This upcomming weekend:

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

macca202
Harry the Hat

This upcomming weekend:

Post by macca202 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:11 pm

nothing to see here

if you would like a surf forcast, look at the bottom of the realsurf page and hopefully the goat has one.
Last edited by macca202 on Thu May 26, 2005 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

birubi

Post by birubi » Wed May 25, 2005 6:28 pm

yep sunday is lookin the goods

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Wed May 25, 2005 6:38 pm

Swell seems like its gonna grow quite quickly on saturday. Im sure there will be some unexperianced people out there earlier on, and then suddenly they will get stuck out in the big stuff. been there, i even considered paddling from south steyne to shelly beach :lol:

i wonder how many people will be paddling out to winki before dawn on sunday morning :roll:

Kashy
regular

Post by Kashy » Wed May 25, 2005 6:59 pm

i know i will :P
HaVe A Nice DaY ... ;)

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed May 25, 2005 7:40 pm

Macca, I know you have the best of intentions, and although you have stated your source for that info, you're breaking copyright law by posting that image here.

Why? Swellnet is (after 5 years of negative income) now starting to derive an income from advertisers. By placing this information on other websites, you reduce the need for people to log onto Swellnet. This reduces our webtraffic, and ultimately the "attractiveness" of Swellnet to potential advertisers. I would appreciate it if you could remove the image and post a link to the website instead.

cheers, Ben

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu May 26, 2005 3:45 pm

Copyright issues asisde, how crazy is the tasman going to get this weeknd.
Looks like this low is going to descend in to the sub 980's while having a 1028 high ridge up against it.
This is about the biggest pressure gradient I have ever seen in the Tasman. Ben has already suggest 70 knots which is best decribed as cyclonic!! This is not a good time to be on any sort of ship an any part of the tasman. Possible the deepest low and strongest winds that I can remember for this part of the tasman.
Fiji is goin to be epic for the globe contest, but I am stoked that we all get something.
This is going to be very interesting swell.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Thu May 26, 2005 4:33 pm

i agree imagine if it was NE or not dead south

shish
regular

Post by shish » Thu May 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Thermalben,

Another way of looking at it, is you just got free advertising for your site !!
I actually went in and looked in it for the first time after that posting
yeehaa!

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu May 26, 2005 5:05 pm

shish wrote:Thermalben,

Another way of looking at it, is you just got free advertising for your site !!
I actually went in and looked in it for the first time after that posting
i know thats the way i saw it. i mean there are a lot of people who are only aware of realsurf and maybe one other surf website. I know i only found out about swelnet from someone on here.

which is why i got shitty and said what i did in my edited post. (i.e not mentioning swelnet)

off topic, im 90% sure thats me in the 11am DY photo, stoked :lol:
very fat surf, great for a mal but it was breaking quite far out at times and very inconsistent. Im a lidder, hence the flipper which let me work it out. And my sufer mate must be one of the guys next to me.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu May 26, 2005 5:37 pm

wow, tasmania sure does look like its gonna be nuts!

i wonder if any there will be many people doing tow ins, im not at all familliar with tazzie, but they do have that red bull tow in contest there, so there are good spots somewhere obviously, but damm the water must be cold!

is there any surf reports for tasmainia so i can check them out, just out of interest cos i wanna see some pics!

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Thu May 26, 2005 5:47 pm

Kashy wrote:i know i will :P
well good luck, i think you'll be the only person out there.
Ka ChInG !!!!!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu May 26, 2005 5:49 pm

Macca & Shish,

I see what your saying, but where do I draw the line? If someone decides to copy my forecast once a week and place it on their website, is that OK? What about if they do it every day? At what point does it become OK to copy someone else's work on another website?

Unfortunately, I have been down this path before - there have been numerous instances in the last few years where people have cut n' paste my forecasts and then put them on another website without any attribution at all.

If you look at my disclaimer, you'll notice that it says "No part of these forecasts may be reproduced .... without the express written permission of the copyright holder". No-one contacted me about putting up a screen grab on someone else's website. If I didn't log into Realsurf, would I have ever known that this had happened?

I normally let small copies of the text forecasts slide, but this was pretty blatant - you did a screen grab, re-arranged the graph and the forecast box, then uploaded it to a remote server. Sorry if I came across a little blunt, but I'm just protecting my IP.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu May 26, 2005 7:10 pm

thermalben wrote:Macca & Shish,

I see what your saying, but where do I draw the line? If someone decides to copy my forecast once a week and place it on their website, is that OK? What about if they do it every day? At what point does it become OK to copy someone else's work on another website?

Unfortunately, I have been down this path before - there have been numerous instances in the last few years where people have cut n' paste my forecasts and then put them on another website without any attribution at all.

If you look at my disclaimer, you'll notice that it says "No part of these forecasts may be reproduced .... without the express written permission of the copyright holder". No-one contacted me about putting up a screen grab on someone else's website. If I didn't log into Realsurf, would I have ever known that this had happened?

I normally let small copies of the text forecasts slide, but this was pretty blatant - you did a screen grab, re-arranged the graph and the forecast box, then uploaded it to a remote server. Sorry if I came across a little blunt, but I'm just protecting my IP.
well you can see what we're saying, but it seems like you obviously don't agree with what we're saying. You have the right to have those views, as it is true that it is swelnets material. Its also my right to say that you are being unreasonable, and that you don't see a little bit of free advertising when its in front of you.
This was the first time i have done that, and i havn't seen anyone else in this section doing it, so there was no need to draw a line.
A simple please don't do that again would have been fine, no harm done.

Do you really think a few instances of this thing would effect swelnets traffic? all it does it increase awareness of the website, as i mentioned the source. I mean if shish's post didn't make you see it any clearer, i don't think you will even after my post.

btw can you make sure my chuppa chupp story wins the holiday ? :wink:

Curly_Cat
Grommet

Post by Curly_Cat » Thu May 26, 2005 7:21 pm

imagine all the people getting ready for solid shipsterns!!!!! Lucky c*nts
Curly Rules

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Thu May 26, 2005 7:29 pm

that would be pretty big i read fiji gonna get 15ft for the contest. I wonder if anyone gonna go to NZ for this or TAS, TAS looks better

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu May 26, 2005 7:37 pm

Tassie will be massive and out of control. It's the biggest swell I've seen in a long time.. but the winds will be ferocious to boot in that part of the world (especially at exposed locations). There are however a few spots that need massive swells and can handle these winds.. they're likely to be on.

Wouldn't mind checking out a whole bunch of locations this weekend, From Vic to Tassie to NSW to NZ. Even Qld should do OK out of these swells. And then there's the South Pacific.. wow!

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Thu May 26, 2005 7:39 pm

hey thermalben its not even winter how do these storms become so big. How often do these storms come?

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Thu May 26, 2005 7:51 pm