Here we go again...

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

have I lost it?

you never HAD it!
25%
keep tryin’
75%

Total votes: 4

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Here we go again...

Post by ric_vidal » Mon May 12, 2008 12:51 pm

Just bee-cause, that’s why. Let’s just say I have an overactive imagination when I should be sleeping. As an aside, saw a thing on bee parasites last night :shock: keep away from my board suckers!

OK, hex holes don’t go all the way through, well not yet, bee-cause I think I stuffed up again :oops: never mind it will be skinned anyway.

Idea was to leave a solid skin on the deck, at the moment I’ve got 15mm to play with so I might hit the outer perimeter holes with the deck roll. Or I could be a little creative...

Parabolic channels now have carbon and glass rovings and nose is reinforced with uni carbon pushed a ways into the groove for extra rigidity/strength.

Full board shot is pre-bending in some rocker. What a bloody nightmare. Material - extruded polystyrene, pretty tough, NOT blue (get rooted Turfin and rQ)

Rail channels finish before front fins will be positioned so, theoretically at least, there will be more flex through the tail third.

Now just got to think about bottom and deck skin materials. Decisions decisions... need some more foam thickness for my thickness. :D

munch
Harry the Hat

Re: Here we go again...

Post by munch » Mon May 12, 2008 6:41 pm

:roll:

:lol:
ric_vidal wrote:Parabolic channels now have carbon and glass rovings
Now that's a great idea :arrow: where'd ya get that one from :twisted:

p.s I've got no idea where your going with the rest of it, all i know is I want some of what your on :lol: :shock:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon May 12, 2008 7:19 pm

wow
not sure if it will work, but i love this creative thinking stuff

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon May 12, 2008 7:43 pm

cool stuff ric. is that the deck or the bottom? how easy is it going to be shaping curves thu that honeycomb?

my gutt reaction is that foam doesn't weigh much .....

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon May 12, 2008 10:40 pm

love your work
wats the reasoning behind the shape of the frocked up holes in the bottom u board :lol: :idea:

i would went rounder...and with a lip...say not all the depth for deffernt holes :?

also...u focusing on the part board that handles most water :idea:

THE TAIL :?

ALSO...the patterns cute :lol: but consider a spiral design :idea:

ric i love it...keep it i want ride one just like it :wink:

p.s theres a guy up here on a homemade finless board...his a naturalfooter...but amazingly surfs ok

he can make the sections no else can @ nationals ( i love that wave out all them...got everything u want...take off go fast u can long u can, no frocking around...just speeeeeeedddddd...wat more could u want :idea: :wink: ) i'll try and hit him up for some info...once his seen me around abit

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Here we go again...

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 am

munch wrote::roll:

ric_vidal wrote:Parabolic channels now have carbon and glass rovings
Now that's a great idea :arrow: where'd ya get that one from :twisted:

p.s I've got no idea where your going with the rest of it, all i know is I want some of what your on :lol: :shock:
I’ve got no idea where I am going with it either. :D Just another project.

D, parabolic and/or glass/carbon roving reinforcing has been around a long time. Someone used to do it along the stringer years ago. Brett Munro did heaps of mals with carbon channels closer to the rail.

RichQ has done a few stringer-less with parabolic rovings recently and was talking to him Saturday about an approach to get the farker bent into shape.

It’s all bee-n done before, ’cept maybe the honeycomb in this guise, but think even that has bee-n done in hollow boards years and years ago (70s). Knicknack would probably know.
Last edited by ric_vidal on Tue May 13, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 13, 2008 8:43 am

wanto wrote:cool stuff ric. is that the deck or the bottom? how easy is it going to be shaping curves thu that honeycomb?

my gutt reaction is that foam doesn't weigh much .....
The holes are in the bottom and they will be covered, deck has about 15mm left for me to play with.

The foam has a tough skin but once you break that it shapes OK, still harder material than PU. Shaping over the holes is OK as long as I don’t use the Surform.

The foam WAS heavier than I thought, but elected to try it over the blue stuff I tried before. Ain’t too heavy now at just over 1.5kg and it a 6'10 x wide (shut up Munch), more foam to come off and go on though.

Skins will be 5mm (pink :wink:) R80 Divinycell.

Ha, and you guys thought the blue was pretty. :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 13, 2008 9:09 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:wats the reasoning behind the shape of the frocked up holes in the bottom u board :lol: :idea:
Shape? See below. Generally though just to reduce weight add flex.
mustkillmulloway wrote:i would went rounder...and with a lip...say not all the depth for deffernt holes :?
20/20 hindsight Fongy, friends own a CNC machine and it was sort of done on the spur of the moment after some alcohol consumption. Been thinking about the idea for a while and I drew the design for them to use and where I thought it was safe for the pattern to fall. Didn’t want to compromise the strength in the nose and the tail has fins to be installed etc, back foot placement, blah, blah, so didn’t want to go there.

Was thinking about getting a jig made and just routing the holes myself to varying depths but I would probably still be going if doing it by hand.

