tide times...yes i'm havin a bitch...again

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

tide times...yes i'm havin a bitch...again

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue May 18, 2010 8:26 pm

First light5:56amLast light5:32pmDew point12.7°Relative humidity84%feels like15.4°Rainfall since 9am0.0mmHigh Tide11:41PMLow Tide06:30Am

STOLEN FROM A WELL KNOWN SURF FORECAST SITE used by near all us

giving tides for today 18/5

high tide @ 11.41 pm :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

WTF

like i know tewantin boat ramp is maybe up to a hour behind the rivermouth....but given @ 6 pm the tide was PISSING OUT :!:

I''M fairly condfident SAY.....wrong....again :x

but hey...throw up a computer model with coloured graphics and argue the opposite.....computers models are never wrong...are they :roll:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Re: tide times...yes i'm havin a bitch...again

Post by Donweather » Tue May 18, 2010 9:35 pm

I'm just a little confused fong?

TIDES AT MOOLOOLABA
High Tide: 1.9m on Tue at 11.41pm and 1.2m on Wed at 12.02pm
Low Tide: 0.5m on Wed at 06.30am and 0.5m on Wed at 05.50pm

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue May 18, 2010 10:27 pm

your confused don :wink: ...pity the poor fisherfong :lol:

look the tides are sooooo far out in the predictions they forecast for the year

that once or twice a year they actually go full opposite :idea:

p.s and just so we all know where in it together :arrow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXMBhGtVEY

how goods that first tube :mrgreen:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 am

Fong, our tides are for the open ocean locations, and correct for Noosa (if you're surfing that is).

I'm not sure on the specifics but Tewantin is likely to experience local effects where the phases and timings are different. Also, keep in mind that the tide time predictions are based on lunar/solar influences. There are a number of of other factors which can influence the tidal flow greatly (atmospheric pressure, wind, heavy rainfall).

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed May 19, 2010 10:13 am

Go the BEARS!
Last edited by munch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed May 19, 2010 10:22 am

Go the BEARS!
Last edited by munch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

:roll: ....lambchops....it's a fact qld is at least TEN years behind :lol:

ok....ben makes a fair argument or at least explanation

but i'm still not happy :lol: tide times are fooked up

lets do the sceintific thing and conduct a experment :idea:

i'll go down the mouth...say 11pm....throw a slightly weighted pilchard out under a float ( all in the name science i remind yas :P ) and report back the exact time the tide changes :idea:

and which way :arrow: :shock:

tides are critical a surfer....and i believe they are near always wrong as predicted...but tonight well see once for all one way another 8)

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 pm

fong, did you have adequate ventilation when you were fixing your dings? :?

2 secs on google got me to here:
http://tides.willyweather.com.au/qld/su ... antin.html
which says:
"...tide times have been adjusted 109 minutes for low tide, and 67 minutes for high tide to the official tide times for Noosa Head"

so, clearly there's a lag up at tewantin, and clearly something affects the run in and run out differently. which is what ben was saying. could be because the canal estates and the lake affect the different tidal directions in complex ways.

and you experiment won't prove sh!t, because the river mouth will be much closer to the ocean tides.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu May 20, 2010 12:40 am

alakaboo wrote:
and you experiment won't prove sh!t, because the river mouth will be much closer to the ocean tides.

well...it kinda proved wat ben said was right....and it got tea for tommorrow nite... :wink:

so not wasted :wink:

i'm stunned at the differnce in tide a mere few miles can make :shock:

and...i'm thinkin it's caused they changed the rivermouth and put noosa woods in as a buffer to noosa sound :?

either way....this bit info is very important

cause it must effect how and where fish are on the chew in the rest the river system :idea:

not that i would care...MUCH :lol:

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Fri May 21, 2010 12:21 am

ok....so i know no one cares :(

but it's doing my head in....just fish tewantin same time as last night.....and the tides pissing out :shock:

like...WTF

maybe u have be here.....but i can't get my head around a full incoming tide at the rivermouth and a fully out going one less than 5 k up the river as the tinny flies :wink: @ the same time :?

i'm so confusssed

p.s all fish must die :x

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 am

fong, the same happens at swansea bridge.
while poppering for kingfish, waiting for the all important slack of the tide, put my tackle box down on the rocks and started casting.
the water was pissing out for 3 hours past when my tide-watch said was low tide, water ripping through...
tide almost up to my tackle box, but still ripping out.

the slack water actually happened 3 hours after low.

talked to a bloke at work that dives under the bridge,

turns out the water at the top from the lake rushes out, the tide moves the other direction underneath it.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri May 21, 2010 9:40 am

okay fong, i'll have a crack, so your head doesn't explode. :D
don't have the answer, but i have some ideas.

first, there is a tidal lag at tewantin, as i posted before. there is something called the 'rule of twelfths' which explains the tidal force at different times in the cycle. you can find it on wikipedia, but basically it says that most of the tidal flow occurs in the middle third of the tidal cycle and it is slow for the last 1hr.
This means that the different times of tide change (over an hour, or nearly 2), can make a big difference to the speed of flow at different locations.
second, the tides at tewantin are smaller than they are at the mouth, so this will amplify the difference in flow speeds.

also, you are looking at the top of the water column, particularly if you're using a float. this could be doing different things to what is going on a few metres below. so the top could be running out, while the bulk of the water is still or running in. again, the timing and force of flow is important.
this is particularly true where you have freshwater sitting over the top of the salt. for noosa this is a big factor, because of the very large catchment to the north and runoff from the lakes. a small amount of rain will have a big impact.
at tewantin what you're seeing could be dominated by the runoff of lake cooroibah/cootharaba. lakes/lagoons also reduce the tidal effect, if they are large they can even have their own 'micro-tides', which could be on a different time again.
it's also possible that you are in an eddy or backflow. i used to do a lot of river kayaking, and you'd often find spots where the currents on different sides of the river were flowing just as fast but in the opposite directions. if you're fishing anywhere near that island, this is highly possible.

noosa would have had complicated tides already due to the lakes etc, but the canal estates and training of the river mouth would have stuffed around with the tidal prism and flows no end.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Fong.
Have a look at the tide times on Seven Local News.
You'll see there's a massive delay (2+ hours??) between the tides at Maroochydore, versus those at the Cod Hole (pretty much under the motorway bridge over the river.) Whic is only a coupl eof klms upstream from the beach.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.