Just needs a leash plug

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Beerfan

Just needs a leash plug

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Im almost finished my latest, a 6'5'' diamond tail single fin. 14'' nose x 20.5 ( halfway ) x 15'' tail x 3''. After a stuff up with the hotcoat ( i forgot the surfacing agent D'OH!! ), it took a while to get the bottom flat. Not the greatest sanding job, but it'll do. Here's a pic. You can see its been raining here by the water running down the bottom.

[/img]Image

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:12 pm

Good one Beerbum!

Time consuming spray job by the look of things... just wait to you see how hot the black gets :shock:

Any side biters going in? Go on, you know you want to. Single fins pfft :D

Beerfan

single fin

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:25 pm

Im not sure yet ric. I do have a set of fin solutions, but im just hanging to surf it. I started this almost a year ago. If i find it needs more bite etc, i'll put some side boxes in. Hope to surf it next weekend. Will update.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:38 pm

I would add the side fins too, I think with the side bites and a small centre fin it would go better than just the single, but you would have the option then at least ??? should have sprayed it like the brick wall in the background..... A whole year ???? you are a fan of beer.... good on you for doing it yourself mate...hope it goes well for ya

Beerfan

single fin

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Mark, i like your brick wall spray job idea, might steal that one!. Yeah, two young kids mean i dont get a lot of shed time haha.

Cheers

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:55 pm

hey mate....so thats the nearly finished product eh 8)

u don't work real fast :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

love the spray and the plainshape

but mostly i think the diamond tail orginal and fuctional

i wonder if it feels bit like a pin and a square :?

both which great single fin tails :idea:

don't go the sidebites....u won't need training wheels :wink:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:45 pm

C'mon Fong, you went the training wheels after I conned you into them, but have you tried the board with them and a smaller centre fin ??? You should give it a go.....might be good, might be not for you but should give it a crack mate, think that board would love the Bah', have you surfed there yet ???? down the line , lots of kegs....Couple pics of it on my site, at bottom of pics page.....www.moresurfboards.com

Beerfan

single fin

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Took it out the other day. First beach was south facing, and the sets were 4-5 hollow, and sandy, well, the ones that didn't close out. So, i left them to my mates, and went around the corner. Chest high, gutless wind chop. Paddled alright, catching waves was ok. Didn't get a lot of speed out of it, but hey, it was pretty gutless. Once on my feet i couldn't seem to get it going. Im used to getting on my front foot ( i ride a twin keel mostly ), but that didn't really help me. Getting on the back foot, the 15'' tail bogged down. So no real ride reports yet. I had to put a patch over the leash plug, as it looked a bit cracked around the edges. Just need to sand it a bit, and try again. Although i dont know if i'll get out this weekend, sounds like some bigguns a comin.

And yeah, there will be side plugs added soon.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:31 pm

should chase down some good waves and get a solid sesh on it to feel it out...lookin forward to hearing how it goes and how you adjust after a long time on the fish..lots of crew having probs adjusting back after extended period on fish boards, especially forward foiled twin keels....