Nothing much stronger than a honeycomb hex pattern I believe but Munch and Marcus would be more knowledgeable.
mustkillmulloway wrote:also...u focusing on the part board that handles most water :idea:
Got to think foil, Fong.
mustkillmulloway wrote:THE TAIL :?
What about it? :x I lurve round tails.
mustkillmulloway wrote:ALSO...the patterns cute :lol: but consider a spiral design :idea:
Do anything you can think of, which direction would the spiral go though, one way for goofys the other for naturals? Howzabout concentric circles? :D Don’t get me started, I haven’t finished this one yet. Nah, trying to avoid anything remotely like a line going across a board for obvious reasons. Length-wise I believe sky is the limit, no shortage of ideas.
mustkillmulloway wrote:ric i love it...keep it i want ride one just like it :wink:
Careful what you wish for MKM.

Biggest problem with all this is it is like having an OCD, once I start I just want to finish it. :shock: :D

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:p.s theres a guy up here on a homemade finless board...his a naturalfooter...but amazingly surfs ok

he can make the sections no else can @ nationals ( i love that wave out all them...got everything u want...take off go fast u can long u can, no frocking around...just speeeeeeedddddd...wat more could u want :idea: :wink: ) i'll try and hit him up for some info...once his seen me around abit
sounds like derek hynd on the road perhaps?

rightbrainpositive
Local

Post by rightbrainpositive » Tue May 13, 2008 10:07 am

Love your work Ric. It wouldn't hurt to have more creative minds like yours in the surfing world.
mustkillmulloway wrote:
p.s theres a guy up here on a homemade finless board...his a naturalfooter...but amazingly surfs ok

Fong was he riding an Alaia? There are quite a few guys that surf those Tom Wegener creations...

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed May 14, 2008 6:39 pm

rightbrainpositive wrote:
Fong was he riding an Alaia? There are quite a few guys that surf those Tom Wegener creations...
yes seen them out granite abit...they seem go all right :!:

in a seriouslyretro type way

nothis was more a normal looking fish design...with some sort channels and no fins :idea:

i doubt it hynd cause this guy had hair...and surf proper....not a million stupid spinners each turn :lol:

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Fri May 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Are you going to put anything in the holes or keep them empty ? Maybe you could fill them with something to give added floatation, therefore next time you could go thinner to get a more responsive board but still have the floatation??? I glassed a board years ago with ping pong balls inserted randomly, attempting to create a super light board, also had foam filled fins, and carbon fibres in the cloth but it didnt end up much lighter than standard pu board (probably due to my inexperienced glassing and sanding at the time ) but what I was thinking when I saw the holes is put some ping pong balls in holes ( maybe inject helium into the balls to give you super floatation ????? and maybe an explosion too ??? no scientist but it just seems a shame not to put something in the holes ( same line I use at home ha ha )

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun May 18, 2008 1:01 pm

pridmore wrote:no scientist but it just seems a shame not to put something in the holes ( same line I use at home ha ha )

What could be lighter than nothing? Nothing :!:

Holes stay empty, but to be covered by 5mm divinycell as is the deck.

Given the other composite has just broken (non-holy version :wink:) I might not spare the glass on this one as it will be fairly thin for the length. May also channel in some more rovings or something on the deck side. See how the shape looks first.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun May 18, 2008 1:30 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
pridmore wrote:no scientist but it just seems a shame not to put something in the holes ( same line I use at home ha ha )

What could be lighter than nothing? Nothing :!:

Holes stay empty, but to be covered by 5mm divinycell as is the deck.

Given the other composite has just broken (non-holy version :wink:) I might not spare the glass on this one as it will be fairly thin for the length. May also channel in some more rovings or something on the deck side. See how the shape looks first.
I know air weighs nothing but there may be other things that have better floatation properties and therefore improve paddle power..must be worth considering especially for a man of your persistence to innovate and experiment with left field construction methods and use of non-mainstream materials....

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun May 18, 2008 4:41 pm

pridmore wrote:I know air weighs nothing but there may be other things that have better floatation properties....
Not sure that it is warranted Mark, anyway too late now :D just stuck the d-cell on the bottom, unless it slides off in the night. :wink: Reason I say that is relative to the XPS foam and the first blue project ~ 7' board and only 2" thick and floats and paddles well enough, albeit a totally different planshape.

The other thing that has got me thinking now, and this is based more on this project, is whether a board should be heavier on the bottom than the deck? Now I realise it is probably incremental, but something in my head is pinging away. Kind of like the flex and the fact that Bert (Sunova) favours balsa on the bottom.

Eewww, just had a thought :idea: and another one... stay tuned.

bojanglez
regular

Post by bojanglez » Thu May 29, 2008 10:18 am

How's the board coming along RV? Any updates? keen as to see & hear how it turned out for you. :D

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu May 29, 2008 11:29 am

bojanglez wrote:How's the board coming along RV? Any updates? keen as to see & hear how it turned out for you. :D
Only slowly boz, was away last weekend with a couple of mugs from the forum, actually surfing :shock:

Will update when there is something worthwhile.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu May 29, 2008 10:04 pm

ricky....have u gave any thought too making some the holes all the way thu :idea:

kinda like realese points from the bottoms surface tension

and there could b obvivous advandages on a steep drop near nose dive :!:

sorry me tired...just thinkin in that worn out semi delerious state big shifts leave u in :wink: