East Swell on the way

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:33 pm

Not expecting anything significant in Syd until late Wed at the earliest - calculations put the bulk of the groundswell in Syd Thurs arvo/Fri (there'll be some local and refracted swell preceding this though).

Innerview - I'd discount any major 'cyclonic' activity in the Coral Sea for the time being (gotta be careful with that word too.. even if it's factually correct, it may be interpreted as a 'cyclone', which sends most Qld surfers gaga instantaneously) - as Bastardos mentioned, a strengthening ridge is much more likely, but either way it's all good news for those north of Yamba.

Innerview
regular

Post by Innerview » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:34 pm

Ok not cyclonic, but three large swirling swell productions units in an area East of Australia and North of NewZealand.

Looks good either way.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:34 pm

Wind is going to be the issue with this swell. It looks like a low is going to slide down the east coast over the week, meaning that at some stage everybody is going to cop howling onshores and a bit of rain. Unfortunately Sydney looks like copping the onshores at the same time the swell peaks on Friday. The best hope is that Wed Thurs the winds are more N as the swell builds and we might get some Ok waves in Northern corners.

Jessep
Local

Post by Jessep » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:52 pm

whats the outlook for tomorrow is it worth going for the early i know its meant to build during the day

Innerview
regular

Post by Innerview » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:04 pm

Synoptic Situation: A tropical low with a central pressure of 998 hPa is located
about 95 km east north-east of Townsville and is expected to move
south-eastwards be located about 150 km north-east of Mackay late Tuesday
morning.

The low may intensify may over the next 24 to 36 hours. Wind gusts to 90 km/hr
may develop in coastal areas between Bowen and Mackay including the Whitsunday
Group today and tonight then extend southwards to St Lawrence on Tuesday.
Heavy rain may develop again on the coast south to St Lawrence.

Innerview - I'd discount any major 'cyclonic' activity in the Coral Sea for the time being (gotta be careful with that word too.. even if it's factually correct,

Its looking more like that.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:17 pm

Innerview, my comments were in reponse to what you wrote on Thursday:
Innerview wrote:Now there looks like three cyclonic depressions in the coral sea. Surely a period of 14 seconds at 3 - 4 mtrs for much of the east coast.
Now thats my stab at it. Tell me otherwise, Ben ?
On Thursday (when that was written), there were no 'cyclonic depressions' in the Coral Sea; certainly not three. We're now five days down the track - a long time in weather forecasting - and we still don't have a 'cyclonic depression' in the Coral Sea - it's just a low at the moment. It may develop further over the coming days, but there is a large amount of uncertainty as to its exact movement.

Jessep
Local

Post by Jessep » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:36 pm

wanto wrote:could be a fun little peak around .. nothing of real consequence tho
well i hope its good cause im goin neway

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:07 am

The weekend and early next week is looking good for better winds after the low passes and continuing smaller but consistent ENE swell for Sydney. It remains to be seen how nasty this low gets as it tracks down the coast. Think howling E-NE winds and heavy rains as it approaches and offshore SW as it moves further south. The EC is showing a tight little low tracking down the East coast and hitting Sydney around Friday and clearing for the weeknd. The BoM and GFS are something similar but not quite as intense. At least it wont be flat!!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:27 am

Had some Ok sets out the Bower on the low tide yesterday but thats probably the best this swell had to offer Sydney so far. The wind was crap at dawn this morning but it doesnt look like this low coming down the coast will do anything apart from slide out to the tasman and push the swell a bit more to the N. Its goint to be all about keeping an eye on the wind and making the most of the swell the moment the wind is favorable.

birubi

Post by birubi » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:41 am

wanto the main part of the swell isnt here yet and was never predicted to be here on thursday

birubi

Post by birubi » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:31 pm

yeah i doubt it will be 8ft.so how is the WAM chart comparison going??Have they changed heaps or ben cosinstent.i look at the WAM everyday but dont save them so i cant remember if they change heaps

i dont know what sites you use but i found this site today and it seems pretty sweet

http://www.surfersvillage.com/australasiaeast/

birubi

Post by birubi » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:45 pm

what media player do i need to play the vids on your site wanto

birubi

Post by birubi » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:53 am

i could watch a few of them the big ulus was alright.
there should be plenty of swell but there will probably be dodgy wind aswell im just hopeing for a SW'er tomoro morning.sunday is looking like been the biggest day and if the wind is light i could be good.