The big NE swell this weekend

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, Forum Moderators

alexisanchez
charger

Re: The big NE swell this weekend

Post by alexisanchez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:22 pm

Came over Freshwater to this Sunday morning. A couple of hectic hours with just two of us out
image.jpg
(43.3 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Back for some banana pancakes and a drive over to look at DI around the low. Gave it a miss and came back to a crowded lineup in the arvo. About 8 out. Fcuk it was good as far as the eye could see
image.jpg
(48.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Some really thick square ones and solid on the sets. Just trying to survive and jag one was it for me. Out the back was ok but getting there was intense. Only made a few in the arvo but they were keepers. Me trying to scrape over one
Attachments
image.jpg
(57.53 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:25 pm

Just been watching some of today's replays of the cape solander comp. never seen such hidings, such slabs, ever. Perhaps it's the northerly swell making it even more mutant. Some of the waves were Backwash 12 footers that were almost entirely all lip. Fk that nonsense.
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:I think I had kebab and DOOGH every day. Fresh DOOGH is heavenly
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

alexisanchez
charger

Post by alexisanchez » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:00 pm

steve shearer wrote:couple reasons, but primarily I thought it would be a bog standard storm swell for longer than it was and that storminess would destroy the sand banks.

as it turned out, the storm moved off quickly enough and cleaned up quickly enough that we got classic big surf instead of a stormy mess.

I still think there will be a hangover from the event, but for now it's as good as it gets.
Fair enough, I thought though they were predicting SW change sat arvo and fine Sun for up here even on Thursday?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:25 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Just been watching some of today's replays of the cape solander comp. never seen such hidings, such slabs, ever. Perhaps it's the northerly swell making it even more mutant. Some of the waves were Backwash 12 footers that were almost entirely all lip. Fk that nonsense.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... waves.html

there is Ch 9 video about half way down the page, check out the wave at about 0.19...

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:52 pm

I like how most news outlets are calling it Cape Solander and not ours.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:27 pm

I call it theirs. They can have it
The Mighty Sunbird wrote:I think I had kebab and DOOGH every day. Fresh DOOGH is heavenly

Wyre
barnacle

Post by Wyre » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:06 pm

They surely can! Fcuk that.

Yeah hatchy, I was watching with my boy where you were- definitely the best option today around that area, although my local started firing later on.

Hoping to snag something tomorrow morning.

Reckon it will drop a bit? Asking for a friend.
godsavethequeen wrote:I wonder if reg is still thrashing the neighbour's elderly poodle with his wattle branch.

Wubic Pig
barnacle

Post by Wubic Pig » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:59 am

steve shearer wrote:I thought I'd lost my soul when I got out there, I couldn't breathe properly, I had no strength in my limbs. The current was dragging you deeper into the peak, the takeoff on the back button was really challenging and technical, no easy entry.
Got a big wide one to start and got caught behind, big long hold down, few on the head.
I saw that :shock: - from the safety of the headland - that was the exact moment I decided to leave my board in the car.

Huge effort Steve - the fact that there were only ever a dozen or so blokes out at any time gives you an idea of what it was like.
Drailed wrote:just carry on being an offensive cock on the internet.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 am

Yes. Steve. Killing it man. Top effort. Love hearing stuff like that .

And to put yesterday's still shots into perspective here's some footage

https://sendvid.com/2efhspjs

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:14 am

So Hatchman, looking at that vid it looks like you could take off further out more easily and cruise through the section that those guys are missing, what's the deal?

Drailed
Duke Status

Post by Drailed » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:51 am

Avalon yesterday... Wonder if this is Andy

Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:59 am

shaunmorrison wrote:So Hatchman, looking at that vid it looks like you could take off further out more easily and cruise through the section that those guys are missing, what's the deal?
From what I could make out, the few punters out there at that moment early on were mostly boogers. They were deliberately hanging inside further to take advantage of the barrel section.

saltman
Harry the Hat

Post by saltman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:11 am

Today is pretty darn good as well.
Still a challenge on the open beaches but have some great looking outside peaks filed away for the next few days

Surfed a semi point that had a few wash throughs keeping the crowd down. But with consistent A frame peaks, a great left back towards the rocks, as well as a smaller soupy rebound peak running off the cliff through occassionally to an inside bank
Fun
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

saltman
Harry the Hat

Post by saltman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:14 am

Drailed wrote:Avalon yesterday... Wonder if this is Andy

Ha north av car park would have been going off!
I can hear a few of the leg ends -
oh if only I hadn,t left my 8ft brewer in Bali,
Mate I am gonna wait till it starts to barrel
crabmeat thompson wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:40 pm
we need more doctors advocating anal sex!

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Post by Grooter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Drailed wrote:Avalon yesterday... Wonder if this is Andy

shit!!
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Post by Grooter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Yes. Steve. Killing it man. Top effort. Love hearing stuff like that .

Fark why are they letting them go???
smnmntll wrote:my "inner city apartment" is about 3 minutes' walk from the beach
Meanwhile planes drop from the sky, people disappear and bullets fly. Little grey men are coming our way, "Tastes just like chicken", they say :o

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Grooter wrote:
Hatchnam wrote:Yes. Steve. Killing it man. Top effort. Love hearing stuff like that .

Fark why are they letting them go???
Hard to get into . The stiff cross offshore and north east swell direction, and sheer volume of water moving made things harder than usual. Plus, as mentioned the crew in the footage were mostly boogs looking for late bowl take off into the tube.

Even the core local stand ups out there weren't able to scratch into every wave they paddled for. If you were out there'd you'd soon see what's up. Put it that way ;)

Grooter
Snowy McAllister

Post by Grooter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:21 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Even the core local stand ups out there weren't able to scratch into every wave they paddled for. If you were out there'd you'd soon see what's up. Put it that way ;)
Yeah fair point mate :)