Winter, How's it looking

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Winter, How's it looking

Post by Donweather » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Yes, and my mate lands in the Ments this Saturday....just as the 19-20 sec swell arrives!!!! :shock: :shock:

Needless to say, he's shitting himself as we speak!!!

But one would think that there would have to be bays/reefs up there that are so protected that you coould find a place that only ever breaks once in a blue moon when these monstrous period swells push in there.

I've told him to try and find the 10ft Rhino chaser this week to take nonetheless!!! :wink: :wink:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:28 am

Well if these current charts are what Spring is going to be like, bring it on I say!!! The forecasts from Friday right through until Sunday/Monday are looking pretty damn good if you ask me.

Oh, and did someone say a long period E'ly groundswell with NW winds!!!! :D

Looks like winter returns next week :(

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:28 am

Hadn't looked at the charts for a week or so DonW, but when I looked last night I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned that east swell coming your way.

Could be nice.

For you,

but not for me.

It's a beautiful world.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 pm

oldman wrote:Hadn't looked at the charts for a week or so DonW, but when I looked last night I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned that east swell coming your way.
Olds, I mentioned it in another thread (where did you surf) a week or so ago, but I didn't want to go on about it too much and hoodoo the models. It looks like a fairly done deal now, so it's nice to see.....only problem is I won't be able to savour it this weekend as I'm going away.

Might have to be stuck with leftovers come Monday morning. :(

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:52 pm

Gee, the long range charts are looking quite "summery"!!!

Has Ledge gone back to the island? :D :D

Trev, looks like your local could well be on early-mid next week (and beyond).....might have to join ya!!!

surferliam

Post by surferliam » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:38 am

Liking this new up and coming swell on the way for us in SEQLD just would be a lot better if winds were a bit more favorable, going to be another points only affair?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Yep and the masses will flock to Noosa and the Superwank.

Not too mention all the good banks of late will now be trashed come this time next week!!!

Give me what I scored this morning any day over the junky, chunky poo we're about to be served up next week!!!

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:30 am

Gee, and here I was about to start a thread about Spring, and the long range models are now indicating one last hurrah of winter!!!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 am

Easily been the best winter in my part of the world in recent memory, at least for a weekend warrior and occasional mid-week surfer like myself
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Yeah I've heard great things from the eastern side of Melbourne, but I reckon if you asked the guys on the Surf Coast how they would rate their winter, the answer would be pretty poor.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:50 am

SAsurfa wrote:Yeah I've heard great things from the eastern side of Melbourne, but I reckon if you asked the guys on the Surf Coast how they would rate their winter, the answer would be pretty poor.
Heh! Well it's about time we could claim to have had a better winter, hopefully spring and summer will offer the same goods.

Some of the swells were huge this winter, it still blows my mind when I think about when the Pines was macking with a near 3 metre swell. I got smashed in the shore dump that day too. Unbelievable.

I have a theory that the bigger swells have caused a lot more beach erosion this year, especially on the Bass Strait stretch and it has improved the sand banks considerably as a result. I'd go as far to say I haven't seen it this good in about 10 years as they are and not closing out as much.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love