Variables for a shit glass job

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

Jimi
Local

Variables for a shit glass job

Post by Jimi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:20 pm

Im wondering what variables there are in the glassing of a board that can cause the board to ding or snap easier.

My board seems quite brittle, dents that have broken through the glass have occurred 3 times in my last 3 surfs.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:08 pm

Brittle glass jobs are usually from hot mixes - too much hardener in the resin. Sort of sounds like what your describing

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:39 am

Probably a few variables Jimi, Mad mentioned a good one, oversanding will make them pretty thin and ‘egg-shell’ the skin too but it shouldn’t be that.

I’ve seen guys encounter massive variations in the resin gel times despite buying the same formula from their suppliers. Why? Who knows.

Also variations in foam density, while not related to the glass job will lead to a board that certainly dents more easily. Surblanks foam is stiffer than Dion you can argue which will break first.

UV-curing resin is meant to be stronger and stiffer than normal resin but that can be seen as beneficial. I think quite a few of the mainstream manufacturers are using that now. I use it for laminates but not normally fillers and haven’t witnessed the problems you are encountering.

Edit: I should add Jimi that UV-curing resin is literally the same resin as normal, just the method of catalisation is different and it brings about a different result.