Cape Sorell Buoy - I don't get it

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Grooter
Duke Status

Cape Sorell Buoy - I don't get it

Post by Grooter » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:28 pm

If the Cape Sorell buoy is currently showing maximum wave heights above 5 metres, and significant wave heights of over 3 metres, right now, then why is Sunday swell forecast for Victoria supposed to be so small (1 foot or less)?

Is it because there is so much West in it that is going to drift right by and not up into Bass Strait?
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

SAsurfa
barnacle

Re: Cape Sorell Buoy - I don't get it

Post by SAsurfa » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:29 pm

Hatchman,

All that size is from the W/NW.

A small low produced a fetch of W/NW gales right off the West Coast of Tassie on Firday and this caused the buoy rise in size, but the Surf Coast remained tiny and the Mornington Peninsula picked up 3-4ft waves.

You can see the wind observations at Cape Sorrell here..
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDT60801 ... 4974.shtml

A small swell today has come in a foot or so bigger than I expected but.

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Cape Sorell Buoy - I don't get it

Post by Grooter » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 am

Cheers mate, thanks for explaining that one for me
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love