No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

regular

Re: No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

Post by 8 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:46 pm

Back down to 3mm... I was about to gather 2 of every animal.

MrMik
regular

Re: No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.

Post by MrMik » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:10 pm

steve shearer wrote:no jet-skis allowed at the Point, not easy to get a tinnie out the boat channel when it's ten foot.
How about something like an IRB with outboard motor and surfboard rack, would that be legal and would it be safe-ish?

Like this, plus a good motor or two: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/redfern/ ... 1057423906

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:41 am

Probably less dangerous to just paddle out.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:16 am

I've been gorging myself stupid. Morning offshores, was still 4ft at a secret little beach/ headland y'day. Went down there and cherry picked some waves while a mate was shooting some pros going cray-cray. then scored some of the cleanest, punchiest 2ft barrels this morning. was the first one out and had it to myself for nearly an hour before it got ran over by the school holiday crew.

... been ocean paddling every arvy on the glass offs. Caught about a million waves 'til it was an hour past dark last night on the racing sup. couldn't lift the fork to my mouth last night to eat dinner.

autumn might have just redeemed herself this last fortnight.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:11 am

No big waves off this one Tonks.

But a cascading series of S swells ahead. Get your specs in and log some hours at the Point.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:56 am

punchy little ones this morning.

still picking sand out of all my holes an hour later.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:15 pm

You chaps still calling solid 8-10ft swell from this Tasman Low? EC has it as a real coast hugger. Me thinks you might actually get more swell from the current large high/trough (long fetch) in the Tasman as we speak, rather than the low itself.

http://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/chart ... and%20mslp

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Nah, it's a lemon but I'm happy because the glorious autumn banks we had copped a raping from that last S swell so as long as this event isn't too severe they'll be on the rehab program.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 pm

Hmmmm Byron buoy is showing some surprising S'ly swell.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:53 am

Looks solid this morning. The buoy data that is.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 am

ooh yeah, 11 plus metres was the last reading off the Sydney region one last night Steve. It then went awol.
Just like a couple of errant naval ones i had to retrieve after they'd bobbed and drifted off their position round gillian's island on the particularly high tide and rather fresh southerly. They both ended up just west of Pinchgut, north bound at a blistering pace despite their chain and mooring block, and in the way of what few ferries were left.
Dragging them back across in 30-40knot southerly effectively anchoring one side of a pesky and unwieldy 7.5 m single screw with a pissweak 250hp inboard diesel was a comedy to behold. But no one, really, no one would have been watching. 2 hours later i had them both lashed, one each side and safely back in the compound.

May '74 revisit? Or too soon to call.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:37 am

you're a man amongst .......

Sounds heavy Skip, love your work.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:14 pm

what was it like inside the harbour skip? any of the spook spots breaking? was grotto point working?

would love to have finished up early today. would have been good to have seen the chaos off bare island bombie and around botany bay NP.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:16 pm

I like the look of this weather map: http://www.met.gov.fj/aifs_prods/0990.jpg

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:27 pm

30 guys out at Neilson Park they said on the radio this arvo.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:07 am

Hatchnam wrote:what was it like inside the harbour skip? any of the spook spots breaking? was grotto point working?

would love to have finished up early today. would have been good to have seen the chaos off bare island bombie and around botany bay NP.
like one of those above ground clarke pools with a heap of fat kids doing bombs. I'm out again tomorrow night, might sneak a look on dusk but with so much wind it's just a hideous cauldron. A tempest.
i did pick up a kayak, my second one within a year, which got washed up into the compound from where i work. I'll post an ad to see if someone's missing it. Otherwise...a paddle here and there or onto gumtree.
Beanpole wrote:30 guys out at Neilson Park they said on the radio this arvo.
i was thinking of heading over on low tide, heard the same report beanie. maybe tomoz. i'm just keen to try out my new f bomb.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:28 am

Hatchnam wrote:what was it like inside the harbour skip? any of the spook spots breaking? was grotto point working?

Balmoral point and shorey were breaking. Dobroyd head. Fairlight lefts all breaking as well as a few out the opera house.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:00 am

The mysteries of weather.
Seems like the term ECL isn't quiet right for the current system as it was under more influence from a high centred between Adelaide & Melbourne.
Looking at yesterdays map on bom the center of the low was 1008, the isobars weren't that close & the centre wasn't small although I guess the easterly feed had a fairly long fetch [I didn't check any other maps] the system doesn't have an intense look to it until the predicted reform over sw vic.
The trailing high to the sw had a centre of 1030.
I assume coastal damage would have been worse if the pressure had have been lower as it would have resulted in a higher sea level.