Annual ANZAC swell again?

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

Topher
regular

Re: Annual ANZAC swell again?

Post by Topher » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:21 pm

......so tomorrow morning should I head to a swell magnet? light a candle and play the last post?

Or stay in bed?

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:20 am

I lay total blame on Coops for this absolute lack of swell in Sydney. I was finally allowed back in the water this weekend, got a tiny wave yesterday, nothing today and back to work tomorrow :x
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Topher wrote:......so tomorrow morning should I head to a swell magnet? light a candle and play the last post?

Or stay in bed?

whats with the allowed bit? :?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:57 pm

Well, all I can say is Qld has another long weekend next weekend (our Labour Day long weekend ) and by god it's looking damn fecking sensational all long weekend!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:37 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Don, don't know how you could ever contemplate that swell (if you're talking about the one that hit SA late yesterday arvo and filled in across Vicco during the evening).

That was generated back over near Heard Island last weekend... way way way out of our swell window :?
Craig, any thoughts on the spike in period registered on the Sydney buoy just after midnight on 25th?
syddir.gif

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Just looks to be some erroneous data to me Don.

There's no way you can get average periods higher than peak periods :wink:

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:57 pm

brendo wrote:
Topher wrote:......so tomorrow morning should I head to a swell magnet? light a candle and play the last post?

Or stay in bed?

whats with the allowed bit? :?
:?:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:16 am

Donweather wrote: Craig, any thoughts on the spike in period registered on the Sydney buoy just after midnight on 25th? [/attachment]
hey don, was talking to the guy who manages the nsw waverider buoy program about exactly the same thing on thursday!
he said that it is due to transmission issues between the buoy and the land base. Also some problems with the email connectivity between some of the onshore bases and the MHL headquarters, so if something is missing it mucks up the whole data packet. there's no manual checking before it goes online, so you get a crazy peak.

For anyone interested:
the directional buoys do a lot more onboard number crunching before they send the signal onshore, due to the 3 accelerometers.
the non-directional ones (which will mostly be replaced with directionals in the next 6 months :D :D :D :D ) only have the 1 accelerometer.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 am

by the way, for those forecasters arguing about refraction and timing etc...
i drove from Warilla back to Sydney monday after lunch, and checked every beach and point on the way.
The first sign of the S swell was at Stanwell Park.
The swell seemed to really fill in and jump about 4:30pm at Wanda, the only place worth a paddle out. it smoothed off and got quite fun for an hour or so.

anyone else get caught inside by a 15 wave set about 4:45 yesterday? :D

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:42 pm

alakaboo wrote:hey don, was talking to the guy who manages the nsw waverider buoy program about exactly the same thing on thursday!
he said that it is due to transmission issues between the buoy and the land base. Also some problems with the email connectivity between some of the onshore bases and the MHL headquarters, so if something is missing it mucks up the whole data packet. there's no manual checking before it goes online, so you get a crazy peak.

For anyone interested:
the directional buoys do a lot more onboard number crunching before they send the signal onshore, due to the 3 accelerometers.
the non-directional ones (which will mostly be replaced with directionals in the next 6 months :D :D :D :D ) only have the 1 accelerometer.
Thanks AB. Will certainly be beneficial for us SE Qlders to have more directional buoys up the NSW east coast, particularly when those hoax S'ly swells cruise up towards our way.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:27 pm

no worries
as far as i can recall, 3 of the 4 non-directionals in NSW will be replaced this year. Can't remember which ones, and it may not work quite that quick...until recently the waverider program wasn't given funding priority.

they were also changing over the Sydney buoy on thursday morning, so it's possible that the new one wasn't set up properly.

they get hit by ships fairly regularly, the Sydney one had a big dent in it!

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:20 am

I have had a sth coast surfari planned with a group of mates for tomorrow, sat & sunday planned for about 3 months now.

At this stage it looks like the timing would have been hard to better.

:D

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Damage wrote:At this stage it looks like the timing would have been hard to better.

:D
Yup :D :D