Dimple Bottoms ???

Discuss shaping and repairing techniques here.

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Dimple Bottoms ???

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 pm

pridmore wrote:something I probably would have done more of except they were not easy to sell after I was finished with them and when you need to sell one to afford the materials for the next then these things come into play and you have to sacrifice creativity for consideration of resaleability unfortunately ( did that make sense ??? )
Certainly does... this’ll work for me or I’ll probably have to find someone to give it to. Got a victim, I mean person, in mind. :wink:

pridmore wrote:might be something in that, not sure, maybe with epoxy would have been good coz the carbon works better with epoxy ( or so I have been told, RV will tell me otherwise ), great to see some creativity back on the forums, it was a little dull for a while... 8)
Anything works better with epoxy, if you can get it to remain flat after you leave it. :x

There is a carbon reinforced (full cloth weave, not stranded stuff from way back) tail patched in the style Shane was/is(?) doing with the Spyder boards and a couple of ‘add some carbon’ tail repairs have been requested of Rich Q of late. Bit of a waste of time without epoxy if you ask me. One that is in for another repair compresses almost as much as the rest of the board, point being it will still compress under the cloth so will it go with it and sink or eventually de-laminate.

Also an EPS core DVS carbon skinned board in, skin is firm as but it has really badly de-laminated under the guys back foot and torn about 90mm along the tail rail edge. God knows how. It could however be a board that is reasonably old, don’t know.

Did a big deck insert for one of my own years ago (poly) and it still compressed. Another compsand type thing I did more recently had that uniaxial carbon tape inside using epoxy, the board broke but the carbon strip remained intact. Tried to break it by folding it over and couldn’t, no way the same would happen with poly and normal glass.

The asymm is epoxy FGI ‘Surfset’ laminates and poly filler (normal (pre) and solar (cap) - there’s another story). :twisted:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Given the title of this thread and the photo seeking skills of some of our finer forum members, I can't believe this hasn't been inundated with cellulited gluteus maximi!

Here's a couple of mr greens for ya, just in case you run out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 pm

oldman wrote:Given the title of this thread and the photo seeking skills of some of our finer forum members, I can't believe this hasn't been inundated with cellulited gluteus maximi!

Here's a couple of mr greens for ya, just in case you run out. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my thoughts exactly, thought RV, Ringmaster or SurfinTurf would have saw the opportunity and posted fat asssessss all over the place.... :roll:

planning on doing a dimple bottom soon , just unsure of how to put the dimples in, anyone got a tenniss ball covered in 120 grit ???? 8)

swift
regular

Post by swift » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Liam McNamarra used to ride them. I remember a surf flick in the early 90's (might have been a Gorilla Grip movie) had heaps of footage of him busting huge airs on the things??

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:53 pm

yep, Garret and Liam rode for Willis bros and they rode 'Phazer Bottoms' and the dimples were coloured in green mostly...Liam was reknown for his hopping Fletcher style airs and featured heavily in that Gorilla Grip video..... 8)

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:19 pm

Talk to Ralph Riddell at Retro Groove in Coolangatta....He shped the point Break stuff afew years back......& yes they are a nightmare to glass & sand :roll: ....Idid some of them :evil:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:50 pm

RichQ wrote:Talk to Ralph Riddell at Retro Groove in Coolangatta....He shped the point Break stuff afew years back......& yes they are a nightmare to glass & sand :roll: ....Idid some of them :evil:
small world richQ. 6 degrees!

The point break guy's boards look like bloody good work, BTW.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Jack Knight shaped one for me in the 80s when he was on the central coast, can't remember it being outstanding nor do I remember it being a dog either. I did like his boards . Then he moved!
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Why you doing deck channels? I have them on my Stretch boards. Who is shaping boards with deck channels?[/quote]

Just for reinforcement, Bohds - think corrugated roofing. I mean theoretically without a stringer the board will wash off any pressure over the entire length of the board as opposed to concentrating at the weakest point of a strung one. Least that’s what I have read.

Funnily enough just creased a board with internal carbon reinforcement only, but it happened just at the point on the deck where a 3/4 glass skirt finished, despite the fact it was a curved cut. Concentration of energy at a weaker spot me thinks.

Stringer-less blanks are like a noodle and obviously lighter and more flexi even when glassed. Had this shaped without the channels then thought in the wee hours it might not be a bad idea for insurance. The channels are ‘Stretch’ inspired, the shape Tiger inspired as mentioned in the ‘what is alternative ???’ thread.

