this saturday for waves.....

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

brendo
barnacle

this saturday for waves.....

Post by brendo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:29 pm

well boys, this saturday is lookin the best chance for waves in the next week. a nice long fetch through the pacific, with a low ridging against it on friday, then poss n/nw winds saturday for syd and south, bring it on.....one thing....

if you live south of the mid north coast, it will be decreasing in size. sydney aint gunna see to much size. but if you are on the north coast or further north :D happy days, though the winds more variable, prob se.

but hey, i could be wrong about the whole thing. what do ya reckon thermalben?? alot still hinging on what the low in wa does. as usual the prognosis will be crap by friday.....lol

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:24 pm

Sun is looking better than Sat in my opinion, as we'll have better winds and we'll also be approaching the peak of the swell cycle (solid sets out of the E/NE too around 4-5ft). Mon should offer excellent waves all day inside southern corners, but open beaches may only have a small window of clean conditions ahead of a gusty change.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:29 pm

ben there is a simple way to do this... when and where? :twisted:

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Sure dammit.. anywhere that likes an E/NE swell and a NW wind. On Sunday.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 pm

this will be better than the lame south swell

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:11 am

i still reckon saturday will be nw winds.....and sunday for the southerly change....but i may be wrong....

the fetch is looking better for swell in sydney now for sat/sun, but i think it will be all gone by monday morning

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:32 am

There's a chance for a brief period of early NW winds on Sat, but it'll be gusty N/NE thru' NE for much of the day. It is highly unlikely that the S'ly change will arrive on Sunday (in Sydney), although it may push through the Far South very late in the day.

Regarding the peak of of the swell - the fetch in the Northern Tasman is actually modeled to still be quite active by Sunday, which suggests we'll see swell in Sydney all the way through Monday at least (a peak is still expected early Monday morning). I'd be surprised if this swell noticeably diminished across the Sydney region before Tuesday, by which time we'll have an additional S/SE swell in the water too.

bonka
Grommet

Bandirt

Post by bonka » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:33 am

Well said Wanton, Bredo appears to be a bandit for stealing the ideas of others.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:34 am

That is a classic summer swell generating set-up that they are forecasting at the moment. I'll accept Ben's word that it will stay till Monday and maybe a little beyond. Fetch is over a fairly large area so there is hope it will provide a few days of fun before it disappears.

Should be just right for holidays on Monday up the coast.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:35 am

^^^^
really bonkas? after your ridiculous claim that the cyclone off wa would track accross and give us a ne swell, i replied telling you what i thought would happen. ie it would drift south, and the ne swell would come from the high, most directed at the north coast. this was last sunday, long before swellnets forecast or any mention of swell.

and what is happenning with the charts bonkas? its a case of sour grapes...

wanto, wtf you callin me a fool, pull your foot outa ya mouth....

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:53 am

haha fire up

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:01 am

i only started this thread to offer my thoughts on the upcoming swell, after it started to show something on the charts early on the weekend.
i dont proclaim to be a forecaster, but i do have a go, something of which ALOT of surfers have no idea about.

is that your photo wanto? a roid boy with a pin dick....lol :D

bonka
Grommet

Flat

Post by bonka » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 am

Brendan,

My call was that we might get an increase in swell (from the NE) around the 9th based on a low off the coast of WA. You seem to think that this is ridiculous...

We have been stuck in a cycle of no swell for a bit now. I don't want to fight over sour grapes - All I ask is that you keep a close eye on the virtual boys so that hopefully we can all get some waves next week :wink: :D

bonka
Grommet

what did you see?

Post by bonka » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 am

Brendo you tickle me - what was it you saw :shock: on the charts last weekend that made you think there might be waves coming?

I pity the fool...

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:34 am

Nth Coast lookin' good, sydney not so good.

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:36 am

^^^^

agreed. the waves have been shit. tensions are high.... :(

but dont acuse me of rippin off someone elses forecast, when i simply had a dig at my own. .. :)

you said the ne swell would be sourced from that cyclone, when its not. i only raised that issue after you decided i am simply rewritng a swellnet forecast.

your low will give us a south swell early next week, as can be seen on synoptic charts and virtual buoys, but you dont need me tell you what swellnet said last night.... :lol:

at the end of the day, its looks like a good week of waves ahead, so lets all hope everyone gets a few