Ului

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Re: Ului

Post by diggerdickson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:24 pm

TrevG wrote:
steve shearer wrote:Probably 6-8ft Pot will be the only time you will get it uncrowded.

Actually there's a few places up that way that should be pumping.

But whinging about Noosa crowds is pretty weird......last time I chased a swell there I swore it would be the last.
Fong, do you want a surfing buddy for one of those spots a bit further north which you know about? 8)

Im with you trev, Ive got thursday off and Im keen to find some surf indeed I am. Hopefully fong aint working but I doubt it, reckon he will be pulling a double shift again
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:55 pm

steve shearer wrote:Hang on a cotton picking minute.

The Noosa Points can easily handle a Cat2/3 cyclone tracking within a few hundred kays of the coast(or even closer).

Have u forgotten Hamish already?
Roger?
Dinah? etc etc.

Way too early to be saying it is unsurfable......Noosa only really fires under these condys.
Double/triple OH Boiling Pot is unreal.
(as are other locations in that neck of the woods).

I'm thinking of making the trip.
Steve, haven't forgot Hamish at all. But Ului (based on current GFS forecast tracks) is packing weight above Hamish. Not so much in cyclone intensity, but more so in terms of longevity and cradling of the Tasman high. This sets up a pretty damn impressive NE fetch on the SE flank of Ului and due to it's current slow tracking forecast, the duration of the storm force winds over the compact fetch is forecast to generate 7m NE swells with periods in the 13-15sec range.

Archives show Hamish didn't quite have the slow moving nature and in fact he died out of puff as he rounded Fraser Island big time, and with the high to it's south not quite cradling it as much he created a 4.5-5m E/SE swell with periods of around 10-11 seconds.

Swell direction plays a big part with these closely formed storm swells and hence a larger NE swell will be imparting alot more energy into Noosa points when compared with a smaller, lower period E/SE direction swell.

A 7m@13-14 second NE swell will most certainly be larger than 6-8ft POT, and my point was not so much that this wont be surfable....but damn good luck to anyone trying to paddle out from the shore/rocks with that swell size, period and direction at Noosa.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:58 pm

TrevG wrote:Fong, do you want a surfing buddy for one of those spots a bit further north which you know about? 8)
I'd be extremely interested to find out how one intends to get up to that spot. Driving along the beach will be impossible with a large high tide, massive storm surge, oh and not to mention 7m swells!!!

Helicopter anyone?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Donweather wrote:
TrevG wrote:Fong, do you want a surfing buddy for one of those spots a bit further north which you know about? 8)
I'd be extremely interested to find out how one intends to get up to that spot. Driving along the beach will be impossible with a large high tide, massive storm surge, oh and not to mention 7m swells!!!

Helicopter anyone?
Don't think we're talking about the same spot, Don.
Not a beach drive. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:23 pm

TrevG wrote:
Donweather wrote:

Helicopter anyone?
Don't think we're talking about the same spot, Don.

indeed, it's not where they think , or every other clown for that matter 8)

trev...the bus leaves Thursday from tewantin about 5 pm ( i may have work back..busy day :cry: )

your more than welcome...it actually be a help share the driving :idea:

if the forecasts hold friday could see us ....in a slightly overhead and perfect point break with a hand full others :D

and if not...fuc.k it...the fishings good too :lol:
return sunday
that is all :arrow:

can u all now focus your attn back on the well publised places :P
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Should be fun watching the old mal and nose rider finals on Sunday at Noosa :shock: :twisted:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm

TrevG wrote:Don't think we're talking about the same spot, Don.
Fong's alluded to it somewhat. Ben Matson told me once that that place up there fires in a cyclone swell.

On another note, worth pointing out to all that the latest GFS run has pushed TC Ului further away from the coast this weekend, thus reducing the large swells down to something a touch more manageable (smaller swells, lower period and more E/SE direction). Winds look set to howl out of the S/SE come late Sunday and into Monday as she slips southwards.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:36 am

trev, fong, digger, donweather:

if you're thinking of the same spot I am, then send me a PM or email.

I'm interstate now but spent a lot of time around there, and can point you in the direction of some less (in)famous spots that won't be crowded. I can't get there, but that doesn't mean this system should go to waste...

Need a boat for some of them. Plenty of sharks for Fong too.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:41 pm

That spot way north is the shit !!! .....and there are a couple less good but literally un-known ones I'm told .
Surgical strike by helicopter is the cripp and we working on it :lol: !! . Realsurf BBQ anyone ?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in 1770? Whoops..now I've gone and done it :oops:
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:21 pm

LONGINUS wrote:Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in 1770? Whoops..now I've gone and done it :oops:
Come on longinus, get your real admiralty charts out and send me a pm with the name and place.

1770, pfffffffffffffffffttt!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:26 pm

my considered postion at this stage is

queensland want cope with the size 8) :shock:

indeed i have doubts about northern nsw :shock:

my home grounds could well be pumping thu

dy too i rekon about sunday :idea:

and has there been any rain down Pambula way in recent times :?: :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:50 pm

We're all thinking about different places to go. When in reality, this is the swell that the bank from Johnsons - main beach has been waiting for. Fcuk the mal comp, I'm surfing right thru there.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:56 pm

Longinus:
Costa Verde, 10 Orton Ct

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:57 pm

oldman wrote:
LONGINUS wrote:Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in 1770? Whoops..now I've gone and done it :oops:
Come on longinus, get your real admiralty charts out and send me a pm with the name and place.

1770, pfffffffffffffffffttt!
:wink:

If I had the time...Gates Opening (Somerset)
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:58 pm

wistari reef?

just try not to look like a turtle. seen a tiger shark eat one in 2 mouthfuls in the passage.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:59 pm

alakaboo wrote:Longinus:
Costa Verde, 10 Orton Ct
:?:

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:04 pm

alakaboo wrote:wistari reef?

just try not to look like a turtle. seen a tiger shark eat one in 2 mouthfuls in the passage.
Ya, all the Coral Sea spots but only for a day or two I reckon, they'll be behind the path so the swell will be a lot smaller - offshore though. Rare surf