Spring. How's it lookin?

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Spring. How's it lookin?

Post by alakaboo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:03 pm

di99er, you got your G back!

Cheers DonW. I suspected as much!
hopefully it'll be getting round enough for some shelter from the wind.
I'll take a few boards over to cover a range of options, and to counter the sweep. and make me less attractive to noahs...

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:13 pm

alakaboo wrote:di99er, you got your G back!

Cheers DonW. I suspected as much!
hopefully it'll be getting round enough for some shelter from the wind.
I'll take a few boards over to cover a range of options, and to counter the sweep. and make me less attractive to noahs...

:oops: not yet, Im posting from work :lol:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Latest Weekly Tropical Note discussing MJO.

Strong MJO in Australian region
In the last few days, we have observed the rapid intensification of an active Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) in the Maritime Continent region, where warm SSTs are assisting the process.

The latest analysis suggests that the current MJO event is the strongest observed in the Maritime Continent since February 1985. This event is already contributing to a significant increase in rainfall across northern Australia, and is expected to continue for some days yet.

Guidance surveyed by the Bureau suggests the MJO will continue to move east, out of Australian longitudes over the next two weeks. Models then predict the MJO event to weaken in the western Pacific. History shows that at this time of year, north Australian rainfall typically remains above average, even when the MJO moves into the western Pacific.

There is increased potential for Tropical Cyclogenesis in the Bay of Bengal and South China Sea over the next week or two, as the northern hemisphere monsoon continues to migrate southwards. The risk of TC formation in the Australian region is still considered low, as it is still very early in the season for tropical cyclone development in this region.

Longer term, based on the standard movement of the MJO, we would be looking towards the second half of November for the next burst of active weather to return to Australian longitudes.

Let's see what pans out in the next two weeks, and even more so in the second half of November, when she'll be starting to prime the warmer SSTs up north.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 pm

I see the long range EC is progging the first TC of the Southern Hemi spring/summer. Not likely to effect any surf on the east coast of Oz mind you, but certainly nice to see models painting the picture this early in the season.

Personally I think it's still too early in the season, even with a La Nina.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:28 am

Some solid waves over the weekend, particularly Saturday.

Best Spring ever!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'm struggling to remember a Spring that could come close to this one.

My local was pretty close to all time this weekend, particularly on Saturday on the low tide as the swell hit. Still throwing up lots of barrels this right now too. Lucky the surf reporters only got to see the crappy conditions first thing in the morning at high-tide and wrote it off 8)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Models are certainly sniffing around at some tropical activity on either side (and including over) of the continent in about 7-9 days time.

Watch this space I'd say!!!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:34 pm

keep ya nose to the ground :mrgreen:

if your lookin at wat i'm looking at

it's got a huge speculation wriiten all over it :?
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:37 pm

p.s what u think about the 15 cyclone forecast for qld thats anna getting her face in the paper over

i know several resorts now with canceled booking off the claim ( great work anna...tourisn qld loves this shit coming onto there peak period :roll: )

do u view it as irresponsiable scare mongraling :?:

if the satated cyclones don't come and bussiness has suffered in lieu the b/s forecasts

can u see legal action being taken against said forecasters :shock:

i know a lot pissed off people in hospitality between here and cairns...talking up the cyclone threat is going send them to the wall...they needed a big xmas crowd :cry:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2008/s2455379.htm
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:12 pm

The success of the mining industry, and consequently the high Australian dollar, is probably the real reason that people have been cancelling their bookings, I would imagine. :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:04 pm

Looking damn good in the long range forecast!!

http://www.surfphotos.com.au/on-the-horizon

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:26 pm

Any joy for us around Sydney way Don?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:29 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Any joy for us around Sydney way Don?
Well, and just like that GFS has wound back the intensity of the fetch in the Coral Sea/Tropical South Pacific this weekend and pushed the low/high combo well out of our great swell circle south east of NZ.......cnut!!!

Anyway, in answer to your question Jimmy, based on the crappy 00z GFS run, Sydney should see a better pulse of I'd say 2-3ft E/NE swell early-mid next week.

EC's still showing the goods mind you, so there's still some hope left in these bones for something a little larger!!! :)

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:41 pm

First tropical cyclone in the southern hemi this season has been born and she's showing some nice signs of convection out in the Tropical Indian Ocean too!!!

http://en.allmetsat.com/images/met5_cimss_irc.php

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:53 pm

oh thats nice news don, very very nice.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Even better news Digger is that we should have swell for at least the next 5-6 days, with even Fong's local point seeing some action come early-mid next week!!

Speaking of locals, anyone know what Trev's doing? He's been rather quiet on here for some time now??

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:41 pm

For those weekend warriors in SE Qld here tis my thoughts.

http://www.surfphotos.com.au/weekend-su ... r-30th31st

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Donweather wrote:Even better news Digger is that we should have swell for at least the next 5-6 days, with even Fong's local point seeing some action come early-mid next week!!

??

8) ....but what about that other coastline :?:

p.s trevs travelin....lucky bugger :D

p.s love ya weekend roundups....short and accurate...no b/s padding out the word count

love the photos on that site too... 8)