where have all you predictors gone

What surfer doesn't care about the weather? Who hasn't predicted the arrival of a new swell? Do all of it here!

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, Forum Moderators

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Re: where have all you predictors gone

Post by jimmy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Donweather wrote:
Donweather wrote:Although I do reckon that something might just sneak under the radar for you southern folk come later Tuesday morning and into Tuesday afternoon. And with very little other swell in the water to contaminate the wave buoys, let's see what this one has to offer, with all eyes at south facing beaches of course.
So can anyone confirm if the latest Sydney wave buoy readings are in fact translating to something surfable on the ground down there at south facing beaches? With light SW/S winds, one would think there'd be some fun, albeit inconsistent waves from the S/SE.
Im at Bondi Don and it gets all available Sth Swell.. At the moment I'd say it about .5 ft...
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Don,

I saw this swell on the charts but because it will be lucky to generate anything substantial I left it off the forecast.

Not really worth mentioning unless it's gonna give us a 2-3ft swell...

Oh and winds are onshore anyway.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:08 pm

So Craig, I'm reading your other forecasts but.

Beyond the work speil that you have to do, do you feel confident of some swell over the next two weeks or are you a pessimist?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm

oldman wrote:So Craig, I'm reading your other forecasts but.

Beyond the work speil that you have to do, do you feel confident of some swell over the next two weeks or are you a pessimist?
Answer him! :lol:

Nah, seriously, im seeing a number of conflicting views for this weekend. From weak south swells to powerful east swells. Winds coming in from everywhere.

What say you forecasters?
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:01 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:Im at Bondi Don and it gets all available Sth Swell.. At the moment I'd say it about .5 ft...
Thanks Jimmy. Bugger. The long period S'ly groundswell (ir present) would be super inconsistent, so I'm assuming you've looked at the swell for a while?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Donweather wrote:
jimmy1501 wrote:Im at Bondi Don and it gets all available Sth Swell.. At the moment I'd say it about .5 ft...
Thanks Jimmy. Bugger. The long period S'ly groundswell (ir present) would be super inconsistent, so I'm assuming you've looked at the swell for a while?
25-30 mins.. Plus the wind is well and truly into it as well..
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:04 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Don,

I saw this swell on the charts but because it will be lucky to generate anything substantial I left it off the forecast.

Not really worth mentioning unless it's gonna give us a 2-3ft swell...

Oh and winds are onshore anyway.
Yeah I know Craig. I just ran some numbers when this fetch popped up last week and my calcs were indicating something larger (than modelled/forecast) to hit the east coast (at least 2-3ft at south facing beaches). This was of course assuming the fetch was not dissected by an ice shelf??

Given that there's very little other swell contamination in the water at the moment I figured that the wave buoys would be resembling the dominant S/SE groundswell, but based on Jimmy's on the ground report, it appears not?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:05 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:25-30 mins.. Plus the wind is well and truly into it as well..
Ah bugger. Thanks Jimmy.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:27 pm

BTW the way Don.. I am heading up to Chillin's place at Easter which is near Port Macq.. How do you reckon it is looking??
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Coops@DY wrote: Answer him! :lol:

Nah, seriously, im seeing a number of conflicting views for this weekend. From weak south swells to powerful east swells. Winds coming in from everywhere.

What say you forecasters?
You heard Coops, answer the man!

They may be waiting for the next forecasting run Coops.

Edit; geez the forecasts are moving around. Currently looks better for low forming off the south coast, reasonable swell and onshore (SE winds) but now showing possibility of a low nicely positioned in the Tasman for weekend and good part of next week.

Wait for Craig.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Been more so looking at the models updates regarding Vicco rather than the East Coast, but without having a comprehensive look over everything I think it's safe to say that you guys are gonna get a good dose of swell from the east to south-east.. especially when we're all over here!

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:40 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Been more so looking at the models updates regarding Vicco rather than the East Coast, but without having a comprehensive look over everything I think it's safe to say that you guys are gonna get a good dose of swell from the east to south-east.. especially when we're all over here!
Craig does that mean nothing for Easter????
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
Donweather wrote:
Donweather wrote:Although I do reckon that something might just sneak under the radar for you southern folk come later Tuesday morning and into Tuesday afternoon. And with very little other swell in the water to contaminate the wave buoys, let's see what this one has to offer, with all eyes at south facing beaches of course.
So can anyone confirm if the latest Sydney wave buoy readings are in fact translating to something surfable on the ground down there at south facing beaches? With light SW/S winds, one would think there'd be some fun, albeit inconsistent waves from the S/SE.
Im at Bondi Don and it gets all available Sth Swell.. At the moment I'd say it about .5 ft...
Very occasional 1.5ft set at nth ends of bate bay every 20min or so and they did have more push than the other junky waves. was still shitty.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks Topher.

And Jimmy, as for the easter forecast, models are still spastically divergent, but no matter which model you look at, there'll be swell. Just a question as to whether it's wind affected, junky mid range SE swell or long range, well lined E'ly groundswell. Either way, something in the 4-5ft class for later into the long weekend is not out of the question, but if this is the SE mid range swell, it's likely to be howling S/SE winds so expect smaller conditions inside the protected headlands.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:26 pm

Was that some SE swell I just saw on Monday? Any chance of some of it left, next couple, four days?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 pm

So how's your optimism holding up fellas.

Boy! what a run of swell we're experiencing! Those late season cyclones are really doing their fcuken job hey.

back to sleep till late May folks.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Mid Autumn Report Card.

Northern Rivers B+

Gold Coast A

Sunny Coast C-

Hows Steak and Kid faring?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:38 pm

steve shearer wrote:Hows Steak and Kid faring?
Various pulses of average to sweet south swell over the last two weeks combined with some of the finest autumnal weather known to man, though not big enough to satisfy Carroll's bigger wave appetites.

Well, not quite autumnal, as the mornings haven't been cool.

Isn't 'autumnal' one of the finest adjectives of the english language!