Winter, How's it looking

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

surferliam

Winter, How's it looking

Post by surferliam » Mon May 30, 2011 2:15 pm

With Winter approaching thought I'd start up a thread for the season.

First weekend of Winter is looking pretty good for some fun waves around SE QLD, hopefully this could be a sign of what is to come over the Winter months :) lets hope

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: Winter, How's it looking

Post by Donweather » Tue May 31, 2011 1:09 pm

Yep, it's certainly looking like a sustained period of fun swell on the cards (and damn nice looking winds) for us SE Qlders coming up!!! :D :D :D :D

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:27 pm

Winter - 6 days old. 5 out of 6 days pretty much pumping with the other day (today) more then serviceable.

Some serious possibilities brewing for later this week and early next week.

Best start to winter ever. :mrgreen:

If Carroll was here he would be telling me to shut up.

nyah nyah.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

surferliam

Post by surferliam » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:50 pm

Possible new swell on the way for next weekend and beyond for us SEQLDers? still a long way out but something to possibly look forward to.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:07 pm

surferliam wrote:Possible new swell on the way for next weekend and beyond for us SEQLDers? still a long way out but something to possibly look forward to.
Are you talking short range local windswell crap or something else further out on the horizon?

If the long range EC charts come off we may see some E/SE groundswell sneak over the top of that sheep shaggin isle late next week (arriving in SE Qld late next weekend) but to be honest, I'm not holding my breath for it as in the past, these lows out to the NE of NZ have generally not deepened until they sneak behind the swell shadow of NZ.....just like GFS is currently forecasting at the end of it's 180hr runs!!!

But, without that, we've got feck all to hang our hats on....unless you like surfing locally generated, weak windswell (with onshore winds to boot).

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:28 am

Finally, GFS is now on board with the other models. Good news is, swell forecast is on the up. Bad news is, it's just fecked my open beaches session this weekend (with winds looking unfavourable). Crowds will be horredously thick on the points given our long flat spell!!! :(

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:48 am

Hey Don, what's your call for next week in Sydney? We talking good size but SE winds? I'm taking two weeks off and every time I take holidays it's either perfect conditions and no swell, or E/SE winds and swell up the yahzoo.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:08 pm

AJ, I'd have to say, you're looking pretty damn fecking good at the moment. If that low stalls off the top of NZ as currently progged by most models, then you could have some damn fine looking E'ly groundswell (peaking at 4-5ft+ towards the middle of next week) with potentially some good looking offshore winds, tending more SW/S into the middle of next week!!!

Note it won't take much change in the forecast for that low/fetch to fall behind the swell shadow of NZ so fingers crossed it doesn't move southward from the latest forecast.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Sounds good - if it holds!

Thanks, Don.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:58 pm

School holidays AJ?

I'm off next week up to the Central Coast for most of it.

Could be real nice there Monday, maybe Tuesday. Westerly winds could even be quite mild if it pans out.

And then something darker and rising from the depths later in the week maybe.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Actually, Olds, I'm taking advantage of both kids being in full-time childcare for these couple of months and gonna just enjoy two weeks off to myself. Do a bit of stuff around the house, have a coffee, surf as much as possible. My biggest fear is that the surf'll be crap for the whole two weeks - it's happened before?

If you're in Sydney for any of your hols, perhaps a surf at the Bra?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:38 pm

ajohnsen wrote:My biggest fear is that the surf'll be crap for the whole two weeks
It's still looking pretty damn good from what I'm seeing, both in terms of local winds and a damn fun looking E'ly groundswell. Winds could be a wee bit strong (although offshore) mind you, so I hope you've got a board that can handle a stiff offshore on the take offs!!!

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:44 pm

Now Don, don't get my hopes up too high. I'm a fragile man.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:31 am

Ajohnsen,

Looks like the week will start off slow but from Wednesday onwards you'll see plenty of surf.

I think Don's overcooked the swell from the east. At this stage I wouldn't be expecting much over a very inconsistent 2ft to maybe 3ft on Wednesday (def not near 4-5ft sorry Don).

In any case there will be stronger levels of S'ly swell building on Wednesday, probably to 4-5ft at south facing beaches (may see some 6ft sets during the arvo), with Thursday and Friday holding around the same size.

So yeah looking good for a week off!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:34 am

what ? Don overcook an E swell?

Wash your mouth out Craig.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:23 am

Ha ha....bring it on boys!!!

I agree the arrival timing of the peak of this E'ly groundswell has been pushed back to Wednesday now.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 am

Don and SAsurfa, can you do anything about the school holidays?

And Steve, hate to mix my threads, but I'll be squeezing in as much 'oceanic energy' as possible, but I promise to appreciate the beauty of the rifle range at Maroubra while I do.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm

SAsurfa wrote:At this stage I wouldn't be expecting much over a very inconsistent 2ft to maybe 3ft on Wednesday
So does that mean that you guys aren't leaning towards the latest GFS forecast coming to fruition?