A shaping challenge

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

pridmore
Owl status

Re: A shaping challenge

Post by pridmore » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 am

hope you are gunna try and surf it ( stand up I mean ) also......Dane has been ridng 3ft somethings of late I hear, not compaing anyone to him but why not give it a go ??? 8)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Stand up, are you kidding?? haha i'll be underwater before i get to my knees mate.

It should'nt be too loose with the keels on it, and i reckon a 10'' finbox might help too. Might be a good idea to start with a big arse single fin and see how it goes from there. Bit of an experiment i guess. I just put a spray job on it, think i'll start a new thread for it though.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:34 am

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Looking good there Mark. Very creative!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:08 pm

http://thealleyfishfry.blogspot.com/

some pics of cains fish on here...and some other cool stuff.......worth a look if ya like some diff fish shapes.... 8)

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 10:23 am

Ive been out of action for a while now with this shaping bug, but have got a surf trip overseas coming up late next year so am getting in more pratice now. Am hoping to end up with a 6'8 semi gun to take with me as well as my quad. :D
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 am

Cain has just finished his bord today and I will post some pics soon, it came up really good....
glad to hear you are gunna do yourself another shape Digger...I still have the shield and thought we should get together soon, everyone can bring what they've done, finished or not, just to chat and hopefully share a few waves and if the waves arent on, maybe a beer or 2 ??? Maybe queens bday long weekend ??? dunno if it suits anyone, dunno if it suits me yet but thought we should try and do something, especially after we got this cool shield to hand out to somebody....was thinking we can meet at Marooch like last time and we can easily go north or south depending on conditions ???

Hows Fongs shape looking, any glassing done yet ???

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 am

pridmore wrote:Cain has just finished his bord today and I will post some pics soon, it came up really good....
glad to hear you are gunna do yourself another shape Digger...I still have the shield and thought we should get together soon, everyone can bring what they've done, finished or not, just to chat and hopefully share a few waves and if the waves arent on, maybe a beer or 2 ??? Maybe queens bday long weekend ??? dunno if it suits anyone, dunno if it suits me yet but thought we should try and do something, especially after we got this cool shield to hand out to somebody....was thinking we can meet at Marooch like last time and we can easily go north or south depending on conditions ???

Hows Fongs shape looking, any glassing done yet ???
Im not gonna glass mine mate, Im just gonna keep cutting it down and praticing how to shape. Not sure where fongs up to on his and cant wait to try it Mark. On the queens long weekend I have a Work Conferance on and just cant make it :oops: But if enough people can just hold it as its time to get people back together agian and see what everyone has done. Take heaps of photos and give out the sheild. I will glass a shape before my trip overseas but will get help with that. Im still amping about shaping but time factor due to work, surf, family ect make it hard sometimes. Im starting to feel like getting on a fitness bug as well and am gonna start riding a bike to build up leg strength, gotta get some leg strength for were I aim to be going.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 pm

here is Cain putting his final touches to the artwork on his 5'1" stringerless fish...first surf will be tomorrow or sat....I will post some better and more pics later.....

He wanted to take it home and finish it off near the pool table so he got it right, should go well for him and perhaps the oldboy can have a paddle too, nearly enough foam for me I reckon..... :roll:

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Ahh, cain, what a cool idea, great job mate

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:49 am

its finished and been surfed...only got a handful of waves because it was a bit big and heavy for him so from the waves he has ridden his words were " its fast and loose, maybe too loose but dunno coz I havent really done a turn yet " .... hahaha. will be intereting to see how it goes for him when we get some suitable waves with some shape as well as to see what fins he settles on...I am not offering any help with the fins, letting him learn by himself, he actually already has a pretty fair idea.....
few quiver shots here as well...he has done some shaping on all of these ( except the single which is a reshape done by my Dad in the early 70s when he was shaping for Cowleys ), he did most of the little fishy quad, just a bit of the QF with green and black but did nearly all of the recent 5'1" stringerless, I basically oversaw and gave tips on what should be done, he did all the artwork himself on all of of them...next time he will do the lot with no help from Dad, should be interesting, he is doing extremely well for 11 yrs old imo....( thats the proud Dad there...sorry :roll: ).

any plans to get together soon and have a look at the shapes done and maybe some waves on them ??? 8)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Thats great Mark, what a little champ! He's even getting some pride in his photo pose with his quiver! :)

Hes a very talented little kid, I reckon hes got what it takes to go for in something that he chooses :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:43 pm

G'Day all,

As you know I've been away in PNG working and have just returned this week. Shaping a new 5'10 quad to take back with me, a few picks attached. Also a few pics of the waves we've been getting over there.

Mark, I hear you're in town this weekend, hope to catch up when you see Trev. Cains art ork is amazing. You should (and no doubt are) be very proud.

Digger, you gunna get fit...does that mean giving up the ***!

Mick
Attachments
012 (2).jpg
5'10
009 (4).jpg

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Forgot the surf pics!

It's in PNG, can't tell you where!
Attachments
015.jpg
014 (2).jpg
013.jpg

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:41 pm

ledge71 wrote:G'Day all,

As you know I've been away in PNG working and have just returned this week. Shaping a new 5'10 quad to take back with me, a few picks attached. Also a few pics of the waves we've been getting over there.

Mick
Note Mick's special shaping/ planing tool, "ST 101), hanging just to the right of the first pic. :lol:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:51 pm

I should give em up one day mick, it would be the best thing to do, but the bloody shame is that I really enjoy em. Im eyeing of my blank again and looking to cut it down real soon. Starting to get that twitch that I gotta do something on it agian, dont care if I really stuff it in cutting it down as will just buy another blank and start agian.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:59 pm

this sunday Im gonna cut I channel into the bottom of my blank, dont care if I stuff it, just wanna do something with my hands and keep me busy. Got to move some foam from the nose and blend it back a little, need to get a nose plane to finish on the string up near the nose as well.

The board has lots of little dints in it, dont really care anymore, just going to glass it as I want to ride it to see how the rails perform and where I can try to improve it on. I expect the glass will lift because of all the dents all over the blank but that doesnt matter as this is just a board made to learn on the basics.

If anyone has done a vent bottom before please add the best way to do it. It doesnt matter if i dont get it right because the main thing Im concentrating on is doing something I enjoy instead of mopping in my bedroom and not getting out of the house.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:17 pm

dent bottom meaning single, double, single into double, single into reverse vee, reverse vee into double... and soforth... ;) ?

I always end up with double concaves because they are p*ss easy to do and the closest I am ever likely to get to channels myself. Tried a single-double in the last board (rail quad) I did and thought I had nailed it... but after I glassed and sanded it the concave disappeared and bugger me if the stringer didn't still end up the same height as the rails :oops: .