Has been an interesting exercise and hope the ride matches.
asymm.jpg
[/quote]

Hey Ric, very aware of why Stretch put the deck channels in, but he also makes them with big fat stingers too. The boards I have that he made are works of art, they tell me that the deck channels are put in by hand, but they are so perfect I find that hard to believe. Must be a template, jig set up. Just too perfect to be rubbed in by hand. They seem a lot deeper than yours to and closer to the rail. I have one that has the deck channels but also wooden parabolic rails. Not out on the rail like a Firewire but just back running through the deck channels. No wonder those boards are industructable.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:06 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:Must be a template, jig set up. Just too perfect to be rubbed in by hand. They seem a lot deeper than yours to and closer to the rail. I have one that has the deck channels but also wooden parabolic rails. Not out on the rail like a Firewire but just back running through the deck channels. No wonder those boards are industructable.
It’s actually not that hard to keep them tidy, sanding a lumpy filler through them is more of a chore but even that is just about methodology. Lots of hand sanding.

I didn’t go too deep as I was starting to bite into the masking tape and thought it would have the same effect. Put them where I did for no particular reason and the convenience of using the same board template as a guide.

I would have thought though the way the ‘Stretch’ boards end their channels was perhaps asking for trouble at that point, hence why I continued mine and did a nose channel that has some rovings laid in under the laminates.

FYI, according to Rich Q who did a stint working in Cali, the process did not originate with Stretch.

Rode it yesterday for the first time. Inconclusive with the waves I got, but it did all the normal stuff easily enough. Oh and I only went left, of course!

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote:Must be a template, jig set up. Just too perfect to be rubbed in by hand. They seem a lot deeper than yours to and closer to the rail. I have one that has the deck channels but also wooden parabolic rails. Not out on the rail like a Firewire but just back running through the deck channels. No wonder those boards are industructable.
It’s actually not that hard to keep them tidy, sanding a lumpy filler through them is more of a chore but even that is just about methodology. Lots of hand sanding.

I didn’t go too deep as I was starting to bite into the masking tape and thought it would have the same effect. Put them where I did for no particular reason and the convenience of using the same board template as a guide.

I would have thought though the way the ‘Stretch’ boards end their channels was perhaps asking for trouble at that point, hence why I continued mine and did a nose channel that has some rovings laid in under the laminates.

FYI, according to Rich Q who did a stint working in Cali, the process did not originate with Stretch.

Rode it yesterday for the first time. Inconclusive with the waves I got, but it did all the normal stuff easily enough. Oh and I only went left, of course!
Hmmm dont know who originated them. I hear 2 stories, the one Stretch tells in which he said he was asked by his team member Rat Boy to do them , then all his other riders asked for them. Dont think he is saying he started it, I think Cole did but I could be wrong. Would be happy to post some pics of one of my boards to give you an idea where he puts them if you like. I think they make a major difference to how strong those boards are but as he doesnt carry them all the way to the tail the tail has more flex and drive. Genius I say.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 pm

I did a copy of a board in 94 and it had the same deck flutes and it wasnt a Stretch, not sure who shaped it ... 8)

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:05 pm

A bloke named Egg Robinson, who used to glass for Barry Taylor wayyyy...back in the day, made Wave Creations boards out the back of his house at Werri. He was doing rail channels, just like those. Used a short section of one of those cylindrical surforms, grooved it out about 10mm deep. Ran some rovings in it and then glassed it. Musta been at least 15yrs ago

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:17 pm

that could be it...

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:47 pm

When I was was a kid either Mike Davis, John Skipp or Greg Clough did the dimple thing. Tried it myself once but as soon as i handed it to a glasser he looked at me , Paused, And then said "You serious?. This will way cost you double!" But I reckon the concept is gold, It must have more chop dispertion than a conventional bottom board. Good luck if you go ahead. (Hope you have an understanding glasser), Cause I don't know anyone who has gone there for a long time. Maybe check Swaylocks.

M

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Tiger,

Were they the guy's who ended up with the Crooked River logo?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:31 am

Nah don't think so eMp. Think Crooked River was just Clubby, and ceased to be when he got disinterested with it all.

And Skid, I doubt the board you're referring to was a Wave Creation. As it was a pretty small sth coast NSW brand, only really ridden by locals. Woulda been a few other people doing similar things.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:41 am

perhaps not but that name rang a bell...