident .... :wink: